TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> TiVo Switch-to-Series2 Upgrade Offer <<<

Pages (25): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Francesco is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

My glass is always half-full, not half-empty.

Last edited by Francesco on 02-09-2003 at 10:46 PM

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

1badv6 is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1badv6 Visit 1badv6's homepage! Find more posts by 1badv6 Add 1badv6 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1badv6

moved from the other thread

just haven't figured out the advantage of it for me. I paid the 249 for my lifetime so the transfer to a series2 would just mean me spending $399 - $50 for the rebate. Pony said something about resubscibing the series 1 would be to our advantage but all I see is the same thing as just buying a series 2 and paying the $249 for the lifetime. I need more info, I mean if you got your lifetime for $199 this looks really good but unless I see more reason than HMO I can't see makeing the switch, I like everything my series1 does and I'm more than happy. Folders would be nice but hey I've lived with out them for the past year and a half .

'87 Buick Regal Grand National Coupe
13.1@102 w/ 1.8 60'

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeffw_00 is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeffw_00 Find more posts by jeffw_00 Add jeffw_00 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffw_00

Important questions for all to consider....

I bought mine in 0ct 2000 - I believe that I can continue to use it UNSUBSCRIBED as a time-based VCR, and then re-subsscribe it at a future date if TiVo offers a compelling reason, true?

(Of course, if we all do re-subscribe our Series 1s, then TiVO just found a very clever way to sell a buch of Series 2s.)

I buy my units from Best Buy to get the extended warranty. I've returned Tivo's 4 times. Twice the week I bought them, and once after 4 month and once after a year for failed modem. Since you don't have to 're-buy' the extended warranty when you replace a unit, the $70 warranty has saved me the price of 2 Tivos - do I get any such product protection buying direct from TiVo? (or the convenience of same-day replacement?) Why won't Tivo let me buy my upgrade from their partner, Best Buy? (and how does Best Buy feel about the discriminatory offer and adjunct loss in sales?)

and the biggie: WHY is TiVo doing this? It worries me, as it seems like a ploy to get a big boost in short-term sales possibly at the cost of future sales. I.e., they need bucks now! seriously enough to break one of their cherished rules (you buy a new Tivo, you have to buy a new subscription). I hope to gos this isn't a desparate last ploy to stay solvent....

sorry - i believe SOMEONE has to ask these questions....
/j

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mostman is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mostman Find more posts by mostman Add mostman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mostman
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by CrispyCritter
TiVo doesn't sell a 60-hour TiVo anymore? They got rid of their stock last month, on the 60-hour refurb for $149 deals.

Hmm - looks like you are correct. They still list it on their site but you can't actually find it in stock anywhere. Interesting....

-Mike

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by Graymalkin

The announcement seems to indicate that you have to buy an 80-hour Series 2 direct from TiVo, and not from Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. That needs to be clarified.

Purchases must be made from TiVo.com.

That's what I've been told. All of the official terms and conditions will be available on tivo.com once the program starts on Tuesday.

Are you guys getting the idea that I'm telling you what I know, but that you shouldn't take it as gospel yet?

I'm not the legal guy. That stuff will be up on Tuesday.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

ThreeSoFar, here's how I'd look at it if I were in your position:

1) Spend $700 to get two Series2 Tivos (after the $50 rebate on each)

2) Switch the lifetime from your two Series1 Tivos.

3) Spend $200 on the HMO for all three of your Series2 Tivos ($99 for the first, and $50 for the other two).

4) Sell your Series1 Tivos. Even without the lifetime service you should be able to get at least $100-150 each for them. If you leave the hard drive upgrades you made to them you'll obviously get more.

So, you'd wind up paying (assuming you get at $150 per Series1 Tivo) $600 to get two 80 hour Tivos with lifetime service (which would normally cost you $598 to just get ONE 80 hour Series2 Tivo with lifetime service ($349+$249=$598), and that will go up by $50 next month). PLUS that $600 includes paying the $200 to cover the HMO on all 3 of your Series2... not a bad deal!

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by Hench
I wonder if the 800 number will still be available for those of us who don't have a toll-free number with the series 1?

Good question, I don't know the answer.

All the terms and conditions will go up on tivo.com on Tuesday.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:41 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by Redleg

One question -- I haven't received this message on my Series 1. If I don't get it, am I still eligible? Is it good for all Series 1 boxes or just the "original subscribers" with 14 hour boxes?

You'll get a message, but probably not until Tuesday, when the program officially starts.

As a matter of fact, those of you who already saw the message...you probably won't see it again until Tuesday. No need to panic. You'll have all the details, the message, the TiVoShanan video...it'll all be there.

Tuesday.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mskvarenina is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mskvarenina Find more posts by mskvarenina Add mskvarenina to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mskvarenina

Re: Here's my 'heads up' announcement

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
...Still, re-subscribing the Series1 unit may be a very good thing to do. I'd recommend it. And not just because we'd like the subscription. I can't say more at the moment. But I'd keep that Series1 going.

TiVoPony, you must elaborate. The offer to transfer is very much appreciated but your comment regarding re-subscribing the S1 need more info.

Please tell us why spending another $250 ($300 after March 3, 03) would be a "very good thing to do".

I'll do it, but only if I know ahead of time the potential benefits...

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:46 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by ThreeSoFar
moved from other thread:
I got the star offer on both of my 312's. Not sure what I should do. I have no use for any of the HMO stuff except in-house sharing, and damned if I'm going to pay $90 per to do that.

I hesitate getting rid of my series 1's, though. If TiVo goes belly up it would seem the series 1's would be more likely to get supported via some sort of open source software.

Interesting.

First, it's not $90 per for the Home Media Option. It's $99 for the first system, and $49 for each system after that. One time pay.

Second, I'm not aware of any difference in the service between the two. We provide the same service information to both architectures...

But that's a moot point for me. I personally don't expect the issues you've raised to come to pass.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

Re: Re: Here's my 'heads up' announcement

quote:
Originally posted by mskvarenina
TiVoPony, you must elaborate. The offer to transfer is very much appreciated but your comment regarding re-subscribing the S1 need more info.

Please tell us why spending another $250 ($300 after March 3, 03) would be a "very good thing to do".

I'll do it, but only if I know ahead of time the potential benefits...

One reason why... if you spend $249 now to get lifetime service for a Series1 Tivo, that Tivo will be worth at least $250 more than an otherwise identical Series1 Tivo without lifetime service.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

Is TiVo trying to clear out its stock of Series2 80 hours b/c they are about to release something even newer or better?

I'm seriously thinking of doing this, but after I by an 80 hour, if TiVo turns around and releases an 1000000000 hour quintuple tuner, I'll be a might miffed.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pendragn is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pendragn Visit pendragn's homepage! Find more posts by pendragn Add pendragn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pendragn

As the owner of two SVR-2000s with lifetime subs and two new 60 hour refurbs, I'm curious to see whether I will be able to take advantage of this or not.

tk

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

technotim is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for technotim Find more posts by technotim Add technotim to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
technotim

quote:
But...that Series1 won't have service unless someone re-subscribes it. Remember, your lifetime service will move to your brand new Series2. Still, re-subscribing the Series1 unit may be a very good thing to do. I'd recommend it. And not just because we'd like the subscription. I can't say more at the moment. But I'd keep that Series1 going.

I presume you mean resubbing with a monthly, since a lifetime wouldn't necessarily make sense in this context, but could you possibly say a little something more?

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:50 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Re: Re: Here's my 'heads up' announcement

quote:
Originally posted by kitsap
I hope this won't only be going to the Series 1 units!

Yes, the TiVoShanan 'Upgrade Your TiVo' video will only be going out to Series1 systems. But I believe only to those with lifetime service.

This should make those in the TiVoShanan fan club happy.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

technotim is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for technotim Find more posts by technotim Add technotim to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
technotim

Unhappy Re: Re: Re: Here's my 'heads up' announcement

quote:
Yes, the TiVoShanan 'Upgrade Your TiVo' video will only be going out to Series1 systems. But I believe only to those with lifetime service.

This should make those in the TiVoShanan fan club happy.

*sigh* I never get any of the TiVo videos.

#%*#*@(#& Comcast......

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:55 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Re: Important questions for all to consider....

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw_00

Why won't Tivo let me buy my upgrade from their partner, Best Buy?

/j

One of the benefits of offering our own TiVo-branded hardware is that it provides us the flexibility to put together promotions such as this. Sometimes these promotions are with other partners, such as BestBuy, sometimes they're not.

I'm not aware of any isues with any of our partners regarding this promotion.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

Maybe someone could stream the TiVoShanan video online somewhere? (*cough* TIVO *cough*).

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

embeem is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for embeem Visit embeem's homepage! Find more posts by embeem Add embeem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
embeem

quote:

But...that Series1 won't have service unless someone re-subscribes it. Remember, your lifetime service will move to your brand new Series2. Still, re-subscribing the Series1 unit may be a very good thing to do. I'd recommend it. And not just because we'd like the subscription. I can't say more at the moment. But I'd keep that Series1 going.

Let me see if I've got this right .. you're suggesting I buy a new 80hr tivo and then buy another subscription?

Maybe it's just me but that kind of negates the whole transfer thing ...

CVnB02kbxifsgVYcYfEiTG2qfIdFXmstrEhW9gpe+5OxEYid979qu1Esg2YHNA7W8tSTd1t9
88LYW46AhE01Uts8pa4TgZazxlo/FkMAS3i/Oqtm7Rf8C6QzXmbDgbN+fP+Fcu53FOtZXNXX
ClRoZSB0cnV0aCBhYm91dCBhIG1hbiBsaWVzIGluIHdoYXQgaGUgaGlkZXMgLU1hbHJhdXgK

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stormsweeper is offline Old Post 02-09-2003 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stormsweeper Find more posts by stormsweeper Add stormsweeper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

quote:
Originally posted by ThreeSoFar
Maybe someone could stream the TiVoShanan video online somewhere? (*cough* TIVO *cough*).

Or you could just do a search for Teleworld Paid Programming and record this Monday's episodes.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged