TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> dvd-r vs dvd+r & dvd-rw vs dvd+rw <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lgspence is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lgspence Find more posts by lgspence Add lgspence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lgspence

Question dvd-r vs dvd+r & dvd-rw vs dvd+rw

Hi folks,
I am getting a Sony DVD+R R/W drive for my PC which can use both the R ane +R media formats. Anyone out there have experience with both (for record once and re-write)? Any recommendations on media for better compatibility, etc? I am trying to decide which media to buy.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Animgif is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 08:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Animgif Visit Animgif's homepage! Find more posts by Animgif Add Animgif to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

LOL, this is almost as bad as the Mac v PC war:

I tend to find that -R has the best compatibility for standalone DVD players while +RW is the better RW format...

Animgif is a true car geek - jojo
"If I met myself I'd probably become homosexual." - Bryanmc
"I can't answer that, because some self-proclaimed bigot in Texas thinks I should be ashamed of my family." - Medieval Guy
Chase is in my timezone.. Heck, he's in the same state.. He's more MY homo than yours, so :p - jsmeeker fighting with whoknows55 over me!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kdonnel is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kdonnel Visit kdonnel's homepage! Find more posts by kdonnel Add kdonnel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdonnel
DVC-BCV

I have a NEC +R/+RW drive.

I have exclusivly used Verbatim +R white inkjet surface printable media.

I purchased a Sony DVD/VCR combo that specificaly claimed +R/+RW support and a Sony DVD player that also claimed +R/+RW support.

I have had zero problems with any home made DVD played.

Prior to buying the two new DVD players I had two older DVD players. Both would almost play the +R DVD's. They would either have audio or video breakups. That was frustrating.

http://www.kevinandjudy.com

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Both formats are about equally compatible. I've actually found +R/W discs to be a bit more compatible with standalone DVD players.

If you're getting the DRU-500AX, then the media you should use is Accu from Meritline. It burns at 4x with the newest firmware, is very reliable, and is very cheap.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tonyoci is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tonyoci Find more posts by tonyoci Add tonyoci to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonyoci
TiVo Forum Special Member

I bought that drive last week. I have tried all 4 format and all work on my 2 year old home DVD player, and even on my GM in car DVD player. Generally the + and - R ones have worked better. The RW ones have stuttered and needed cleaning a lot more.

T

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

disco is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for disco Find more posts by disco Add disco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
disco
why?

zaknafein's got it right: they're both pretty closely compatible, down brand types. Check the DVD players you'll be burning for for compatibility issues at DVDRHelp.com. I think you'll find that it's MOSTLY in the medium (i.e., brand of DVD-R/+R discs) you buy. Sometimes the cheaper ones work well, but more times than not, you get what you pay for.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 10:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
Both formats are about equally compatible. I've actually found +R/W discs to be a bit more compatible with standalone DVD players.

I've actually found the opposite to be true. DVD-R, in my experience, is more compatible than +R or +RW. The folks over at dvdrhelp.com tend to agree with me too.

+RW has some nice features on paper, but alot of it hasn't even been implemented yet, and by the time they do, I'm pretty sure DVD-RW will have it implemented too.

One thing that I find so ironic about the format wars is which manufacturers are using which drives in their systems. HP, Sony, Philips, Pioneer are the major hardware vendors in the recordable DVD-like disc arena.

HP uses the +RW drives in its (low end) home PC's. They use the DVD-RW drives in their (higher end, formerly compaq) business PC's.

Sony uses DVD-RW drives in their PC's, and combo (DVD-R and +RW) drives in their PC's.

Philips doesn't make PC's, but they are pushing +RW really hard, and have them in their home +RW recorders. This is one of the reasons that makes me believe that the development of +RW was more of a political issue than anything.

Oh, and by the way, here are what some other vendors use:

Apple: DVD-R/RW (soon to switch to combo drives last I heard)
DELL: +R/+RW
IBM: DVD-R/RW
Gateway: DVD-R/RW or combo drives

At any rate, I'm never getting another +RW drive. As an early adopter, I was burned badly by false promises. My motto is if they can do it once, they can do it again. I'm really happy with my Pioneer DVD-RW drive, and my discs play on every single player I have ever tried (including my Panasonic, which does NOT play +R or +RW discs).

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ybrew is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 10:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ybrew Visit ybrew's homepage! Find more posts by ybrew Add ybrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ybrew
just-ybrew

ya know, with DVD players so cheap nowadays, I don't think I'd worry much about compatibility. I'd rather get a cheap apex to compliment my primary dvd player if necessary ($40ish) and not worry about compatibility at all.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 10:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by ybrew
ya know, with DVD players so cheap nowadays, I don't think I'd worry much about compatibility. I'd rather get a cheap apex to compliment my primary dvd player if necessary ($40ish) and not worry about compatibility at all.

Compatibility becomes a major issue when you distribute home videos on DVD.

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Well, compatiblity is still an issue if you want to share DVDs you burn (like home movies). Plus, I would not want to have to replace my exisiting DVD player, and I don't have room to add a secon one.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Satchel is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 10:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Satchel Find more posts by Satchel Add Satchel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Satchel
Who, me?

Man, I wrote a column about DVD formats and I got a ton of people on both sides telling me I was full of crap...

I say go with the sony drive that does both + and - and burn whichever your player can read....

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

raj keeps talking about "false promises", but +RW does everything it has claimed to for me. I have the Sony DRU-500A drive and haven't tried -R or -RW discs yet, but +R and +RW work fine for me and play in regular DVD players I have tried.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
If you're getting the DRU-500AX, then the media you should use is Accu from Meritline. It burns at 4x with the newest firmware, is very reliable, and is very cheap.

I purchased one spindle of Accu from Meritline for my DRU500 and found it to be very crappy. No coasters but lots of CRC errors on DVD-ROMs and skipping on standalone players.

Bought a spindle of Riteks after that and haven't had one problem with them yet so personally, I'm staying far far away from Accu, OptoDisc, or any of the cheap crap that's out there.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200

I have the Sony dual format and I also find that +R is more compatible, but just barely (at least with my home DVD players and a few friends.)

As for media, I recently purchased the deal and bestbuy.com, 100 TDK 4x spindle for $130 shipped. Amazing deal and quality media.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

quote:
"Man, I wrote a column about DVD formats and I got a ton of people on both sides telling me I was full of crap..."
So what's the relevance of writting the column??

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lgspence is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lgspence Find more posts by lgspence Add lgspence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lgspence

Cool recordable DVD formats

Wow. Great response on this...thanks for the feedback...the tally so far (the number represents recommendations):
DVD-R 3
DVD+R 4
DVD-RW 0
DVD+RW 3
I will probably want both record once (cheaper) and rewritable (when I don't want to save forever). I'll go with the highest tallys from the thread to start and see how they work. Brands recommended are Riteks, TDK and Accu? Where have you found the best prices: eBay, eCost, somewhere else?

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Satchel is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Satchel Find more posts by Satchel Add Satchel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Satchel
Who, me?

quote:
Originally posted by willardcpa
So what's the relevance of writting the column??

Oh, I'm sure many people think I'm full of crap on a weekly basis...I'm just glad to entertain...

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 01:09 AM
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by stevel
raj keeps talking about "false promises", but +RW does everything it has claimed to for me.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about manufacturers claiming that early PC drives would have been upgradeable to the write once +R format with a simple firmware update. Never happened. Tons of excuses. Lots of runarounds from Philips, Sony, HP, Ricoh. Early adopters were furious.

They later changed their mind and tried to back out. Philips was even threatened with class action and forced to send out replacement drives which could do both +R and +RW. But they would have never done that if consumers hadn't made a fuss. Other manufacturers like HP simply said flat out that you'd have to buy a new drive. DELL and other OEM's said the same things. I told DELL where to stick it, ebayed my +RW, and I went out and bought a real DVD writer.

Now I'm happily burning DVD-R's, and I never looked back.

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 01:10 AM
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
I have the Sony dual format and I also find that +R is more compatible, but just barely (at least with my home DVD players and a few friends.)

Out of curiousity, which brands of DVD players have you tried? Which ones didn't play DVD-R, but played +R?

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avhokie is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avhokie Find more posts by avhokie Add avhokie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avhokie
HSCFHS

If you are looking to buy, check out the Optorite DD0203.

Writes +R +RW -R -RW. Also supports HD-Burn, which can put 1.5 GB on a CD! I believe the drive is a rebadged Sanyo. I've been reading a bunch of reviews, and the only negative I've seen so far is that the eject button is hard to use.

You can buy it here (PC Supply Store) for $185 shipped. Use coupon code PC050603.

They have a 9.01 Reseller Rating.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged