TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO + iTunes with Network Library <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
debtoine is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for debtoine Visit debtoine's homepage! Find more posts by debtoine Add debtoine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
debtoine
TiVo Forum Special Member

HMO + iTunes with Network Library

Within iTunes, I have moved my library to a network share. This works great, all the songs play within iTunes, and when I sync my iPod, all the songs successfully transfer to my iPod... now, when I try to play the songs on the TiVo, the song comes on the screen for a split second, and then the screen goes back to the song-list.

Any ideas?

T

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 11:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout

I have this recollection of some folks having a problem with TiVoDesktop working if the iTunes folder was on another volume (even another local volume). If I'm remembering correctly, then I suspect the same issue would be true for a network volume.

You might try an alias on your local volume instead of having iTunes point directly to the network share, but that may not help any. The last thing to try if you're at all familar with UNIX is to make a symbolic link to the network share. Again, no guarentees, but it might be worth a try.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

May I ask... why did you move your library to a network share?

iTunes 4 can share local songs and playlists with other networked Macs running iTunes. No network share needed.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

debtoine is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for debtoine Visit debtoine's homepage! Find more posts by debtoine Add debtoine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
debtoine

We have the MP3s on a network drive, for access from our PCs, and still keeping our Active Directory Authentication in tact.

I'll try the alias trick.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

Ah, gotcha.

BTW, if you choose to use a symbolic link instead of a typical Mac alias (sometimes that helps with Windows ot UNIX compatibility issues,) there a few utilities out that that make it simple. Apps like PathFinder or Cocktail (both available on VersionTracker.com.)

Last edited by Fofer on 07-14-2003 at 02:01 AM

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

debtoine is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 02:18 AM
debtoine

When I create a symbolic link, or a Mac Alias in my Home folder, and I select that folder within iTunes, it still points to the :MUSICFILES network share... it doesn't point to :Macintosh HD:users:myUsername:Music:iTunes:Musicfiles

Is there a way to force it to point to the link?

Thanks,

T

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 07:07 AM
Fofer

How about doing it the other way, that is, selecting a new folder to be your iTunes Library (from within iTunes prefs) and *then* creating the symbolic link where you want it to be?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

debtoine is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 07:13 AM
debtoine

Hmm... just so I understand what you mean... create a folder on my local HD... point iTunes to it... then close iTunes, and replace the folder with the symbolic link?

Edited to add: Did just this, and right after starting up iTunes, the location was changed to :MUSICFILES again

TiVo will have to fix this, quickly, it's rather rediculous that it cannot deal with something like this.

Last edited by debtoine on 07-14-2003 at 07:22 AM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 07:28 AM
Fofer

Sorry about the confusion... I, too, was unclear about what it is you wanted to do. My idea was that you'd move the music files back onto the Mac, and put the symbolic link elsewhere. I realize now you want to establish a symbolic link in your Home folder, where the TiVo HMO expects to find it.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 07:31 AM
Fofer

Here's what I'd try:
Leave your music on the network share, with iTunes set to point to that. Make sure it works fine and plays music as you'd expect.

THEN create a symbolic link of that, call it "iTunes" and put it in your ~/Music folder. Hopefully that will "trick" the TiVo HMO software...?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

counterpart25 is offline Old Post 07-18-2003 01:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for counterpart25 Find more posts by counterpart25 Add counterpart25 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
counterpart25

I keep my MP3s on a Firewire drive and HMO refused to see them (so did iTunes Sharing).

I fixed it by tweaking my firewall settings (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall). Turning off the firewall altogether allowed my other Macs and my Tivo to stream my MP3s. I haven't had the time to look into this any further, but there may be a way to keep the firewall on and just open up a particular port....?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 07-18-2003 02:11 PM
Fofer

The port for iTunes sharing, at least, is 3689.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged