TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Pioneer DVD Recorder with TiVo <<<

Pages (37): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 08:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

"They" != Tivo. "They" == Panasonic. Panasonic != Pioneer.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBL is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 08:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GBL Find more posts by GBL Add GBL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GBL
covert opiniative

1 Sony SVR2000 (upgraded to 75 hrs), 1 Philips HDR612, 2 HDR112s (upgraded to 75 and 140 hrs), 1 SA8000HD (160GB)
unpaid volunteer, TiVo army

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spankspank is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 08:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spankspank Find more posts by spankspank Add spankspank to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spankspank

Does this new Pioneer write DVD compliant discs I can play on another DVD player? Or just this one?

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wallace is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wallace Find more posts by wallace Add wallace to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wallace
Is it in you?

quote:
Originally posted by spankspank
Does this new Pioneer write DVD compliant discs I can play on another DVD player? Or just this one?

Excellent question that I want answered as well. Not only will it be compliant on another DVD player, but will it have a built in menu that will be compliant and functioning for every item recorded on it as well.

Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’. --Yoda

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mjh is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mjh Visit mjh's homepage! Find more posts by mjh Add mjh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjh
Re: Member

quote:
Quoth the article
The DVR-810H and DVR-57H will be available in the fall 2003 with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $1,199 and $1,800 respectively.

This is exactly what I was talking about in another thread. This is a significantly higher price than a similar hardware. Yes, you're getting a larger hard disk in these but who here would pay $500 for 40GB more HD? The benefit the $500 buys is the software. As a consumer, and a TiVo-holic, there is NO WAY I'd buy the TiVo enabled device over the non-tivo device.

I hope it works out for TiVo and Pioneer to price these things so high. As for me, I'll be keeping that extra $600. Actually, since I have DirecTV, I could buy a DVD Recorder w/out hard drive for $600, an HDVR2 for less than $200 and then dedicate the DTiVo exclusively for saving content to DVD. I'd then have more than $400 left over, and I'd have full TiVo service instead of TiVo Basic.

It doesn't seem to make very much economic sense to me. Am I missing something?

December 2002 - April 2003: SA TiVo S2, 40hr, unmodified, lifetime sub (sold)
Prior to Dec 2002: no TiVo. Coveting. MASSIVE coveting.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GBL is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GBL Find more posts by GBL Add GBL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GBL
covert opiniative

quote:

If people only read what was posted

quote:

The newly created DVD-R disc can be played back on most other automobile, home, portable DVD players and DVD-ROM computer drives.

1 Sony SVR2000 (upgraded to 75 hrs), 1 Philips HDR612, 2 HDR112s (upgraded to 75 and 140 hrs), 1 SA8000HD (160GB)
unpaid volunteer, TiVo army

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spankspank is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spankspank Find more posts by spankspank Add spankspank to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spankspank

Let me rephrase my question then:

Does this new Pioneer write DVD compliant discs of TV shows I can play on another DVD player?

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grecorj is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grecorj Visit grecorj's homepage! Find more posts by grecorj Add grecorj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grecorj
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Let me rephrase my question then:

Does this new Pioneer write DVD compliant discs of TV shows I can play on another DVD player?

You're kidding, right?

quote:
Both DVD recorders come equipped with a 181-channel cable TV tuner for instant one-touch recording to the hard drive. Once the content is stored on the hard drive, consumers can transfer the content on to a DVD-R/RW disc and navigate the DVD menus using the friendly TiVo interface.

Looking for news about TiVo? Try TiVoNews

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

The rephrased question looks an awful lot like the original question, and seems to be just as well answered. What part of "can be played back on most other automobile, home, portable DVD players" isn't clear?

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Knative is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Knative Find more posts by Knative Add Knative to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knative

Re: Pioneer DVD Recorder with TiVo

quote:
The DVR-810H and DVR-57H offer analog inputs, enabling consumers to connect a camcorder to the DVD recorder for basic transferring functions.

So there's no DV input from digital camcorders?

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVo_Ted is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVo_Ted Find more posts by TiVo_Ted Add TiVo_Ted to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVo_Ted

Yes, it is Pioneer, not Panasonic.

Yes, these products will support the Home Media Option when running the Full TiVo service, but there may be some limitations around Multi-Room Viewing because the Pioneer recorders have new Audio/Video formats and bitrates in order to be DVD compliant. Look for a new "Extreme" video recording quality.

Yes, the DVDs that are created will play in standard DVD players.

The higher-end model is part of Pioneers "Elite" line of products. I can't tell you all of the differences between the products. A Pioneer spokesperson should probably chime in there to explain how these new models fit into their product lines.

These are Pioneer products. Pioneer makes final decisions around features and functionality with input from TiVo. Pioneer makes all decisions around capacity, pricing, manufacturing volume, distribution, marketing, etc.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwjody is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwjody Find more posts by jwjody Add jwjody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwjody

GREAT TIMING!!! I just got a $1600 bonus at work yesterday! I know what it's all going toward!

J

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

VinceA is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for VinceA Find more posts by VinceA Add VinceA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VinceA
Advanced Member

I wonder if the units will also support an external cable box like current TiVo units do since I don't think the internal 181 channel tuner will work on all digital cable systems. Something I'll have to look into when I can put my hands on the product

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timf is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for timf Visit timf's homepage! Find more posts by timf Add timf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timf

This sounds like one cool TiVo, but the price is pretty far out there. It's a high-end device after all, and I'm sure it'll attract a number of home theater buyers. I'd really like one, but I have a new laptop on order with a DVD recorder, and that'll work just fine with video capture and my existing TiVos.

For the latest DirecTV local channel information, go here .
Visit AVS Forum Live Chat for live help with your TiVo! View channel stats here .

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

quote:
Originally posted by TiVo_Ted
Look for a new "Extreme" video recording quality.
Mmmm...Extreme video quality....

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spankspank is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:30 PM
spankspank

Thanks for the clarification.
From the press release, DVD compliance is stated under "Create New Home Movies" heading. This would not be the most typical source to archive to DVD, TV programs would be. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't somehow different given it's copywrited nature. Fair question?

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Knative is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Knative Find more posts by Knative Add Knative to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Knative

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
The rephrased question looks an awful lot like the original question, and seems to be just as well answered. What part of "can be played back on most other automobile, home, portable DVD players" isn't clear?

I think I know where he's coming from. The "played back on most ..." quote comes under the "Create New Home Movies" (from, so far, analog inputs) part of the article so yes your home movie DVDs will play on other players, but no (specific) mention if recorded tv shows will play on other players.

If the tv DVDs were only playable on the TiVo that recorded them it would prevent you sending a season of the Sopranos to your buddy without HBO.

I'm not saying this is how it works, just that I can see how some confusion could happen. Had the "played back on most ..." quote come at the top of the article (and thus encompassing everything below it) it would have been clearer.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

I would pay $800 for the 80GB model or $1000 for the 120GB model.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:49 PM
DrStrange
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by TiVo_Ted
Look for a new "Extreme" video recording quality.

I assume it will be spelled "X-treme" or something and be written in a blocky, fractured font that looks like it's had eight cups of coffee. Cause that's TRENDY.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 06-25-2003 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

Cool! A glossy black heavily built TiVo!

Oh yeah and DVD recording too!

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged