TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Twilight Zone Roddenberry's TNG influence? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cancermatt is offline Old Post 06-21-2002 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cancermatt Find more posts by cancermatt Add cancermatt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cancermatt
Old-School Lurker

Question Twilight Zone Roddenberry's TNG influence?

I would appreciate some help from some Trekkies/Trekkers.

I've become somewhat a Twilight Zone fanatic with 2 to 3 episodes airing daily (still can't get over Grateful Dead's intro in the '80s version) and just watched episode from yesterday. I accidentally deleted it, but it told of a man w/ premonitions of doom/disaster on a tugboat from England to NY, it turns out his dopelganger is w/ the Nazis.

One scene delighted me fully when on screen is the captain and he calls to the tugboat engineer:

PICARD, this is the Captain.
We need full strength to the engines to get us there tomorrow. (or something like that)

- then he turns to his assistant and says something like:

NUMBER ONE, do you think we can make it???!

I STARTED SCREAMING WILDLY. I did not know of this episode and its possible origins of Star Trek The Next Generation.

Does anybody have any clues if this was Roddenberry's influence for the names?

Does anybody know the name of the episode? I accidentally deleted it.
I do know it was from '59-'62 I think.

Thanks so much!

Matt

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edc is offline Old Post 06-22-2002 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edc Find more posts by edc Add edc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edc

The "Twilight Zone" you are thinking of was "Judgment Night," from the first season in 1959.

http://the-croc.com/tzone/tzeplist/judgment.html

It is highly unlikely this had anything to do with "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Naval Captains have a long history of referring to First Officers as "Number One." Indeed, the female first officer in the original series pilot was only identified as "Number One."

While I don't know of any interviews nailing down the origin of the Picard name, the most common (and reasonable) theory is that the name was influenced by Auguste and Jean Piccard

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/piccard.htm

These two brothers were scientists, and collaborated on high atmosphere ballooning in the days before airplanes.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-22-2002 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

You're adding the name Picard in yourself right? AFAIK, "Judgement Night" never mentioned the captain's name. Great episode BTW.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cancermatt is offline Old Post 06-24-2002 07:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cancermatt Find more posts by cancermatt Add cancermatt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cancermatt
Old-School Lurker

PICARD name is in the episode

Tivo'd the episode last week, watched it, accidentally deleted it, then wrote it up on this board. The engineer (?) coal shoveler, SOMEONE in the show was named Picard, because the Captain called to him in an oldie type of CB(?) and said something to the effect of : PICARD we need to go faster

I dunno. That's what I heard, but didn't have Closed Captioning on!

Matt

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 06-24-2002 07:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

I did some research after you posted this and found the script. McCloud is the chief engineer and that's easy enough to mistake for Picard. The Chief Engineer being Scottish does back up somewhat a Roddenberry TZ-ST influence (okay, a bit of a stretch). I don't think there's anyway Roddenberry couldn't have been influenced in some way by TZ and Serling, it was in many ways as revolutionary as ST:TOS was.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged