TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Will one multiswitch split one LNB signal to 3 receivers <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ronlong is offline Old Post 12-07-2001 12:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ronlong Find more posts by ronlong Add ronlong to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronlong

Post Will one multiswitch split one LNB signal to 3 receivers

I know this subject may have been beat to death but I am still a bit confused. I am contemplating buying the Hughes DirectTV/Tivo with 2 receivers. Question. Since I already have a Sony DirectTV receiver which I want to keep, can I split the coaxial cable signal coming into the DirectTV and output the signal to the existing Sony DirecTV and then put the other 2 cables into the Hughes Tivo? I want to modulate the 2 signals throughout the house on a the frequency modulator I now use. I don't really care about dual signals from the Tivo going to each room but I do want to have separate satellite signals so my wife and I can choose our own viewing. Please advise. P.S. I already have a dual LNB dish but unfortunately the existing cable run from the dish is upstairs and the current dish receiver is downstairs where the frequency modulator is locate. So can I split the one LNB feed into 3 feeds? Thanks folks.

Ron

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 12-07-2001 12:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Do a search for the user "unixadm" he has several links in the signature part of his posts that will explain what you need to know about "multiswitches". That's what you will need and it will get the sat signal to each of the your units. You seem to be confused on the Hughes Directv/tivo unit - it has two tuners, not two recievers. It can bring in two different programs at once (and record both of them) - but will only output one thing at a time. So if you and the wife want to watch two different things simultaneously one of you will be using the old Sony DSS receiver.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 12-07-2001 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Thanks willard.

ronlong...as willard mentioned, read the post referenced in my sig....it will give you a basic understanding of how LNB's and Multiswitches work.

You cannot use regular splitters, and you must have both cables from a Dual LNB dish going into the multiswitch.

------------------
TiVo has forever changed the way I view TV!

Check out my Tivo Upgrade page...Has photos and instructions of upgrade.
http://www.tivoupgrade.info

To understand LNB's & Multiswitches, read this post:
<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/003608.html" TARGET=_blank>
LNB & Multiswitch Explanation</A>

<A HREF="http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/005640.html" TARGET=_blank>
Which Multiswitch and where to Buy </A>

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Want1394 is offline Old Post 12-07-2001 04:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Want1394 Find more posts by Want1394 Add Want1394 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Want1394
TiVo Forum Special Member

And to throw in another 2 cents - look for feldon23 posts that have a great diagram showing the good stuff unixadm explains.

------------------
TOTAL Digital

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 12-07-2001 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Here it comes! From the Bob Barker studio... wait, that's another quote.

Time to rip the single LNB off your dish and replace it with a dual LNB. By the way, you can't tell if it's a single LNB or dual LNB except by the number of coaxial outputs on it.

A splitter absolutely won't work unless you don't mind all the TVs in your house being locked to only see half the channels. And a DirecTiVo won't initialize unless it can see both ODD and EVEN transponders.

[This message has been edited by feldon23 (edited 12-07-2001).]

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged