TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> What does HMO really get you? <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
d_anders is offline Old Post 08-06-2003 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

Re: What does HMO really get you?

I love the show sharing between two tivos, and I've really gotten good use out of photo features with family and friends with a recent adoption trip to China to get our daughter.

As for new releases, features, I really hope TiVo packages them under new releases of HMO and they won't cost more.

I bought HMO as an early adopter, expecting that the service would improve in time...just like when I bought my first TiVo in October, 2000.

HMO Release 2 - Wishlist:
======================

1) season pass/schedule conflict resolution,

2) music playing at the same time as viewing photos,

3) More robust music/photo mgmt & playback (WMA, etc., without the need for JRiver, etc.) Or TiVo should just buy JRiver and/or OEM it.

4) Upgraded Show Sharing: Allow Immediate/Begin transfer of shows that are recording in progress from the other TiVo, etc...) I've got a digital settop box on the downstairs TiVo, but not upstairs, etc. so if want to watch a show almost live (I don't want to wait for the recording to complete, etc.).

5) Support for Wireless G products, and any upcoming USB2.0 Wirless G adapters.

Series 2 - Next Release - Wishlist:
==========================

1) User Defined Groups/Folders
2) Deletion of Whole Groups/Folders with one selection
3) Save to VCR of entire groups/folders (yes, same as batch save to VCR, under the aspices of user defined groups/folders).

Last edited by d_anders on 08-06-2003 at 12:58 AM

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leggettb is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leggettb Find more posts by Leggettb Add Leggettb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leggettb

Personally I wish I could stream MPEG1,2 or DIVX to my TIVO. I'd love to be able to watch my home movies on my Tivos.

This would be the selling point for me.

Bruce

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csallen is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 04:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csallen Find more posts by csallen Add csallen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csallen

HMO

I too was a Home Media Option doubter. It finally today was activated and I was playing with it this afternoon. I am an IT junkie but this is pretty darn cool.

I have "published" both pictures and music and it is cool to see the pictures on the "big screen" and hear the music through the sound system.

Now with any luck, I can talk the significant other into getting another Tivo for the bedroom so we can have ineffect "dual tuners"and can transfer shows between room.

I figured that for free I would try HMO. Now that I have played with it for a day I will probably buy it for 60 bucks. Heck it is almost half the "orginal" cost and when I do actually get another Tivo and activate the HMO on it, I will ineffect get two for the price of one - almost.

Just my thoughts,

Scott

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ddj91 is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 04:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ddj91 Find more posts by ddj91 Add ddj91 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ddj91

NoirTech,

How do you stream internet radio through HMO? Does that require J River MC?

In testing HMO this week, it definitely provides an easy way to pump mp3's through your stereo, but I'm looking forward to software that provides greater capabilities. Sorting improvements would be helpful. The SLIMP3 has been out longer and has a convenient interface, but you can't beat HMO's $59 price tag (versus $239 for SLIMP3).

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NoirTech is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 10:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NoirTech Find more posts by NoirTech Add NoirTech to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoirTech

quote:
Originally posted by ddj91
NoirTech,

How do you stream internet radio through HMO? Does that require J River MC?

In testing HMO this week, it definitely provides an easy way to pump mp3's through your stereo, but I'm looking forward to software that provides greater capabilities. Sorting improvements would be helpful. The SLIMP3 has been out longer and has a convenient interface, but you can't beat HMO's $59 price tag (versus $239 for SLIMP3).

Just responded to your private message. I hope it helps.
There is a thread also that explains it in greater detail.
Cheers

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DancesWithMice is offline Old Post 09-02-2003 04:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DancesWithMice Find more posts by DancesWithMice Add DancesWithMice to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DancesWithMice

I have to agree, the home media option is really not worth the price for just displaying photo's or playing MP3 from my PC on my TV set. With my PC, I dump the mp3's onto a CD and play them on my stereo at better quality. I also put my photo's on a VCD or DVD and play them on the TV with the DVD player. HMO really doesn't offer any advantage for photo's or mp3's to a PC geek that knows how to work a CD burner. (Arguably you have to be atleast that good to get the Tivo software running on your PC in the first place). I'd pay about $20 for these two features.

The "share program's between TIVO's" feature is a more intersting option, but it requires the pricey investment of two tivo series 2 recorders, and two copies of the home media option upgrade. Why should I need more than one Tivo - especially since the DirecTivo can record two shows at a time.

If tivo offered a very cheap network to TV box (without record functions) for say $49 or so to hook to an alternate tv set that allowed you to pull shows from the primary tivo, then I would be much more interested. Maybe if they made it compatible with a networked DVD player (search Yahoo for "Networked DVD player" and you will find several).

The best value would be if Tivo let you play shows it recorded on your PC.... Yeah, I know, Tivo won't fight the copyright battle on that one.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmjr is offline Old Post 10-29-2003 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmjr Visit jsmjr's homepage! Find more posts by jsmjr Add jsmjr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmjr

Question Remote Sharing of Photos / Streamed Music

quote:
Originally posted by NoirTech
I have family, friends and co-workers who also have a Series 2 Tivo, with HMO. We log unto each others IP address and stream each others MP3s, and pictures. Every once in a while I'll get a phone call from one of them saying something to the effect of: "Hey Erick! Have you heard the new <enter band name here>?" I'll in turn say "No". Friend: "Log unto my IP with your TiVo and check it out.". And so I'll do that. Same things with pictures. They'll tell me about a cool concert they went to that I missed, but they are able to share the pictures, all of this, without having to see each other. Just gotta log unto their IP address.

Has anyone else accomplished this? Is it really as easy as it sounds? I gave it a quick and dirty trial with a friend but did not achieve the advertised results, so maybe I'm missing something here. FWIW, from the remote location I could access an FTP server running on the same computer as the TiVo Server, so I don't think this could be a firewall issue. (That computer is behind a Linksys router, but it's been DMZ'd.)

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-29-2003 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: Remote Sharing of Photos / Streamed Music

quote:
Originally posted by jsmjr
Has anyone else accomplished this? Is it really as easy as it sounds? I gave it a quick and dirty trial with a friend but did not achieve the advertised results, so maybe I'm missing something here. FWIW, from the remote location I could access an FTP server running on the same computer as the TiVo Server, so I don't think this could be a firewall issue. (That computer is behind a Linksys router, but it's been DMZ'd.)

I've done this (also with the TiVo Desktop computer in the DMZ). The problem you may have run into is that the Windows version of TiVo Desktop can implement an access list so that only certain TiVo units can get the stream. Make sure that it's set to "all TiVo units" or something like that.

I run the Mac client so I can't be more specific.

BTW - I think it's a really bad idea to have a computer perpetually in the router's DMZ. It would be much better to map the appropriate port range over.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmjr is offline Old Post 10-29-2003 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmjr Visit jsmjr's homepage! Find more posts by jsmjr Add jsmjr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmjr

Good thought about the TiVo server setting, but it was set to "allow all tivo dvrs access to published media files."

All you did was enter your external IP address and it worked?

I take your point about about DMZ, but port forwarding is an area that seems really difficult to master, and I'm intimidated. I do have ZoneAlarm running on the computer, and that gives me some comfort. (TiVo Server and TiVo Beacon are both given full permissions -- access and server, trusted and internet -- under that program.)

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-29-2003 03:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by jsmjr
Good thought about the TiVo server setting, but it was set to "allow all tivo dvrs access to published media files."

All you did was enter your external IP address and it worked?

Yep -- I manually entered the IP address of the other TiVo Desktop machine and it worked. The same was true for others to get to my machine running TiVo Desktop.
quote:
I take your point about about DMZ, but port forwarding is an area that seems really difficult to master, and I'm intimidated. I do have ZoneAlarm running on the computer, and that gives me some comfort. (TiVo Server and TiVo Beacon are both given full permissions -- access and server, trusted and internet -- under that program.)

I don't know if ZoneAlarm introduces any additional "protection" features (for example, limiting access to only the internal network)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged