TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Anyone watch "Small Town Ecstacy" on HBO's Investigative Reports? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nayrbb is offline Old Post 05-06-2002 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nayrbb Find more posts by nayrbb Add nayrbb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nayrbb
Snap Into a SlimJim

Anyone watch "Small Town Ecstacy" on HBO's America Undercover?

What a truly disturbing show. That 40 year old guy rolling on X with his 15 and 12 years olds and refusing to stop even after he lost visitation rights and went to jail. I know all families have their crap to deal with but that was unbelievable.

Here's a link:

http://www.hbo.com/americaundercover/ecstasy/

Last edited by nayrbb on 05-06-2002 at 10:35 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 05-06-2002 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

You're right; it was really disturbing. The look on his daughter's face was absolutely heartbreakingwhen she realized what her dad's choice would be if it came down to choosing between never seeing his kids again and doing Ecstasy.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

byrnebv is offline Old Post 05-06-2002 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for byrnebv Find more posts by byrnebv Add byrnebv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
byrnebv
Advanced Member

The father picked one heck of a time to take an interest in drugs. He has so much to lose and doesn't care that he did. In this case, drugs are the devil. His kids deserve better.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gseeg is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gseeg Find more posts by gseeg Add gseeg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gseeg

Yep. One of the most disturbing things I have ever watched. The story itself is unbelievable enough, and then when you heap on the fact that he let himself be filmed is too much for me to fathom. At least at the end, the kids seemed like maybe they might be seeing the direction that drugs take you. Even the son's drug dealing roomie seemed like he had more brains than the dad, about letting the 13 year old do drugs. The father has to be one of the sickest people I've ever seen.

Glenn

Last edited by gseeg on 05-07-2002 at 09:36 PM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

anolin is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for anolin Find more posts by anolin Add anolin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anolin
Tizzle Vizzle

Really a sad, disturbing story.

His daughter asks him if he still considers himself a Christian and he says: "I believe that Hitler went to heaven."

Wow.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

knownzero is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 04:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for knownzero Find more posts by knownzero Add knownzero to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knownzero
Alive is pain

Disturbing?!? Not quite. If you think that's disturbing, have I got some stories for you. Like the saying goes, you ain't seen nothin' yet....
Wow, are you guys really that sheltered? I know most people on here are fairly conservative, but wow.... Please don't take offense by that, but it just seems that I've seen a whole lot of stuff and family situations waaay more messed up than that.

Art is very often relegated to a small corner of this modern society. In doing so, many of the ties between art, life, and learning have been severed. Art is an integral part of the human experience. Whether it be formal or informal, the discovery of oneself through creation is something that everyone goes through in life. All the arts, not just the visual, provide the tools needed to make this self-discovery. To make art is to be alive. It is about living one's original ideas, rather than repeating those of others.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gseeg is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 10:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gseeg Find more posts by gseeg Add gseeg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gseeg

quote:
Originally posted by knownzero
Disturbing?!? Not quite. If you think that's disturbing, have I got some stories for you. Like the saying goes, you ain't seen nothin' yet....
Wow, are you guys really that sheltered? I know most people on here are fairly conservative, but wow.... Please don't take offense by that, but it just seems that I've seen a whole lot of stuff and family situations waaay more messed up than that.

Well, I hope I'm never so "worldly" as you that seeing a father participating in and encouraging his 18, 15, and 13 year old children into doing drugs doesn't disturb me.

To me, a parent abusing a child physically, sexually, or mentally will always be the most disturbing, and I consider it the ultimate betrayal of trust and responsibility.

Glenn

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nayrbb is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 10:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nayrbb Find more posts by nayrbb Add nayrbb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nayrbb
Snap Into a SlimJim

I agree Glenn...of course I've seen many more visually disturbing things in my life but buying and letting your young kids do X on camera and then being able to go home or to work or to sleep for that matter and rationalizing that "they would do it anyway" is just plain disturbing. Being a father myself I couldn't even comprehend doing something like that. It's just absolutley F*#%ed.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

He had problems before the drugs.

Yet another attempt to demonize Ecstacy.

All ecstacy does is loosen your inhibitions (much like alcohol) and doesn't "make you" do anything. It just shows what you would REALLY do if your inhibitions were dropped (aka, having sex with someone vs. not, making comments about your boss, friends, etc.).

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nayrbb is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 10:23 PM
nayrbb
Snap Into a SlimJim

feldon23....you sound just like that Scott guy on the show. Ecstacy is a dangerous drug that has serious long term affects to the brain not to mention it can just plain kill you. Plus you never know if you are really getting what you think is X. Anything made in a lab and mixed with all sorts of different chemicals does far more than "loosen your inhibitions." What an utterly ignorant reply.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

byrnebv is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for byrnebv Find more posts by byrnebv Add byrnebv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
byrnebv
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by knownzero

I'm glad I don't live "Somewhere between zero and infinity." Sounds like a really scary place.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nayrbb is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 10:41 PM
nayrbb
Snap Into a SlimJim

Oh and here's what Ecstacy does while it just allows your inhibitions to be lowered.

Brain imaging research in humans indicates that MDMA causes injury to the brain, affecting neurons that use the chemical serotonin to communicate with other neurons. The serotonin system plays a direct role in regulating mood, aggression, sexual activity, sleep, and sensitivity to pain. Many of the risks users face with MDMA use are similar to those found with the use of cocaine and amphetamines:

Psychological difficulties, including confusion, depression, sleep problems, drug craving, severe anxiety, and paranoia - during and sometimes weeks after taking MDMA.

Physical symptoms such as muscle tension, involuntary teeth clenching, nausea, blurred vision, rapid eye movement, faintness, and chills or sweating.

Increases in heart rate and blood pressure, a special risk for people with circulatory or heart disease.

Also, there is evidence that people who develop a rash that looks like acne after using MDMA may be risking severe side effects, including liver damage, if they continue to use the drug.

Research links MDMA use to long-term damage to those parts of the brain critical to thought and memory. One study, in primates, showed that exposure to MDMA for 4 days caused brain damage that was evident 6 to 7 years later.

MDA, the parent drug of MDMA, is an amphetamine-like drug that has also been abused and is similar in chemical structure to MDMA. Research shows that MDA also destroys serotonin-producing neurons in the brain.

MDMA also is related in its structure and effects to methamphetamine, which has been shown to cause degeneration of neurons containing the neurotransmitter dopamine. Damage to these neurons is the underlying cause of the motor disturbances seen in Parkinson's disease. Symptoms of this disease begin with lack of coordination and tremors and can eventually result in a form of paralysis.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Originally posted by nayrbb
feldon23....you sound just like that Scott guy on the show. Ecstacy is a dangerous drug that has serious long term affects to the brain not to mention it can just plain kill you. Plus you never know if you are really getting what you think is X. Anything made in a lab and mixed with all sorts of different chemicals does far more than "loosen your inhibitions." What an utterly ignorant reply.

Well, I'm not going to go into the research on MDMA, which has been heavily slanted in both directions.

It still is a fallacy to say that MDMA was this guy's problem. He has deeper emotional and psychological issues. The drug certainly isn't helping, but it's not THIS drug in particular. This same thing happens a thousand times over with alcohol abuse, but we don't see HBO specials about it.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 05-07-2002 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
Originally posted by stormsweeper
Well, I'm not going to go into the research on MDMA, which has been heavily slanted in both directions.

I agree completely. If I really wanted, I could pull up a pretty long list of nasty things that research has shown happens from drinking diet cola. This guy abuses X because he has some serious problems. I really doubt it's the other way around.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

knownzero is offline Old Post 05-08-2002 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for knownzero Find more posts by knownzero Add knownzero to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knownzero
Alive is pain

quote:
I'm glad I don't live "Somewhere between zero and infinity." Sounds like a really scary place.

Trust me, sometimes it hasn't always been a nice place to be. I've seen a lot of stuff like this before from parents and their kids, so I guess that since I've been exposed to it for so long it's just a given. Bad thing it was heroin, not X so really, in the grand scheme of things as far as danger and abuse goes, X isn't nearly as bad. At least you can get out alive on X if you decide to quit, damaged, but alive...

Art is very often relegated to a small corner of this modern society. In doing so, many of the ties between art, life, and learning have been severed. Art is an integral part of the human experience. Whether it be formal or informal, the discovery of oneself through creation is something that everyone goes through in life. All the arts, not just the visual, provide the tools needed to make this self-discovery. To make art is to be alive. It is about living one's original ideas, rather than repeating those of others.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 05-08-2002 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by anolin
Really a sad, disturbing story.

His daughter asks him if he still considers himself a Christian and he says: "I believe that Hitler went to heaven."

Wow.

Yes it was very disturbing, as the dad clearly had issues and his destructive mid-life crisis was tearing apart his family and the future of his children. But this comment in particular I think was taken out of context. The father was saying something to the effect that his belief in Christianity has diminished, but that he still believed that God loves *everyone,* even the worst amongst us.

I watched that sequence a few times, to try and see what I'd missed in the editing. No, the father wasn't turning into an anti-Semite on us to make matters worse. He was just trying to explain (with what little brain cells he has left) that he hangs on to the hope that God loves everyone as a human being, despite what mistakes/crimes/atrocities they might have committed on earth. To make his point he picked the worst human he could think of.

Granted, it's a perverse way to justify poor living, and perhaps just a way for him to sleep better at night. Either way, I felt bad for the family, I felt bad for the father, most of all I felt bad for the mother and her kids -- they are all in serious need of professional help.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ttyler1999 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 12:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ttyler1999 Find more posts by ttyler1999 Add ttyler1999 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttyler1999
H-Dog in the Hizouse

Location: Newark, Delaware, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, This Universe

Exclamation Latest Update!

Well, it looks like this guy was finally arrested based on the HBO documentary. I have to wonder why it took so long since it has been at lease a couple of months since the documentary aired. Also there is a quote from the D.A. where he said that he didn't think it was appropriate for the documentary crew to stand by and watch this man give his kids ecstasy (I had the same thought while watching the show). Now, I'm no prude (actually far from it), but where does someone making a documentary draw the line an step in and put a stop to things?

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmyers is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmyers Find more posts by pmyers Add pmyers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmyers
TiVo Forum Special Member

The guys at National Geographic could step in and save the gazelle from the tiger too.....

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigcb37 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigcb37 Find more posts by bigcb37 Add bigcb37 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigcb37
Willing Member

I think this guys problem was the fact that he is an idiot. When you mix a drug like Ex with someone that clearly cannot make rational decisions that is what you get. People like him are why the masses oppose drug use. If people were smarter about their use then many of the negative steroetypes about drug users would be untrue.

In the show even the kids got tired of Ex...its a phase...he just couldnt get over it. Its a shame. I bet you those kids actually stay away from drugs because of their dad though. They have seen what can happen up close and personal. That will scare them from drug use I imagine.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ttyler1999 is offline Old Post 06-15-2002 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ttyler1999 Find more posts by ttyler1999 Add ttyler1999 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttyler1999
H-Dog in the Hizouse

Location: Newark, Delaware, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, This Universe

quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
The guys at National Geographic could step in and save the gazelle from the tiger too.....

First of all these are human beings, not animals, and second of all this is a lot more up close and personal. Are you telling me that if you were filming a child for a documentary and someone came up and attacked or mugged that child that you would go right on filming?

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged