TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Monthly Price Increase <<<

Pages (36): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool Monthly Price Increase for Standalone TiVo Recorders

Hey Folks,

I wanted to make sure you were the first to know that TiVo has decided to increase the price of Monthly TiVo Service from $9.95 to $12.95 for standalone customers, not DIRECTV customers. This is our first increase in 3 years. I assure you that we considered this decision very carefully.

We are offering a promotion for subscribers who want to switch from Monthly to Lifetime Service (Product Lifetime) for $199.

Monthly customers will soon receive a card with the details. I'll be happy to answer questions.

Cheers,
-RB

Last edited by TiVolutionary on 02-27-2002 at 03:06 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyf is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyf Visit andyf's homepage! Find more posts by andyf Add andyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyf
Long time TiVo user

OK, everybody currently on lifetime, RUN FOR THE HILLS ....

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

martinp13 is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for martinp13 Visit martinp13's homepage! Find more posts by martinp13 Add martinp13 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
martinp13
Official Texas TIVO

Ouch... three bucks... couldn't ya have just made it $1 more every couple of years? I'm getting my earplugs ready... this isn't going to be pretty.

(and did ya notice that RB posted it right as he went out the door to lunch? I bet he's not coming back this afternoon)

TC-Con 05/Las Vegas : Come on, you KNOW you want to go! Check it out!

"We're out of our elephant..." - uncdrew's client
"My implants are frozen!" - One of the bimbos who slept on a glacier in The Amazing Race 6

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Pan Chun is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Pan Chun Find more posts by Pan Chun Add Pan Chun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pan Chun
Gone now

Thumbs down

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

That's huge. Helluva deal though for existing customers. Get your lifetime sub while you can.

I assume this applies to both combos and SAs?

Does DirecTV know about the promotion, or are we going to have to fight the CSRs if we want to switch?

What's the time frame for the change in price?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chrishay is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chrishay Visit chrishay's homepage! Find more posts by chrishay Add chrishay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chrishay
Seriously...I can't

Re: Monthly Price Increase

Okay - I'll start.

quote:
Originally posted by TiVolutionary
I'll be happy to answer questions.

Can we expect new services or upgrades for Series 1 users with the new price? I don't guess I'm irate about paying more, but I'd like to think the money is going to improve the (already very cool) service.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVolutionary Find more posts by TiVolutionary Add TiVolutionary to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

quote:
Originally posted by martinp13

(and did ya notice that RB posted it right as he went out the door to lunch? I bet he's not coming back this afternoon)

Nope. Right here. Fire at will.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graymalkin is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

quote:
Originally posted by andyf
OK, everybody currently on lifetime, RUN FOR THE HILLS ....

Um, why?

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Frylock is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frylock Find more posts by Frylock Add Frylock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

What are the time frames?

I just got my tivo players in the mail (2 Phillips DSR6000 DirecTivo's) and am awaiting installation. Should I just go monthly plan and then wait for the deal to upgrade to lifetime for 200 bucks now or what?

*update* just read the edited post. I wonder if more ppl will switch to the DirecTV option now.

Last edited by Frylock on 03-01-2002 at 02:58 AM

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graymalkin is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

quote:

OK, here's one from a three-time lifetime subscriber: There's absolutely NO chance that you'll ever demand more money from lifetime subscribers, right?

And are lifetime subscriptions still $249?

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVolutionary is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:34 AM
TiVolutionary
Unemployed Geek

Cool

I edited to clarify that it is only Standalone TiVos. It is much cheaper for us to service DIRECTV receivers, so we did not increase the price there.

As for new services on Series 1 units, you will continue to see improvements with each release.

-RB

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chrishay is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chrishay Visit chrishay's homepage! Find more posts by chrishay Add chrishay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chrishay
Seriously...I can't

quote:
As for new services on Series 1 units, you will continue to see improvements with each release.

-RB

I guess that's my real question...what improvements are planned for Series 1 in exchange for this new pricing plan?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

martinp13 is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for martinp13 Visit martinp13's homepage! Find more posts by martinp13 Add martinp13 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
martinp13
Official Texas TIVO

quote:

Oh, I have no problem with it. I ordered lifetime service for $199 within 5 minutes of opening the carton in Jan 2001. That's why I was getting my earplugs ready, instead of complaining.

TC-Con 05/Las Vegas : Come on, you KNOW you want to go! Check it out!

"We're out of our elephant..." - uncdrew's client
"My implants are frozen!" - One of the bimbos who slept on a glacier in The Amazing Race 6

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonehead is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonehead Find more posts by bonehead Add bonehead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonehead
TiVo Forum Special Member

Two questions:

1) How long is the reduced price for upgrading to lifetime expected to last?

2) Is that promotion only for people upgrading from monthly to lifetime, or would the $200 price apply to a new unit as well?

And you give me one more reason
One more reason....

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Smile

Glad I got my life time for $200. It will pay off sooner now.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

Re: Monthly Price Increase

quote:

Monthly customers will soon receive a card with the details. I'll be happy to answer questions.

Can we take advantage of the $200 deal before we receive these 'cards' in the mail? That is if this applies to combo units as previously asked.

[edit] Nevermind, I now see it's not for DirecTivo customers.[/edit]

My Home Theater

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dafaso is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dafaso Find more posts by Dafaso Add Dafaso to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dafaso
Gay as a goat!

Can I call TiVo right now to switch to the $200 lifetime deal? Will the CS people know about it?

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

McDope is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for McDope Find more posts by McDope Add McDope to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McDope

Unhappy Stating the obvious.

This doesn't seem like a real great move considering that one of the percieved barriers that people have about TiVo is the very existence of a monthly fee.

Also, I would expect the service to get cheaper over time as more people sign up and the economies of scale kick in.

I wonder if the real motive here is to see how many people they can drive into "lifetime" for a quick infusion of cash. That's not a very optimistic thought...

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

emathieu is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for emathieu Find more posts by emathieu Add emathieu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emathieu

quote:
what improvements are planned for Series 1 in exchange for this new pricing plan?

Well, I don't think the price increase is because of any new improvements, but they will continue to come (as they always have). Just think of it as a price change, they don't always come with new features (think when the phone company raises it's rates). I'm not thrilled at the idea of a price hike, but I'll gladly support it if it means I can continue to enjoy my TiVo (and receive future updates).

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avhokie is offline Old Post 02-27-2002 01:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avhokie Find more posts by avhokie Add avhokie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avhokie
HSCFHS

30% increase =

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged