TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> help with wireless <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kobe is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 01:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kobe Find more posts by kobe Add kobe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kobe

help with wireless

Hi all,

Having trouble getting my Tivo on my wireless network. I connected a DLink DWL-120+ USB adapter to my Tivo. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router.

I plugged the USB adapter into my Tivo and restarted it. Tivo will not recognize the network adapter, and I am not sure what to do about it.

Is anyone out there running this network equipment on their Tivo? Any suggestions?

By the way, I did hook the Dlink adapter to my laptop and successfully got on the network.

Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ilovetv is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 06:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ilovetv Find more posts by ilovetv Add ilovetv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ilovetv
Gotta have Tivo

What software verison are you running? Have you restarted tivo?

This is not an issue at this time but make sure you update the firmware on your router.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kobe is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 07:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kobe Find more posts by kobe Add kobe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kobe

I did restart the Tivo. The software on my tivo is version 4.0...

I'll check the router...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ilovetv is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ilovetv Find more posts by ilovetv Add ilovetv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ilovetv
Gotta have Tivo

The dlink 120 is SUPPOSED to work with Tivo. I don't think the router is the issue since Tivo will not recognize the adapter.

1. Have you tested the adapter and cable on your PC?

The firmware on your router should be 1.44.xx or higher

Here is the link to the firmware update utility.

The router at this point is not the problem though, you have to make sure your adapter is ok.

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=160

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kobe is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 09:13 PM
kobe

I did test the adapter and usb cable on a laptop and they worked fine.

The firmware on my router is 1.44.2z

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ilovetv is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 09:29 PM
ilovetv
Gotta have Tivo

Your hardware is ok. Have you tried switching USB ports on the Tivo one person here reported 1 bad port.

What is the message when you plug the adapter in? Is it adapter not recognized?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 07-20-2003 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

I've got a D-Link DI-713P router running Firmware 2.57 build 3a1.
I was going to update the firmware just because, but my wife (who is an EE) said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I ignored her and went to the D-Link update page anyway, and the first thing I read was...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." So I figured it was o.k. to leave well enough alone.

I also use the DWL-120 to connect both of my TiVo's. No problems with getting them to detect (getting them to access the residential gateway took many tries, however.)
I know on the TiVo page they mention certain revisions of the adapter working with certain DVR's - do you have the new style one with the flip out antenna that is shaped kind of like a PCMCIA card, or do you have the older style that is more like a box with an antenna on the side?
I know the newer one (rev. E, I believe) is supposed to work with all S2 SA TiVo's, so if you do have an older one, the solution might be to exchange it for a newer one.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kobe is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 12:08 AM
kobe

Well, I don't get any messages. I just don't get any of the new menu items that I should be getting in the settings menu. And, of course, Tivo can't find my server when I access the "music and photos" menu.

I think I have the newer D-Link adapter. It's very small with a flip-up antenna.

I also tried both USB ports on the Tivo, and the adapter was not recognized on either one. The adapter is getting power though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I might try putting a Linksys adapter on the Tivo. Didn't want to do that, as it costs about $40 more than the DLink. I'm running out of ideas though.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kobe is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 03:07 AM
kobe

Talking

Well, I went and bought a Linksys wusb11 and everything is working fine now. I just plugged it in and it worked - I didn't even have to restart the Tivo.

Never figured out why the dlink adapter wouldn't work...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 10:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

Weird.
Well, glad you got it running.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

azboiler is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for azboiler Find more posts by azboiler Add azboiler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
azboiler

There are 4 different kinds of dlink 120 adapters!!! (a,b,d,+) I tried the plus and couldn't get it to work. Depending on which router you have, only a,b,d work, the plus isn't on tivo's approved adapter list. I went through a billion different adapters and finally got the wusb12 to work.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged