TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "Lifetime Subscription" on CC DTivo? No way! <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jlin is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 06:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jlin Find more posts by jlin Add jlin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jlin

Post "Lifetime Subscription" on CC DTivo? No way!

I bought one of the 'free' Philips DTV from Circuit City.

Personally I like to buy "Lifetime" subscription to many things but not this case.

First of all, I'm a new Tivo, concurrently using DISH's 501 PVR and ReplayTV. So I'm used to services that don't have monthly fees at all.

Secondly, I think one's better off putting the $250 into a good mutual fund or stock and see it grow over the next 25 months. I'm sure by the end of the 25 months, you'll have more money than right now.

Lastly, who knows if Tivo will still be around 25 months from now. Maybe there's another company offering similar or better service for lower price. So the monthly $10 deal is better way to subscribe to Tivo.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PRMan is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 07:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PRMan Visit PRMan's homepage! Find more posts by PRMan Add PRMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PRMan

Unless you buy 2 or more units, then the rest of them are free.

------------------
PRMan

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 08:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

It's so cool that currently there is a choice! I hate monthly fees, and jumped at the lifetime service. If you check out what Tivos on eBay are selling for, note the difference between those with lifetime service and those without...

------------------
Brett
<FONT size="1">
Taliban motto: "If we can build a ladder to put a man on the roof, we can defeat the United States!"
</FONT s>

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivolovit is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 08:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivolovit Find more posts by tivolovit Add tivolovit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivolovit

WAY! Come with the rest of us and play, because TiVo ROCKS! and it's here to stay....Everyone say AMEN $245 sound investment

TiVoloViT

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

qwertyasd is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 09:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for qwertyasd Find more posts by qwertyasd Add qwertyasd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qwertyasd
Advanced Member

I'm not getting a lifetime sub. Here's why. After speaking with a knowledgeable rep at DirecTV (wasn't easy to find) I found out that the only way a lifetime sub is transferred to a new receiver is if it is replaced by the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure this discludes retailer's extended warranties. So when your receiver goes kaput, you lose the subscription, unless it's within the 90 day warranty.

If you invest the $249 in something with even minimal growth (5%), or better yet, knock $250 off your credit card bills, it will "pay" your monthly fees for about 27 months. If my primary receiver lasts that long, I'll be happy. I'm betting it won't.

The $99 yearly subscription was a good deal. So good that DirecTV discontinued it.

Rob

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gai-jin is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gai-jin Find more posts by Gai-jin Add Gai-jin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gai-jin
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyasd:
I'm not getting a lifetime sub. Here's why. After speaking with a knowledgeable rep at DirecTV (wasn't easy to find) I found out that the only way a lifetime sub is transferred to a new receiver is if it is replaced by the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure this discludes retailer's extended warranties. So when your receiver goes kaput, you lose the subscription, unless it's within the 90 day warranty.

Actually, if the unit is replaced by any sort of authorized service provider/service plan, you can transfer the lifetime. This has always been tivo's policy.

I'm not sure about the 99/year, last I knew that was still available, but It may have been discontinued. Maybe you could call tivo to confirm.

You must always take what the DTV CSR's say with a grain of salt regarding tivos/tivo service. Most of them only know what the computer tells them when they enter something in wrong.

Steve

------------------

<FONT COLOR="Black">Proud to be a member of the Tivolution.</FONT c>

<FONT COLOR="Red">Even Prouder to be an American.</FONT c>

<FONT COLOR="blue">Gai-jin
</FONT c>

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpelunkerBob is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpelunkerBob Find more posts by SpelunkerBob Add SpelunkerBob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpelunkerBob

quote:
I'm pretty sure this discludes retailer's extended warranties.

I'm not so sure that it does. Total cost of the Tivo with 5 year warranty $136 - $100 rebate + $250 Lifetime Service = $286 for a guaranteed 60 months of viewing, and possibly more.
I'll take the chance knowing if I decide to get a different model later it will hold some value unlike my $9.95 / month payment which would be gone.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

qwertyasd is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 09:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for qwertyasd Find more posts by qwertyasd Add qwertyasd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qwertyasd
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Gai-jin:

Actually, if the unit is replaced by any sort of authorized service provider/service plan, you can transfer the lifetime. This has always been tivo's policy.

Steve

Does TiVo have a list of authorized providers? Are self hacked receivers eligable? If this is the case, I'd consider a lifetime sub.

Rob

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Here is the math:

Monthly $9.95/month X 5 years = $597

Lifetime $250 + $25 Five Year Warranty= $275

Thats a $322 savings which is a 54% return on your money.

Can you get that with investing it?

------------------
TiVo has forever changed the way I view TV!

Check out my Tivo Upgrade page...Still under contruction but has photos and instructions of upgrade.
http://www.tivo.kpog.com

To understand LNB's & Multiswitches, read this post:
<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html</A>

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

qwertyasd is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 10:07 AM
qwertyasd
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm:
Here is the math:

Monthly $9.95/month X 5 years = $597

Lifetime $250 + $25 Five Year Warranty= $275

Thats a $322 savings which is a 54% return on your money.

Can you get that with investing it?

So where do I get the $25 5 year warranty? Does it have to be purchased with the unit?

[This message has been edited by qwertyasd (edited 10-12-2001).]

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 10:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

If you buy at Circuit City for the $99 price, you can get the 5 year warranty for 5 years. If you didn't buy when you first purchased, you can still add the 5 year warranty within 30 days of your purchase.

The extended warranty price is based on the price of the unit...I originally paid $89 for a 5 year warranty on my Sony T60's since they were $399 each.

No one would pay $89 for an extended warranty for a product that is $99, so they discount the price of the warranty as well as the unit.

------------------

Check out my Tivo Upgrade page...Still under contruction but has photos and instructions of upgrade.

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TIVOROCKS is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 10:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TIVOROCKS Find more posts by TIVOROCKS Add TIVOROCKS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TIVOROCKS
and money talks

Cool

What's a better investment...renting your home or owning it?Ahhhh...I happily paid the $249

------------------
There can be only one!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

qwertyasd is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 10:58 AM
qwertyasd
Advanced Member

So if I didn't buy at CC, where do I get an extended warranty?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 11:25 AM
unixadm

I don't think you can get an extended warranty from anywhere but where you purchased....and usually it's only offered by the large chain stores (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc).

------------------

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gai-jin is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 11:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gai-jin Find more posts by Gai-jin Add Gai-jin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gai-jin
Advanced Member

The policy of lifetime subscription being tied to the machine is tivo's policy, not directv's. I'm not certain who tivo considers to be authorized to replace a unit for service reasons, but Richard has made it clear in the past that if you take a unit back to the place of purchase and it is exchanged as defective, not repaired, the exchange qualifies as an authorized repair. He's also made it clear that this applies even after the tivo warranty expires. The posts I'm thinking of are probably at least a year old, but if you search the archives I'm sure you can find them.

Steve

------------------

<FONT COLOR="Black">Proud to be a member of the Tivolution.</FONT c>

<FONT COLOR="Red">Even Prouder to be an American.</FONT c>

<FONT COLOR="blue">Gai-jin
</FONT c>

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-12-2001 07:38 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeffX2

Will TIVO still let you convert to a Lifetime if you've already started an account with monthly? I really didn't think about the differences when I bought my unit last month.

Jeff

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 07:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

quote:
Originally posted by JeffX2:
Will TIVO still let you convert to a Lifetime if you've already started an account with monthly? I really didn't think about the differences when I bought my unit last month.

Jeff

Yep! In fact, I think they'll apply the last month's monthly fee towards the lifetime fee!

------------------
Brett
<FONT size="1">
Taliban motto: "If we can build a ladder to put a man on the roof, we can defeat the United States!"
</FONT s>

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Scooter is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 08:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter Find more posts by Scooter Add Scooter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scooter

quote:
Originally posted by JeffX2:

Jeff

I'm sure TiVo will be glad to accept your $250.
You can upgrade to lifetime anytime you wish.

Welcome to the TiVolution!!
Scooter

------------------
4 Philips D-TiVos 1 hacked to 107 hours
1 Sony D-TiVo
1 S/A Philips TiVo Hacked to 103 hours
Auto Racing Enthusiast and gear head.

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 10-12-2001).]

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kgebauer is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kgebauer Find more posts by kgebauer Add kgebauer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kgebauer

MY Problem with the "lifetime plan" is that I can't conceive of having the same TiVO unit in 18 months, let alone 5 years.

I'll admit it, I'm a gadget-aholic... and I'm sure that there'll be something newer, better, bigger, etc. in much less time than monthly fees=lifetime subscription.

Now, if the lifetime subscription could be moved to a new unit ....

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 10-12-2001 09:00 PM
unixadm

quote:
Originally posted by kgebauer:
MY Problem with the "lifetime plan" is that I can't conceive of having the same TiVO unit in 18 months, let alone 5 years.

I'll admit it, I'm a gadget-aholic... and I'm sure that there'll be something newer, better, bigger, etc. in much less time than monthly fees=lifetime subscription.

Now, if the lifetime subscription could be moved to a new unit ....

Well, even if you decide to buy a "new and improved" model in the future (when they eventually come out), you can still keep lifetime as long as you keep the original active.

You could always put the unit with lifetime in another room on a different TV just to keep it active while you put the "new and improved" box in your main watching area.

------------------

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged