TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo Switch-to-Series2 Upgrade Offer <<<

Pages (25): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mtchamp is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtchamp Find more posts by mtchamp Add mtchamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtchamp

TiVo Switch-to-Series2 Upgrade Offer

Switch-to-Series2 Upgrade:

To reward you, our original subscribers, for your incredible loyalty and support, we're launching the Switch-to-Series2 Upgrade Offer, giving you the one-time opportunity to transfer product lifetime service from your first Tivo to a new Tivo Series2.

Gear up for Home Media Option and take advantage of this limited-time offer today by following these two simple steps:

1. Between now and March 10th, buy an 80-hour Tivo Series2 direct from Tivo at tivo.com for just $349, after mail-in rebate.

(Note: Just to be sure you understand a very important requirement of this offer, you must purchase your new Series2 80-hour TiVo directly from TiVo, online at www.tivo.com/upgrade, to be eligible for transfer of lifetime service.)

2. Once your new box arrives, call Tivo at 1-877-806-0883 and we'll transfer your service right then and there! And you thought we weren't listening.

If this is true of all Series1 units, I would be very interested and would like to know if it applies to multiple units a Lifetime Subscriber may own.

Had the Series1 30Hr Philips TiVo, AT&T 40hr TiVo and the TiVo 60hr. All sent to new homes when DirecTV gave me locals.

"Never underestimate the goodness of people"

Last edited by mtchamp on 02-12-2003 at 03:18 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

Series 1 -> Series 2 lifetime transfer?

I know TivoPony has hinted at it before but now someone says they got a notice from Tivo of a one time transfer of lifetime service offer from series 1 to series 2. Expires March 10.

I have one lifetime S1 SA but I haven't gotten any notice of this. Did anyone else?

Edit: Ok, I guess someone did.

Edit again: The Replay thread I linked to is now gone, probably thanks to a Replay fan who was apparently off his meds going a bit wacky in it, and an overzealous moderator who decided that locking the thread wasn't enough.

Last edited by DrStrange on 02-09-2003 at 11:38 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

1badv6 is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1badv6 Visit 1badv6's homepage! Find more posts by 1badv6 Add 1badv6 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1badv6

came as a gold star promotion

'87 Buick Regal Grand National Coupe
13.1@102 w/ 1.8 60'

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

I got it.

I've upgraded my series 1 with an extra hd.

Would I be able just to take the hd out of the old tivo and put it in the new tivo, or would I have to do some sort of reformatting?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

I got it. And it sounds tempting. I could sell one of my current units to raise just about enough money to buy a $350 80 hour S2.

Question: what would happen to my current Philips 14hour S1 when it loses lifetime? It shipped with 1.3, not 2.0. When my lifetime gets transferrred would my 14hour S1 still be able to do manual recordings?

I had a Philips 20hour S1 pre-2.0 that I let upgrade to 3.x and never bought service. That was able to do manual recordings just fine. (I sold that unit) But, I'm wondering if this transfer will be any different?

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

That's interesting. I suppose the Series 1 reverts back to Monthly.

[edit]

Just saw this, though: "Between now and March 10th, buy an 80-hour Tivo Series2 direct from Tivo..."

I wonder if this offer applies to the 80 hour S2 unit I bought from Best Buy a few weeks ago. Possibly not.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

1badv6 is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1badv6 Visit 1badv6's homepage! Find more posts by 1badv6 Add 1badv6 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1badv6

I just haven't figured out the advantage of it. I paid the 249 for my lifetime so the transfer to a series2 would just mean me spending $399 - $50 for the rebate. Pony said something about resubscibing the series 1 would be to our advantage but all I see is the same thing as just buying a series 2 and paying the $249 for the lifetime. I need more info, I mean if you got your lifetime for $199 this looks really good but unless I see more reason than HMO I can't see makeing the switch, I like everything my series1 does and I'm more than happy. Folders would be nice but hey I've lived with out them for the past year and a half.

'87 Buick Regal Grand National Coupe
13.1@102 w/ 1.8 60'

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

Hehehe...

Bob said he was hoping to get to announce it here first.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mostman is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mostman Find more posts by mostman Add mostman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mostman

Hmm - why the 80 hour only? What if I want the 60?

I don't have lifetime anyway - just wondering why they would force the purchase of an 80.

-Mike

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graymalkin is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

TiVoPony said (in a Yahoo! group dedicated to TiVo) that the offer doesn't start until Tuesday, Feb. 11 -- so don't order Sunday or Monday.

Whether it applies to Series 1 DirecTiVos is unclear.

The announcement seems to indicate that you have to buy an 80-hour Series 2 direct from TiVo, and not from Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. That needs to be clarified.

The $50 rebate offer can't be used for more than two units per household, so replacing Unit #3 and higher will require purchases at the full $399 price.

Having noted all that, I'll be replacing my 14-hour Series 1 with one of these!

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kvandivo is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kvandivo Visit kvandivo's homepage! Find more posts by kvandivo Add kvandivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kvandivo
Captain, TiVo Army

Obviously it has a higher profit margin than the 60.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregpr is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 07:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregpr Find more posts by gregpr Add gregpr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregpr
Tragically Unhip

quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
I got it.

I've upgraded my series 1 with an extra hd.

Would I be able just to take the hd out of the old tivo and put it in the new tivo, or would I have to do some sort of reformatting?

Yes. That's what I'm planning to do. I don't care much about software hacks or backdoors...

I think all you have to do is follow the instructions, I don't believe there's any reformatting, the install steps take care of that.

To be sure, I would bet there will soon be instructions on either the Upgrade or Underground forums

I probably will wait at least as long as the 90 day total warranty.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CrispyCritter is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CrispyCritter Find more posts by CrispyCritter Add CrispyCritter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

quote:
Originally posted by mostman
Hmm - why the 80 hour only? What if I want the 60?
TiVo doesn't sell a 60-hour TiVo anymore? They got rid of their stock last month, on the 60-hour refurb for $149 deals.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bidger is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bidger Find more posts by bidger Add bidger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bidger

I'm not certain whether I'll take advantage of this offer, but I think TiVo deserves some praise for offering it.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

If you have an series 1 and transfer the service to the new one, can you still use the series 1 without service and like a digital vcr?

Jake

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Redleg is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Redleg Find more posts by Redleg Add Redleg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redleg

Agreed, bidger. I don't know if we can swing another TiVo purchase right now, but it's a pleasant, unexpected surprise to have the option!

One question -- I haven't received this message on my Series 1. If I don't get it, am I still eligible? Is it good for all Series 1 boxes or just the "original subscribers" with 14 hour boxes?

Last edited by Redleg on 02-09-2003 at 08:27 PM

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graymalkin is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

I don't think the software on an unsubscribed S1 is going to revert back to version 1.3 -- it's already on there, right? So don't count on an unsubscribed but updated S1 to have any functionality.

I got the gold star message on one of my S1 units, but not the other, and they're both 14-hour units with lifetime subs. So TiVo may not have had time to get the offer out to all the units yet.

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

I didn't get it yet.

I'm guessing it will come tomarrow after the Advanced Paid Programing.

I have a HDR212 and i heard it only is for 112s. Can anyone answer this?

Jake

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

Shanan's starting to get really comfortable in front of the camera... let's hope this doesn't all go to her head!

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkroboth is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkroboth Find more posts by dkroboth Add dkroboth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkroboth

Dang it dang it. I knew I should have not buckled under the UMF last week. I could have held out for another week, but I saw an open box and just had too, and I already got a lifetime on it too. nuts....oh well. At least the lifetime on the Series 1 is worth 300 soon

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged