TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> TIVO unit with HDTV recording <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
garland is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 04:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for garland Find more posts by garland Add garland to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garland

Question TIVO unit with HDTV recording

Is there a model out yet that will allow the recording of HDTV and when it is played back stay in that format?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 07-12-2003 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout
TiVo Forum Special Member

Nope. TiVo did announce and preview a plaform for this at CES, but there have been no announcements as to a ship date.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mbcook is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbcook Find more posts by mbcook Add mbcook to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbcook
Nice Guy

As much as I love my TiVo, I doubt that the first HDTiVo will be that great. Samsung has a combo DVR and HDTV reciever and it can only record 9 hours with a 120 gig hard drive. So to get any decent ammount of capacity it would cost a fortune.

It takes about 13 gigs to record one hour of HDTV based on the above box. Based on a quick look of prices, 18 hours of programming would cost $250 if you only put one HD in the box, $200 if you use a combination of two. To get 36 hours, you're looking at about $350 for the two hard drives you need. The largest HD on the market (IDE) that I know of is 300 gigs which comes in at 22 hours, and I can't even find a price for that. So the largest possible recording time with 2 hard drives is is about 45 hours (not taking into account the reserved space for tivo partners, OS software, etc). Assuming that the 300 gig hard drives are $350 each, that's $700 for the HDs alone.

Now TiVo could of course get quantity discounts, but still, as you can see right now storing HDTV content is NOT cheap. It comes our to around $12-$15 USD per hour.

Add to that that HDTV reciever decoder things all seem to cost $500+ without the PVR functionality, and a HDTiVo would be VERY expensive.

That said, if I had an HDTV, I'd buy one

TiVos:

Phillips DVR-7000 - 35 hours - Stock
Huges SD-DVR80 - 70 hours - Stock

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout
TiVo Forum Special Member

Hmmm, I've been thinking. What if TiVo knew how to do RAID? For those not into all the geek terms, its a way to have multiple smaller drives look like one big one. Linux already knows how to do RAID in software, so instead of buying big expensive drives, maybe we could have a unit with a number of smaller ones. Of course then there's a space and cooling issue, so it might not work, but per gig it might be cheaper. But then again, it might not.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Larry in TN is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 07:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Larry in TN Find more posts by Larry in TN Add Larry in TN to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry in TN

Go take a look at your Now Playing to To Do list and see how many of those shows are currently available in HD.

Mine is currently "none" but that's mainly because we're in the summer re-run season. I looked through my Season Pass Manager and 6-1/2 hours per week, 7 out of 36 season passes, air in HD. So that's about half of a 120GB drive per week leave about 60GB free for SD recording. I'm currently have a 60hr TiVo so that's about where I am now. Actually, I'd be better off than I am now since those 7 HD shows currently go on the 60GB drive.

So, the 120GB HDTiVo won't be too bad. Two 120GB drives, or two 200GB drives if the hardware will support it, would be pretty good.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mbcook is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 08:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbcook Find more posts by mbcook Add mbcook to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbcook
Nice Guy

PKScout, when a TiVo uses 2 drives, it uses them alot like a RAID. The only thing a real RAID would help TiVo with would be the pure data rate HDTV has, so that you would be able to write to the drive (record) and read from it (playback something else) at the same time.

As for what you said Lary, I wasn't thinking of the fact that most things are still SD, I was assuming everything got recorded in HD. I guess you're right, it wouldn't be that bad.

That said, remember that HDTV is already digitial, so you'd need an MPEG encoder (which you wouldn't need simply for a HDTV reciever) to be able to encode SD content from SD channels.

TiVos:

Phillips DVR-7000 - 35 hours - Stock
Huges SD-DVR80 - 70 hours - Stock

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 10:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

As far as I'm aware, a 2-drive TiVo isn't really doing anything RAID-like, it's just got an additional partition on which to store shows. Some shows will live entirely on one drive or another.

For performance reasons, sure, a "RAID 0" configuration (stripe set only, which isn't really "RAID" as there isn't anything Redundant about it, it's just, er, "AID" ) would have more available bandwidth, but I don't believe that 2 HD streams (which are compressed, after all) 720p or 1080i, plus the other relevant OS and database access, really requires more bandwidth than what can be provided by a single modern hard drive.

On that first box, it sounds like the capacity is rated on the worst-case bit rate of HD -- like DVD, your average bit rate is probably going to be lower, which should improve capacity. Personally, I think dual 120GB drives would be more than adequate for a mix of HD and SD programming, and by the time SD drops off the map drives will be less expensive. It's also not a huge increase in cost -- in quantity, probably less than $80 for the 2nd drive, plus the incremental increase for a slightly beefier power supply.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged