TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Apple 802.11g AirPort and Tivo Home Media <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
everyman is offline Old Post 07-23-2003 08:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for everyman Find more posts by everyman Add everyman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everyman

Apple 802.11g AirPort and Tivo Home Media

Sorry, if this topic has been covered elsewhere on this forum.

I have a G4 Apple PowerBook. And an Airport Extreme Apple Wireless Base Station. I read that Tivo's network adapter will only work with the 802.11b wireless networking standard. But Apple has adopted the 802.11g network standard. I think that my Airport Base Station is backwards compatible to 802.11b network wireless cards. I am almost positive, that although I have an 802.11g base station and card, that my AirPort will work with 802.11b cards. So does that mean I can use the home media option if I buy Tivo's wireless network adapter?
A friend of mine has an AirPort Extreme 802.11g base station and an iBook with an 802.11b wireless network card. So wouldn't the 802.11b adapter work with my Base Station?
Also, my broadband ethernet is plugged into my AirPort Base Station in my home office. That's where my cable modem is set up. My TV and Tivo are in my bedroom. I want to buy the usb wireless adapter and plug it into my Tivo Series2 dvr in the bedroom Will this work?
I really want to get the Tivo Home Media option. I hope it will work with my current Apple setup.
Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ScubaCat is offline Old Post 07-23-2003 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ScubaCat Find more posts by ScubaCat Add ScubaCat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScubaCat

The Linksys wusb12 adapter plays well with b/g routers but the wusb11 takes a lot of tweaking. The wusb12 is working great for me! Search for other threads on those items and you'll get lots of info.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

everyman is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 03:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for everyman Find more posts by everyman Add everyman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everyman

thank you very much for your suggestion. but i really want to keep my Apple AirPort. I'd like to know if it specifically will work with Tivo's Home Media option. i am not interested in any other router.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gaspanic is offline Old Post 07-24-2003 09:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gaspanic Find more posts by gaspanic Add gaspanic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gaspanic

It will work

i have the HMO with an airport and it works just fine. As long as your powerbook has a signal uptairs, the tivo should work just fine. I tested a few usb adapters and they all seem to work. As long as the airport is setup to handle both 802.11g & b you should be fine.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

everyman is offline Old Post 07-25-2003 01:54 PM
everyman

gaspanic,
thank you for your help. i don't understand your last sentence. what do you mean..."As long as the airport is setup to handle both 802.11g & b you should be fine."
I am not aware that my AirPort Extreme 802.11g base station can be set to handle both g and b. I think it just does, doesn't it? Isn't it automatically backwards compatible with b airport cards? so that would make it able to work with a b network adapter, right?
please explain what you meant a little more. i am no aware that i can manually set it to work with both. i just was under the impression that it does.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged