TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Serial Control of Cable Boxes Available <<<

Pages (17): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Montaño is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Montaño Visit Montaño's homepage! Find more posts by Montaño Add Montaño to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Montaño

I understand that those of you with Series 1 boxen are cheesed off about being left out of the software upgrade loop. Did you honestly expect that TiVo would continue offering software to Series 1 owners, even after they TOLD you that they wouldn't be??? <~~~~~ Quoted from SuperRob

TiVo honestly expects us Series 1 owners to keep on paying them........

1 Hughes HDVR2- 142 Hrs/HMO/Wireless Network- 8yr old daughter's

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by Otto

embeem's script doesn't replace any files. It literally flips a switch. That is all it does. There are no "file replacements". Despite what Pony says above, it literally is one minor resource change to existing boxes.

...snip...

Pony, considering the poor behavior of Tivo on this issue, I feel my tone was warranted. Gotta get through to you people somehow. If you don't like it, fine, but that's to be expected since, hey, you work there.

Otto,

Just because you can 'hack' something with three lines of code doesn't mean it's the proper way to do it. We don't 'hack' things into the service. It's not wise, nor is it something our partners or subscribers would accept for long.

You've expressed your unhappiness that this feature wasn't available earlier. And you've expressed your unhappiness that it isn't available to everyone today. We've all heard you.

What's disappointing is that you feel the need to act out in order to 'get through to us'. Nobody said you're required to stand up and lead the cheers. But you've decided to hang out and throw rocks at the parade. It serves no purpose.

No matter what we do, there will always be people who whine and complain. That doesn't mean it's an appropriate way to express yourself.

I've found expressing your ideas clearly and logically almost always proves to be much more effective and persuasive.

But to each his own.

Pony

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sgraff is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 07:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sgraff Find more posts by sgraff Add sgraff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sgraff

Thumbs up Yes! I'm a happy camper!

This is fantastic! I've just submitted my request for this and look forward to seeing improved channel changes.

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 07:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
You've expressed your unhappiness that this feature wasn't available earlier. And you've expressed your unhappiness that it isn't available to everyone today. We've all heard you.

What's disappointing is that you feel the need to act out in order to 'get through to us'. Nobody said you're required to stand up and lead the cheers. But you've decided to hang out and throw rocks at the parade. It serves no purpose.

No, what's disappointing is that there is even the need to "get through to" you.

Anyway, I think my comments served their purpose rather well. They got you to stand up and take notice that not everyone is happy happy joy joy about everything Tivo does all the time. We get a lot of "rah rah" type of action on these forums, and I just wanted to make sure that you guys understand that people are still upset with the way you've handled things. It could be done better, is the point I'm trying to make.

quote:
No matter what we do, there will always be people who whine and complain. That doesn't mean it's an appropriate way to express yourself.

Whatever actually works in conveying the point is a totally appropriate way to express oneself. That's the whole idea behind communication.

quote:
I've found expressing your ideas clearly and logically almost always proves to be much more effective and persuasive.

That's fine and dandy, but that has obviously failed in this case. The simple fact that customers got somethign taken away right under their noses and were highly annoyed and upset appearantly didn't get the message across, or you wouldn't be expecting a huge chorus of "yay!" from your announcement here. I can only hope that this little rant of mine certainly did get the message across, the message being that this fix is unacceptable in a lot of ways, and I'd hope that the real fix is coming, and coming soon.

If and when you do have a real solution, then I'm with you all the way. I think I said that already. But when you offer something up as great, and it's not, then expect to get called out on it, yeah? I think it's great that the problem is being worked on. I don't think that the way it has been treated up to and including now has been good at all, and I just wanted to let you all know that.

Rant over.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeRadio is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 07:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeRadio Find more posts by MikeRadio Add MikeRadio to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeRadio

Thanks Tivo and Tivo Pony

Thanks for this feature... Although I am a Comcast customer, and was not part of AT&T, my version number is right and hopefully this serial deal will work!

Just wanted to say thanks...

Mike

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 07:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
No, what's disappointing is that there is even the need to "get through to" you.

Anyway, I think my comments served their purpose rather well. They got you to stand up and take notice that not everyone is happy happy joy joy about everything Tivo does all the time.

I'm amused that that is what you believe you accomplished. Or that I, or TiVo, somehow were 'unaware' of the issues.

What you did was throw rocks. Nothing more, and not with an ounce of altruistic intention.

If you ever 'need to get through to me'...drop me a note. Explain what you're after. But don't pollute the forum with claims like:

quote:
The problem still exists, and Tivo hasn't fixed anything here.

That's just ridiculous. And not well-intentioned, despite what you've told yourself.

Sheesh.

Pony

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 08:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

Okay, Pony. Fine. Whatever. If you feel the need to kill the messenger, go ahead and give it your best shot.

It still doesn't change the fact that your announcement sucks for all but a small minority of Tivo owners. When you have the serial control working for the rest of us (Sony Tivo owners and Series 1 owners), then let me know. Until then, the "hack" that actually does work (and has worked since the day after Tivo disabled the functionality in the first place) for those people will have to do.

Last edited by Otto on 02-07-2003 at 08:38 AM

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 08:42 AM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Okay, Pony. Fine. Whatever. If you feel the need to kill the messenger, go ahead and give it your best shot.

It still doesn't change the fact that your announcement sucks for all but a small minority of Tivo owners. When you have the serial control working for the rest of us (Sony Tivo owners and Series 1 owners), then let me know. Until then, the "hack" that actually does work for those people will have to do.

Right. First you're the 'hero', now you're the 'victim'.

I appreciate that you didn't get what you wanted with this announcement. And you're not happy about it. For those who are still waiting, I'm sorry. It's not available today.

But TiVo's doing just fine. We don't need your brand of 'wake up calls'. Thanks just the same.

Pony

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 08:50 AM
Otto

Dunno where you're getting hero and victim from...

But you're just going to have to be satisfied with the way things are. If you do something I'm not happy about, I'll tell you about it. It's simple, really.

Sorry you're taking it so personally.

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Montaño is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Montaño Visit Montaño's homepage! Find more posts by Montaño Add Montaño to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Montaño

I appreciate that you didn't get what you wanted with this announcement. And you're not happy about it. For those who are still waiting, I'm sorry. It's not available today. <~~~~ Quoted from Pony

uuummmm.........sorry to interrupt, but does this mean that there is a chance it will be available 'someday'??

1 Hughes HDVR2- 142 Hrs/HMO/Wireless Network- 8yr old daughter's

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sbourgeo is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 09:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sbourgeo Find more posts by sbourgeo Add sbourgeo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sbourgeo
Not Work Safe

Hey guys, Neo is fighting Morpheus.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rexdart is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 09:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rexdart Find more posts by rexdart Add rexdart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rexdart
Eskimo Spy!

Hehe, only I'm not sure which is which!

Stodgy old stick in the mud vs. idealistic fanboy

hmmmmm

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rexdart is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rexdart Find more posts by rexdart Add rexdart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rexdart
Eskimo Spy!

I have decided to show my support for the down trodden, in truly Sean Pennesque fashion, by laying my serial cable next to the television and refusing to hook it up even after they download my upgrade, until everyone can use the feature!

yeah, right

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeRadio is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 11:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeRadio Find more posts by MikeRadio Add MikeRadio to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeRadio

Anyone with Comcast Get this Serial thing working?

Has anyone who has Comcast (not AT&T converted Comcast) and the General Instruments box have this working as of yet??

And how long did it take until you got the upgrade to the 02 software?

Just wondering...

Mike

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 11:22 AM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:

But you're just going to have to be satisfied with the way things are. If you do something I'm not happy about, I'll tell you about it. It's simple, really.

Sorry you're taking it so personally.

ditto.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SuperRob is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 11:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SuperRob Visit SuperRob's homepage! Find more posts by SuperRob Add SuperRob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SuperRob
TiVolution Army

Touché!

223 Hr. Series|2 TiVo
87 Hr. DSR7000 DirecTiVo

The Revolution will be Televised.
I'm just watching it on a 30 minute delay.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

millertivo is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 11:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for millertivo Find more posts by millertivo Add millertivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
millertivo

I think someone asked this earlier in the thread but I didn't see an answer . . . Does the serial cable change the channel faster? I assume it is more reliable than the IR blaster, but just wanted to know what the other advantages are. I haven't missed any shows because of the IR blaster, but then all it takes is one to ruin the night.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SuperRob is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 11:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SuperRob Visit SuperRob's homepage! Find more posts by SuperRob Add SuperRob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SuperRob
TiVolution Army

In my experience, it is a fair amount faster than IR was on a "medium" speed setting. Also, as a side benefit, simple Channel Up/Channel Down operations are VERY fast, and should help people who haven't broken the habit of channel surfing.

The only caveat to that last note is that if the next channel is not numerically next (4, then 5 ... or 26, then 27), it takes as long as a regular channel change. At least, it seems that way.

Long story short, yes, it's faster, and more reliable. But the best bonus is NO IR FORT.

223 Hr. Series|2 TiVo
87 Hr. DSR7000 DirecTiVo

The Revolution will be Televised.
I'm just watching it on a 30 minute delay.

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 11:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

It seems there is an underlying problem here and that something other than lack of testing led to the removal of the feature. It seems TiVo is being influenced greater by partners instead of customers. Not just for this feature but in several areas lately.

In the past it felt like TiVo believed the customer ruled, perhaps it was an illusion but if it was the illusion seems to be fading....

ce la vi

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dajad is offline Old Post 02-07-2003 11:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dajad Find more posts by Dajad Add Dajad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dajad
Advanced Member

Hey Otto ... no quick comeback to "ditto"!

Even though I'm a lowly Series 1 owner who can't get upgrades in Canada ... I say three cheers to TiVo for taking this step forward.

...Dale

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged