TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Sharing TV programs? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BrianFromLA is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 02:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrianFromLA Find more posts by BrianFromLA Add BrianFromLA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrianFromLA

Sharing TV programs?

I pretty much know the answer to this question, but I'm gonna ask anyways.

I have a friend in NYC with Tivo and HMO.
I am in LA with Tivo and am thinking of getting HMO.
There is a program in NYC that I love but its not available here in LA. (local show).
Is there a way that my friend can send me the show thru HMO, much like you can from multiple tivos within the same network?

Might be a silly question, cuz the answer is probably 'no'.

Let me know.

-brian

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Porch_Llama is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Porch_Llama Find more posts by Porch_Llama Add Porch_Llama to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Porch_Llama

Brian,

First of all, both Tivos need to under the same account in order use multi-room viewing. If they are on seperate accounts, I think you are pretty much stuck.

If for some crazy reason you have them setup on the same account, then there may be a technical solution to connect the two devices, but lots of work and money if you are not already setup for it...

Hope this helps.

P_L

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...lic/tv2018.htm?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

Unfortunately, no.

Theoretically, it's only possible under these conditions:

1) Both TiVo's have to be managed under the same account (identied under the same account at TiVo Central). HMO show sharing only works when both TiVo's are managed under the same account.

2) You have superfast bandwidth capabilities at each end (both upload and downdload) (most people with DSL or cable modems only have 128K up, but faster download speeds). If you have a true T1/T3 line connection on each end, it may be doable...most folks can't afford this...they're business class lines. Yeah, I know that certain models of ReplyTV units (new ones don't) can send shows over the internet, but it's very slow.

3) You would need to setup a virtual private network (VPN) connection between the two TiVos because each Tivo needs to see each other on the same subnet TCP/IP address. You need more bandwidth just to handle the encryption.

4) This assumes then that both TiVo's are not in the same household and I'm not absolutely certain what the licensing on HMO states out this...so this arrangement (1-3) may not be covered under the license usaged. Reader be aware.

Last edited by d_anders on 07-13-2003 at 04:15 AM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged