TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Pioneer DVD Recorder with TiVo <<<

Pages (37): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bedelman is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 03:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
Can add HMO to TiVo Basic?

I think that once TiVo Basic is upgraded to the regular TiVo mode that HMO can be added to it at that time. From what I've read TiVo Basic is very basic and it's unlikely that HMO could be added directly to it.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 04:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

Pony, see what happens when you tease but don't give any details. I just bought a DVD Recorder Monday!!!

Although, with my refurbished 60 hour tivo at $150 and my DVD recorder at $450, i'm happier with that $600 than the (+/-) $1200 for this box.

It does sound very cool though.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

quote:
Originally posted by TiVo_Ted
Look for a new "Extreme" video recording quality.

What is this?

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 04:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom Can add HMO to TiVo Basic?

You must first upgrade to the full TiVo service before you can add HMO.

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom What is this?

It's an additional quality level, above Best, that records at a bitrate so high it requires an entire 4.7GB disk for just one hour of video.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 05:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Pioneer DVD Recorder with TiVo

I think I presold one of these to one of my friends over lunch today. This is the first TiVo I've (pre)sold to a friend before seeing it myself

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 05:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

This definitely sounds like an awesome machine. The only thing keeping me from being presold is that massive pricetag.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 05:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale

me to

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wryanh is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 07:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wryanh Visit wryanh's homepage! Find more posts by wryanh Add wryanh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wryanh
VFR Pilot

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
The only thing keeping me from being presold is that massive pricetag.

Dan

Yeah, all that cool DVD recording electronic booty is like what, as much as only 2 or 3 iPOD's?

If it were

A - Dual tuner working with DirecTV (unlikely)
B - Could archive off PPV (HIGHLY unlikely)
C - Could play the DVD's in any other player in the house (impossible)

I'd sell my children for it... No... wait... I already sold 'em for the 3 TiVo's I got now.

Anybody got any spare kids?

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nrc is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nrc Visit nrc's homepage! Find more posts by nrc Add nrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nrc
Cracker Soul

In the "don't assume anything" department, will these units control a cable or satellite box like any other SA TiVo, or do they only record from their built-in tuner?

Who's anyone at all

-- Warren Zevon

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mars Rocket is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mars Rocket Find more posts by Mars Rocket Add Mars Rocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mars Rocket
I want ice cream!

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
It's an additional quality level, above Best, that records at a bitrate so high it requires an entire 4.7GB disk for just one hour of video.

I think it replaces Best...it's not an additional quality level.

quote:
Originally posted by TiVo_Ted
All four recording qualities have been modified to be DVD compliant. The Best quality was improved significantly enough to be renamed.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 09:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

Sounds nice but pricey. I wonder why they didn't go with a combo DVDR though since it sounds like DVD+RW would be perfect for this application. I know that Pioneer is the flag-bearer for DVD-R/RW but they just recently introduced a combo unit themselves.

So does this unit support 2X or 4X recording? The ability to dump an hour show to DVD-R in less than 15 minutes would be pretty tempting.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

liberty is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for liberty Find more posts by liberty Add liberty to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
liberty

It seems a little backward... so far none of the DVD recorder/HDD machines, that I'm aware of, has a channel changer for digital cable boxes.
Having to leave the box on the channel for recording, is going back about 18 years to the first VCRs.
Shouldn't we expect a digital recorder to efficiently record from a digital cable box?

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200

quote:
Originally posted by wryanh

C - Could play the DVD's in any other player in the house (impossible)

I thought this was already cleared up...the unit will allow you to play in any dvd player (that can read DVD-R's.)

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 12:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by nrc
In the "don't assume anything" department, will these units control a cable or satellite box like any other SA TiVo, or do they only record from their built-in tuner?

Of course they can! They're TiVo's.

Pretty much the same functionality as a normal standalone.

But not exactly the same. This one has some additional stuff. Just a little here, a little there...

Pony

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeCG is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 12:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeCG Find more posts by MikeCG Add MikeCG to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeCG

I had assumed "basic" was Tivo service without HMO, but the article says: "....Both will include the TiVo basic service, which does not require a monthly fee for the DVR service but does allow consumers to upgrade to the full TiVo service so they can access a 14-day program guide among other features...."

OK, what is meant by "Basic Service" and what is "Full Tivo Service"?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/931232.asp?0cv=CB20

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pv is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 02:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pv Find more posts by pv Add pv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pv
Klein Bottle Washer

I think I just drooled all over the keyboard. PV

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 04:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah

MikeCG, TiVo Basic Service is free, has 3 days of guide data, and that's about it. No season passes, wishlists, etc. Probably a To Do List though. The "full" service is what we're used to... if you want HMO features, you apparently will need to upgrade to the full service first.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pedxing is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pedxing Find more posts by pedxing Add pedxing to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pedxing
Zik-Zak

For what it's worth, expect street prices to be substantially less than these list prices. For comparison, the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 has an MSRP of US$2000, but sells at many places for less than half that. Crazy Eddie has it for US$841.95!

So I would imagine that these would street for more like US$800 and US$1100 or so at first, and fall a bit after some months.

Also, this will be Pioneer's first non-elite DVD recorder. The elite models all have expensive (bogus?) electronic enhancements over the normal models. I love my non-Elite Pioneer DVD player, and would love to replace it with this!

BUT I want to be able to edit shows, and HMO my Series 2 shows to the Pioneer for DVD recording...

Ped Xing

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

richtate is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for richtate Visit richtate's homepage! Find more posts by richtate Add richtate to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richtate

TiVo/DVD Recorder announced!!!

Hmmmm...lots of people were skeptical about this happening in this forum. Read the full announcement on MSNBC.com.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/931232.asp?0cv=CB20

Pioneer is first with Sony and Toshiba not far behind...

Sign me up!

Never say never.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewba is offline Old Post 06-26-2003 07:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewba Find more posts by drewba Add drewba to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewba

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=119629

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged