TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> TiVo *made* me do it <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
murgatroyd is offline Old Post 06-16-2002 11:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for murgatroyd Find more posts by murgatroyd Add murgatroyd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murgatroyd
TiVo Forum Special Member

TiVo *made* me do it

The good thing about TiVo is, you can find all these wonderful shows that you always wanted to see.

The bad thing about TiVo is, you can find all these shows that you were curious about, but turned out to be ... not so wonderful.

I have a WL for Gene Kelly. The good news is, it turned up Cover Girl on AMC.

And then, on VH1's "Movies that Rock" show, TiVo found... Xanadu.

Olivia Newton John. Roller disco. Hideous late-70s clothes. And Gene Kelly.

I'm too hungover from the BBQ today to list the ways that this project went wrong. But yes, it's a terrible movie, just as bad as I'd heard. One of my movie guides gives it 2 1/2 stars, which is generous -- the guide data from Tribune says one star, which is more like it.

The most surreal aspect of the TiVo wishlist episode is that Xanadu is mostly a remake of the Rita Hayworth movie DOWN TO EARTH where Terpsichore visits a young man to give him inspiration, but to make a place for Gene Kelly in this whole mess, they sort of dropped in his character from Cover Girl -- at least, Kelly's character has the same NAME in both movies, but it's not really the same guy. So it's really weird to watch those two movies back-to-back.

I can't say "bad TiVo" because, after all, TiVo only did what I asked it to. And I knew how bad it was before I watched it. It's entirely my fault.

But the moral of the story is: be careful what you ask TiVo for!

What's the worst movie/show you've seen because it turned up via one of your TiVo's wishlists? That "oh, my gosh, I can't believe I'm seeing this", that "what were they thinking?" kind of experience?

Jan

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WinBear is offline Old Post 06-17-2002 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WinBear Find more posts by WinBear Add WinBear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WinBear
13EEE

I think people have discovered similarly bad movies by having AR/WL's for the latest 'hot' actor or actress and discover their b-movie career. Some groaners have been found for Dean Cain & Lexa Doig (No Alibi), Kim Cattrall and Eric McCormack (Exception to the Rule), Kristin Davis (The Ultimate Lie), and just about anything by Adrian Paul pre-Highlander.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged