TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo Music and Pictures Premium Service announced <<<

Pages (11): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ontheverge is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ontheverge Find more posts by ontheverge Add ontheverge to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ontheverge

TiVo Music and Pictures Premium Service announced

It has been teased but now official - launching at CES in Jan will be music and picture support.
======
TiVo plans to enable home music, pictures service
Thursday December 12, 1:51 pm ET

NEW YORK, Dec 12 (Reuters) - TiVo Inc. (NasdaqNM:TIVO - News) on Thursday said its television recording system will soon be able to play digital music and show pictures stored in personal computers.

Data stored in file formats such as MP3 and JPEG will appear on the television that is connected to the TiVo set-top box, company Chief Executive Michael Ramsey told investors at a Credit Suisse First Boston Conference.

The company will likely charge an additional fee for the premium service, which will be launched in January at the Consumer Electronics Association's CES conference in Las Vegas, he said.

"There's a whole set of packages that we are doing and the main theme is around broadband and home networking. It is our next big thing," Ramsey told Reuters after the presentation.

TiVo, whose technology allows users to save hours of TV shows onto a hard drive in a set-top box and makes suggestions for other programming choices, derives most of its revenue from subscribers' fees and licensing agreements with manufacturers.

The new initiatives, which include a way for users to program recording times away from home through a Web site, would provide the company with additional streams of revenue.

Ramsey also reiterated TiVo's forecast that its subscribers will double to 1 million in fiscal 2004, which begins in February.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

I wonder what the "extra" charges will be for this added benefit?? More than a couple $$'s on top of my current sub would be my limit of interest...

Picture and MP3 storage is nice, but I already get that on my PC...or better yet, on my DVD player via CDRW's... Not sure if this is worth too much for me.

Remote programming was not mentioned but would be a feature I might acutally USE. Hopefully they offer ala carte pricing...not just a single pricey bundle...

Thanks for the link!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

Re-read the release...

I had assumed this would be a file transfer/storage model from the PC to TiVo. The way I read the press release...might this be a passthru to the PC, which maintains the files?? TiVo as "player"...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

There's more than what was mentioned in that article. Quite a bit more, actually.

Pony

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

direfan is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for direfan Find more posts by direfan Add direfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
direfan

quote:
Originally posted by markp99
Remote programming was not mentioned but would be a feature I might acutally USE. Hopefully they offer ala carte pricing...not just a single pricey bundle...

Thanks for the link!

Actually remote programming is mentioned in the link and yes there will be a charge for it. I think I will stick to the Series 1 DTivo and SA.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
There's more than what was mentioned in that article. Quite a bit more, actually.

Pony

I call upon the faithful members of this forum that live anywhere near TiVo headquarters to go over and pinch this man.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:25 AM
markp99
TakoKichi

...Pony is such a tease!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grecorj is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for grecorj Visit grecorj's homepage! Find more posts by grecorj Add grecorj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grecorj
TiVo Forum Special Member

Series2 only? Or do we Series1 folks get to play, too?

Looking for news about TiVo? Try TiVoNews

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:

Pony

I'd certainly hope so, otherwise *yawn*.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkardatzke is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkardatzke Find more posts by dkardatzke Add dkardatzke to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkardatzke

TiVo's fee is already too much for too little functionality. We should get additional services at no charge.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

steuert is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for steuert Find more posts by steuert Add steuert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steuert
TivoGeezer

Sounds like several solutions for which there are no problems. There have been more than adequate methods to transmit pictures and music to a TV set for years, and the TiVo connection offers no obvious advantage unless the extra features TiVoPony hints at are truly spectacular.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattdrury is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattdrury Visit mattdrury's homepage! Find more posts by mattdrury Add mattdrury to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattdrury
Forum Spatial Mummer

quote:
There's more than what was mentioned in that article. Quite a bit more, actually

There'd have to be for me to consider upgrading. I'm highly underwhelmed with what they've said so far.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwpomeroy is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwpomeroy Find more posts by cwpomeroy Add cwpomeroy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwpomeroy

Implicitely Implied by the article -

1. Networked functionality
2. Multi-media support not just video
3. Internet connectivity and remote scheduling

Suggested by interpretation

"will soon be able to play digital music and show pictures stored in personal computers. "

1. Access media stored outside the unit

(which could potentially open up the ability to use external drives to increase video storage capacity.)

"There's a whole set of packages that we are doing ..."

2. Different groups of functionalilty and pricing packages

Hopefull.....

If external storage is enabled, it's possible that HDTV support could become reality....

I wonder if the same features will be available for DirecTivo's as SA's????

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HDTiVo Find more posts by HDTiVo Add HDTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

How would you folks use TiVo's new ability to play MP3 and JPEG files?

Creative ideas wanted...

I don't have ANY of the problems mentioned in this Forum.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwpomeroy is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwpomeroy Find more posts by cwpomeroy Add cwpomeroy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwpomeroy

To be honest, sharing music and pictures doesn't do much for me. The ability to use external data storage does. I'd love to add capacity buy purchasing external drives and just plugging them in. Also hope it will support HDTV recording.

For those looking to share digital pictures, check out www.ceiva.com Neat little product. Since we live in different states than parents, it's ideal for sharing digital pictures with low-tech relatives. If Tivo supported picture sharing with non-Tivo subscribers.....like Ceiva does - - well that might be worth it.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

andyf is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andyf Visit andyf's homepage! Find more posts by andyf Add andyf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andyf
Long time TiVo user

Well it's like an updated version of when you take the kids up to grandmas for the dreaded vacation slide show, except this time it's on TV.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trojanrabbit is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for trojanrabbit Visit trojanrabbit's homepage! Find more posts by trojanrabbit Add trojanrabbit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trojanrabbit
Napping with Buddy

quote:
Originally posted by HDTiVo
How would you folks use TiVo's new ability to play MP3 and JPEG files?

Creative ideas wanted...

It doesn't have the ability yet.

I have something that will handle MP3's better - an AudioTron.

I doubt that a Series 1 will get this update anyway.

Don't ask for more than you can handle, you may get it. - The Great Gazoo

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pablop is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pablop Find more posts by pablop Add pablop to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pablop
Tall Techie

I have thousands of digital pictures stored on my computer, and every time I want to show someone the pictures, we have to retire to the study, huddle around the desk, wait for the computer to boot up, find the right program, launch it, wait, etc.....

Being able to do this from my Tivo would be very nice.

Also, one of the most captivating screen savers in the world is the one that plays a slideshow of random photos constantly.....Imagine being able to do that on every TV in your house.....

I believe the concept will be very simliar to MS's MediaCenter.

The press release reads "play digital music and show pictures stored in personal computers" not "share digital pictures with grandma in Fargo"

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ontheverge is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ontheverge Find more posts by ontheverge Add ontheverge to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ontheverge

file management

Thousands of pictures and thousands of songs.... TiVo better have a better way of organizing the data than has been shown on "Now Playing" - chronological doesn't cut it for jpgs and mp3s.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 02:07 AM
markp99
TakoKichi

mmmm...folders....

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged