TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-R is the most compatible format.. <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rombaldi is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 02:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rombaldi Find more posts by Rombaldi Add Rombaldi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rombaldi
MPEG Packet Picker

DVD-R is the most compatible format..

quote:
CDR-Info, has determined that DVD-R is clearly the most compatible DVD recording format on the market. To assess the compatibility level of DVD Formats we created video content on a DVD writer using DVD-R/RW and +R/RW media. These discs were then played back in other DVD players and DVD-ROM drives – over a 1,000 combinations of drive, media and player were tested.

The content created on a DVD-R/RW writer using a write once DVD-R disc played back in virtually all (96.1 percent) of the DVD players and DVD-ROM drives used in the research. DVD+R discs played back in 87.6 percent of the devices tested.

Since the market for recording to DVD has developed, and different formats have emerged, consumers have been concerned about the compatibility of their DVD recording devices with DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. The findings suggest that for customers who wish to create content on a DVD writer and interchange this with other PC drives and consumer DVD players, DVD-R is the clear format of choice.

Full story and test results

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 05:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

I think that most important is what is best for YOU. I would think that most people will be playing back the disks that they burn in the machine that they used to burn the disk. I wanted to get a DVD-R mechanism because my computer supports DVD-R which allows me to just duplicate the disk if a friend wants a copy or if I want to make a back-up copy of an especially important show I burned.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivospav is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 07:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivospav Find more posts by tivospav Add tivospav to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivospav
Wavemaster

quote:
Originally posted by cptodd
I think that most important is what is best for YOU. I would think that most people will be playing back the disks that they burn in the machine that they used to burn the disk. I wanted to get a DVD-R mechanism because my computer supports DVD-R which allows me to just duplicate the disk if a friend wants a copy or if I want to make a back-up copy of an especially important show I burned.

I tend to disagree with that. When I think of making a movie, I want it to be compatible with the most players. The last project I did, 38 discs were sent. I'm pretty happy they were DVD-R...I only had 1 return. Aside from archiving what other reason is there to have a DVD-R. I don't want to watch stuff on my computer...that's what I have a TV for.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 08:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

I don't think that you would be the average person then. Most folks, I would think, are not making "projects" or movies for other people to see. I could be wrong about this but most folks want one of these things to record Buffy or some other program and not to send out bunches of disks. Since you do have these needs I could see why a high level of compatibility would be important to you.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 08:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

I wanted DVD+RW so I wouldn't have to reformat the entire disk evertime I wanted to erase something. I haven't had too much trouble playing back the DVD+R disks I burn...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Skylooker is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 01:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Skylooker Find more posts by Skylooker Add Skylooker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skylooker
Loose Cannon

quote:
I would think that most people will be playing back the disks that they burn in the machine that they used to burn the disk.

I would have to disagree in the case where the DVD-R is burned on the PC. I burn DVDs and have almosr never played it back on the PC. As soon as the burn is complete, I test play it in my DVD player. Never do I play the DVD back on the computer.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 07-21-2003 03:45 PM
cptodd
Just Me!

Perhaps my original post was confusing. The reason I wanted to get a recorder that recorded in DVD-R format was because my computer could record in that format. This was important because it allowed me to use the computer to make a duplicate disk of what I recorded using my DVD-R standalone recorder. I also never use the computer to play back disks that I record using the standalone unit.

My original point was that, for the most , most people play the DVD that they make on their standalone units in the unit that they used to make the disk. Therefore the compatibility question while not moot, was less important that it seemed.

Are there people who need a high degree of compatibility between the units that they make their disks on and other people's units? Yes. Is it the vast majority of people? I would have to say no.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattack is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 07:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattack Find more posts by mattack Add mattack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattack
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
I wanted DVD+RW so I wouldn't have to reformat the entire disk evertime I wanted to erase something. I haven't had too much trouble playing back the DVD+R disks I burn...

You don't have to do that on DVD-RAM either.. (it behaves like a hard drive)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vman41 is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 08:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vman41 Find more posts by vman41 Add vman41 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vman41
Advanced Member

In my sample size of 8, DVD-Rs played back reliably in just 4 machines (and 1 of them was the DVD burner itself). The rule seems to be that the older the DVD player, the less compatible it is. The link to the "Full story" appears to be broken, so I couldn't see exactly what their matrix looks like.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 12:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by mattack
You don't have to do that on DVD-RAM either.. (it behaves like a hard drive)

Not many DVD-RAM players though.
I can play my DVD+RW in my Xbox and Philips DVD player.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lew is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 06:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lew Find more posts by lew Add lew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lew
Advanced Member

quote:
Are there people who need a high degree of compatibility between the units that they make their disks on and other people's units? Yes. Is it the vast majority of people? I would have to say no.

Count me in the minority. I want maximum compatability. If I ever have to replace my player (or buy another one for a bedroom or basement) I'd like to have the highest probability that my DVDs will play.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Redleg is offline Old Post 07-22-2003 09:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Redleg Find more posts by Redleg Add Redleg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redleg
TiVo Forum Special Member

If it's only for your personal use it may not be important, but compatibility is important if you want to be able to share home movies with aunts and grandparents and favorite TV shows with friends and family. I've tried several different brands of DVD-R blanks, and I've found that compatibility was directly related to the price/quality of the media. TDK, Fuji and even Memorex DVD-Rs will play on my (and my extended family's) Sony, Toshiba, Xbox, PS2, GE, and Apex players, whereas the cheapest media (bought online) sometimes won't even play back on my DVD-R burner!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattack is offline Old Post 07-23-2003 08:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattack Find more posts by mattack Add mattack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattack
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
Not many DVD-RAM players though.
I can play my DVD+RW in my Xbox and Philips DVD player.

You're right.. Though some newer Panasonic players do play DVD-RAM.

Though I see DVD-RAM as more of a "portable" format, a way to get stuff off of the recorder's hard drive -- and possibly play in other rooms (yes, with another new player, probably the cheapest one that'll do DVD-RAM).

But I think the advantages of DVD-RAM (it behaves "how you'd expect", has orders of magnitude more rewrites than the others, and you can do PVR-like tricks like watch-while-record on DVD-RAM) make it something I'll get, even if it is the "Beta" of rewritable DVD. DVD-R is the transfer/long-term format, DVD-RAM is just a bonus (IMHO).

I do admit I'll change my mind if/when $200-$300 hard-drive/DVD recorders come out.. i.e. I'll give up DVD-RAM features for a few hundred bucks. (But I'll probably have a DMR-E80 by then).

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cmaeditor is offline Old Post 07-23-2003 12:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cmaeditor Find more posts by cmaeditor Add cmaeditor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cmaeditor

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Art... Tests&Series=0

Try the link above

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kb7sei is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kb7sei Find more posts by kb7sei Add kb7sei to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kb7sei

If you're in the market, IMO, the best thing to do is look up your devices on dvdrhelp.com and see what media they are verified to work with. Some devices will play +R but not -R, some the other way around, some work with both. Figgure out what works for you, and buy that. Or buy a +/- burner and have both available.

I think that compatibility is important because most of us want to play back on normal DVD players. And some of the time, we will want to play back on someone else's DVD player. In those cases, it's a darn good idea to use the most compatible format. For those with standalone recorders, they will probably just use the recorder to play back most of the time. But what about when you want to share the recording with someone else? I think people are eventually going to want to treat these like VHS is now, and may be disapointed.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chuck_IV is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 10:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck_IV Find more posts by Chuck_IV Add Chuck_IV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck_IV

quote:
Originally posted by lew
Count me in the minority. I want maximum compatability. If I ever have to replace my player (or buy another one for a bedroom or basement) I'd like to have the highest probability that my DVDs will play.

Virtually all newer DVD players will play BOTH formats. The percentages are about even. Where DVD-R may have the slight advantage, is in older(much older) DVD players, since DVD-R has been around longer.

Personally, after doing a lot of research on this when deciding on what recorder(stand alone, not a PC drive) to buy, I bought a DVD+R/+RW recorder. I simply feel that, while DVD-R was first, DVD+R/+RW is the future.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 11:33 AM
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck_IV
Virtually all newer DVD players will play BOTH formats.

Not true. However it is likely that if it will play CD-R, it will play CD+R. But there are many new players that don't do either. Amazingly most of the cheapest ones do play both. I guess the long development cycles and specialized lasers and chips for ultimate performance on the high end players keep them behind the times. I have also found many players that can not read the RW form as well.

I finally gave up testing players when I got a Xbox and discovered it could play everything. Now I just need to hack it so I can play MP3s.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged