TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> "Politically Incorrect" Bites the Dust <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
susanandmark is offline Old Post 05-14-2002 11:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for susanandmark Find more posts by susanandmark Add susanandmark to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
susanandmark

"Politically Incorrect" Bites the Dust

As has been long speculated--ever since Bill Maher's post-September 11th poor choice of words--ABC has opted out of "Politically Incorrect," which will go bye-bye at the end of this year.

It will be replaced with an as-yet-unnamed chat show hosted by Jimmy Kimmel.

I didn't always agree with Maher, and I didn't watch the show on any sort of a regular basis, but I've enjoyed tuning in from time to time since his days at Comedy Central. Agree or don't agree, it's often nice to hear a whole lot of opinions on any subject, instead of only the homogenized "right" version most news organizations dish out.

source: http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?25887

TiVo user since 1999

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeTiVo is offline Old Post 05-14-2002 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeTiVo Visit JoeTiVo's homepage! Find more posts by JoeTiVo Add JoeTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeTiVo
HD or Tivo? Hmm...

Yes, this decision by ABC blows. They're killing some really good shows. I was a big fan of the show. I recorded every episode and watched them faithfully each weekend. I OFTEN disagreed with Maher's opinions, but as you say, it was good to hear his and others express them.

I hope he takes his show on the road again. He moved from Comedy Central to ABC. Here's hoping he can go somewhere like FX. With what they get away with on 'The Shield', he could have a very interesting show on that 'network'.

My Home Theater

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 12:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

Too bad...he was just starting to recover from his post-9/11, "George Bush is God, Muslims are evil, and if you disagree with me you're a terrorist" phase, which made the show virtually unwatchable for months.

But last night, he hinted that he'll be doing something with a longer format in the future...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanT is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 12:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanT Find more posts by DanT Add DanT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanT
In Absentia

And what were they thinking replacing him with anything done by Jimmy Kimmel? I hate that guy, and I can't believe anyone in the world finds him funny.

SB: "Captain, do you mind if I say Grace?"
MR: "Only if you say it out loud."

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mickeymammoth is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 03:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mickeymammoth Find more posts by mickeymammoth Add mickeymammoth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mickeymammoth

I watch this show religiously, too. What a shame. I love Bill Maher. Plus he constantly plugs his Prius, so he appeals to my geek side.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unoriginal is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 04:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unoriginal Find more posts by unoriginal Add unoriginal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unoriginal
$29.95

Wink

Sorry, this is my fault. I just started watching the show a few weeks ago.

All words above are not actual sentences but random letters, spaces and the occasional punctuation. I can not be held responsible for the meaning you get from these random letters. I can however be held responsible for the spaces.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 05:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

lol unoriginal!!

-John

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 07:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

HBO would be a great place for Bill.

You don't have to like him his politics or what he says to enjoy the show. I happen to agree with him a lot of the time. Doesn't matter. The show was interesting, his guests were good and had just as valid opinions as anybody on the Sunday morning shows, and it was nice to see some celebrities show they had 1/2 a brain once in a while.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 07:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

I watched him for a bit pre-tivo and enjoyed it. The only reason I know he is gone is because my conservative talk-show morning host mentioned it this morning. (no mourning for him)

I agree on HBO, he could and would be able to continue on.

-John

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mostman is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 09:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mostman Find more posts by mostman Add mostman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mostman
TiVo Forum Special Member

It was an alright show - However, I really don't like any forum that gives total idiots an audience. And trust you me - he put a pant-load of idiots on that show.

Nothing worse than an idiot on TV. Listening to them pisses me off. Almost as much as it pisses me off knowing that those idiots think they are now somehow smarter and more enlightened than they were 3 hours ago because they are on that show. Almost as much as it pisses me off knowing that there is some idiot out there watching the idiot and saying "wow - he/she is REALLY smart - they like know the capital of like far away countries and stuff."

Maybe I just hate idiots.

-Mike

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ronsch is offline Old Post 05-15-2002 11:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ronsch Find more posts by ronsch Add ronsch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronsch
Advanced Member

Yes, but he always seems to make the total idiots look like total idiots!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jerobi is offline Old Post 05-16-2002 11:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jerobi Find more posts by jerobi Add jerobi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerobi
News/Deal Junkie

I also must chime in with my dissappointment. PI was an excellent show. It was the only place on TV where you could see the REAL viewpoints of celebrities and really judge their level of intelligence.

Not every issue was great, not every viewpoint was enlightening. But Bill has the ability to really pull comments out of the panel and get a good discussion going. I still believe that our PC world is to blame for his departure, and how sad has this world become when even post-midnight television must be sanitized for our protection? Bill's comment on terrorism was a valid point...even if it was said in a time of heated emotions and heightened national pride. It's a sorry state of affairs when not everyone is entitled to an opinion...

Here's hoping that HBO picks up the show. It's produced by them, so at least we have a shot...

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jerrymc is offline Old Post 05-21-2002 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jerrymc Find more posts by jerrymc Add jerrymc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrymc
TiVo Tinker

Sorry, I can't agree with what seems to be the majority opinion here. I won't be sad to see Maher go. It's really hard to take the guy seriously given the numbskulls he'd have on. The guy was about ratings, nothing more. He'd say
anything as long as it was controversial enough to get attention. He just went a bit too far and got booted. Maybe he can make a go at an afternoon format ala Jerry Springer or Sally Jesse.

Don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out, Bill.

Just my $0.02

-Jerry

Philips DSR7000 - 120hrs

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zalusky is offline Old Post 05-22-2002 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zalusky Find more posts by zalusky Add zalusky to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zalusky

I dont think Bill had much choice in the guests. I think the network just picks from the marketing junkets floating about: Books, Movies, TV.
They counter balanced it with politicos when they were available and created a few themes like Mob week but I will bet Bill didnt have much control there. He did probably have control over the topic, monolog, and the actual interaction though(I would guess although earphones probably controlled that too).

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 05-23-2002 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmdeane Find more posts by dmdeane Add dmdeane to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Politically Incorrect: a show which never lived up to its name.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

badcrc is offline Old Post 05-29-2002 08:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for badcrc Find more posts by badcrc Add badcrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
badcrc
Thread Killer

quote:
Originally posted by dmdeane
Politically Incorrect: a show which never lived up to its name.

For some of the guests, you're right, but definitely not because of Maher. PI is my favorite show, I've watched it since its conception, I hate to see it go but it doesn't even sound like Maher wants to continue it anymore. He didn't sound too enthusiastic about any other network picking him up.

Also for those of you who hate the guests, I think you're missing the point of the show. I like having a variety of guests on the show, especially when they're well-known celebs and the like. Their level of knowledge for current events and history gets exposed and it makes the show entertaining. If all you wanted was a bunch of politicians who know every topic inside and out the show would be very boring and dishonest and the topics wouldn't be taken to extremes like they are on PI.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged