TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> X-Men: Evolution -- Rewriting Marvel History <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Graymalkin is offline Old Post 06-02-2002 07:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

X-Men: Evolution -- Rewriting Marvel History

What's the deal with "X-Men: Evolution," the animated series that runs Saturday? Is Marvel revamping the Marvel universe's history?

Today's ep has Wolverine fighting along Captain America in World War II, rescuing Magneto (as a young boy) from a "P.O.W. camp." (Never mind that it was really a "concentration camp" -- a whole different kettle of fish.) This Captain America apparently suffered severe cell damage and collapsed during WWII -- and is in cryogenic storage today.

No Professor Reinstein? No super-soldier formula? No Red Skull or Bucky or frozen in an iceberg until the 1960s? No Avengers Assemble?

Geez. Next thing you know Peter Parker will be bitten by a genetically altered spider instead of a radioactive one, and Superman and Lex Luthor will be teenage pals...

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 06-02-2002 08:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

Haven't seen the show, but I've been enjoying the Ultimate Marvel books, which operate under the same basic principle you describe. I think it's very cool to be able to draw upon the very best of 40 years of ideas, without being burdened by all the other ideas from those 40 years...kind of like a fresh start, but keeping the cool stuff.

I mean let's face it, I "left" the X-Men in about 1987; when I started coming back to comics in the late '90s, there was a LOT to catch up on, and a LOT of it was crap. The new X-Men books make me feel like I'm missing out on somethin, because of course I am. But the Ultimate books and the TV show (if it's the same kind of thing) give new readers a chance to get in on the ground floor, while letting us old-timers who may not have been around in the Dark Ages of the 1990s relive some of the really cool stuff from our childhood, reimagined without the dross.

(OK, I've gotten too promiscuous with the mixed metaphors. But I think you know what I mean...)

(Is it a coincidence that the X-Mansion is on Graymalkin Lane?)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

linh is offline Old Post 06-02-2002 09:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for linh Find more posts by linh Add linh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
linh
TiVo Forum Special Member

I like to think of it as alternate realities/timelines/continuities...whatever makes Marvel a profit (increased comic book sales ? ). Oh well.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graymalkin is offline Old Post 06-02-2002 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

quote:
(Is it a coincidence that the X-Mansion is on Graymalkin Lane?)

Actually, it is. It's also a coincidence that one of the witches in Macbeth is named Graymalkin.

I was looking for an AOL handle (this is back in the AOL 1.5 days when they had less than 100,000 subscribers) and wanted "Graymouser" as a tribute to the Howard Chaykin comic "Fafnir and Gray Mouser" -- but someone else had beaten me to it. At that point, Graymalkin popped into my head. A nice obscure, literate-sounding and euphonious handle without any goofy numerical suffixes (like L8TRG8TR or SHELLY716), and it shortened nicely to "Gray" (or "Gary" depending on how bad your typing skills are). So I went with it -- and I've been able to use it in just about every forum that I've ever joined.

Oddly enough, I got AOL mail addressed to "Graymalkin" that was clearly intended for other people, usually of the "Hey howya wanna party?" Those probably were the X-Men fans.

Just so you know, I haven't used AOL in about seven years. When the Web and ISPs showed up, I bailed and haven't looked back.

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 12:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

In the cartoon's continuity, the official word from the producers is that there are no super-heroes besides mutants in the world. They made an exception for Cap because this was during WWII, but the producers have said before that no non-mutant super-hero would show up. (or no non-mutant non X-book character, anyway).

I like and dislike the approach. In some ways it's better than the old cartoon. In others it's worse. But either way, it's a fun show. Just forget about anything else you know about Marvel history.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WinBear is offline Old Post 06-03-2002 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WinBear Find more posts by WinBear Add WinBear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WinBear
13EEE

As long as the cartoon keeps it's own continuity consistent, it'll be ok.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tasky is offline Old Post 06-04-2002 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tasky Visit Tasky's homepage! Find more posts by Tasky Add Tasky to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tasky
TiVo Forum Special Member

Being an X-Men fan from way back, I was kinda turned off by Evolution at first as well. But how fun would it have been if they just told the same old stories?? Would have sucked. So, this new approach is growing on me, and my kids never knew the original, so they think this is the way it is. They still haven't figured out how I know who the characters are before they even say their names Like the Scarlet Witch (Wanda), I knew she was Pietro's sister and Magneto's daughter. Drives my kids nuts!

The last episode with Gambit looked good though, I liked the changes to his character, I can't wait for more new episodes...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged