TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO, DirecTV/Tivo Receiver, and an Apple AirPort network... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
writer is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for writer Find more posts by writer Add writer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
writer

HMO, DirecTV/Tivo Receiver, and an Apple AirPort network...

Wonderful forum, I'm delighted to find it.

We currently have an original Hughes DirecTV/Tivo box (2 years old) hooked up to a telephone line; 4 other regular DirecTV boxes (none near a phone line, so we can't use pay per view on them); an Apple AirPort network (802.11b, not the Extreme); and a broadband internet connection through the network (Comcast cable modem).

I'd like to duplicate the DVR and pay per view functionality that we currently have in one room in another, and it dawns on me that I can do this by using the wireless network's broadband connection (this gets around the absence of a nearby phone line, I believe). But it appears that I cannot transfer shows that I'd recorded previously on my first generation box, because there's no USB port.

So here are my questions:

1) What box do I get for the second room (which already has the basic DirecTV box): Tivo, or DirecTV/Tivo?

2) Can I REALLY eliminate the need for a phone hook-up for this second room by using the wireless broadband connection?

3) Do I need to buy a second current generation DirecTV/Tivo box for the first room in order to share recorded shows?

Much thanks in advance. I've become a bit cynical in my old age, and I don't trust product announcements.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

There is no current support for HMO with the DirectTV boxes and I don't know if it's planned to happen in the future. It's my understanding that the ball is in DirectTV's court.

HMO is currently only available on the Series 2 stand alone units from either TiVo or Sony

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

writer is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 03:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for writer Find more posts by writer Add writer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
writer

Thanks for that, Bob. Does this mean...

...that I should use the regular TiVo box? How will that work, given that I have DirecTV?

Thanks!!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 04:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

The stand alone TiVo units can control the DirecTV receiver in a similar fashion to the way they control a digital cable box. The standalone TiVo units only have a single tuner though (where the DirecTivo units have two)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

writer is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 04:46 AM
writer

Thanks again.

I'm on the phone with DirecTV now!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged