TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> What does HMO really get you? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
adavis474 is offline Old Post 07-28-2003 11:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for adavis474 Find more posts by adavis474 Add adavis474 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adavis474

Question What does HMO really get you?

I looked for a faq, but couldn't find one. I have a series 1 tivo, and am trying to find out whether I want to get a series 2. Information is hard to come by though.

What can you do with a series 2, and what more can you do with the HMO? The advertising tells you the features that you can get with HMO, but I'm wondering if I can do what I want without purchasing the option. For instance, Do I need to have HMO in order to move data from the tivo to the computer?

If this info is already out there, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Ann

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

VinceA is offline Old Post 07-28-2003 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for VinceA Find more posts by VinceA Add VinceA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VinceA
Advanced Member

Even the HMO won't let you move programs from your TiVo to a computer. It will allow you to move programs from one TiVo in your house to another in your house (if both have the HMO).

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adavis474 is offline Old Post 07-29-2003 12:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for adavis474 Find more posts by adavis474 Add adavis474 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adavis474

Okay, But do you have to have the home media option to put your tivo on a home network? Series 2 comes with a network card, doesn't it?

--Ann

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hawkamer is offline Old Post 07-29-2003 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hawkamer Find more posts by hawkamer Add hawkamer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hawkamer
Super Duper Member

quote:
Originally posted by adavis474
Okay, But do you have to have the home media option to put your tivo on a home network? Series 2 comes with a network card, doesn't it?

--Ann

You don't need HMO to hook your TiVo up to a home network. Series 2 units with 4.0 software officially supports broadband connection to retrieve guide data. But that's all you'll get, without HMO, in other words, no MP3s, photos, multi-room viewing, or remote scheduling.

Series 2 do not include a network card. You need a USB Ethernet adapter (wired or wireless).

Here are the HMO details:

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.asp

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fz1162 is offline Old Post 07-29-2003 10:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fz1162 Find more posts by fz1162 Add fz1162 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fz1162

How do I tell if I have version 4.0 I have the Hughes Direct TV Series 2. In System Info it says 3.01.01....... It has two USB ports.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 07-29-2003 04:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by fz1162
How do I tell if I have version 4.0 I have the Hughes Direct TV Series 2. In System Info it says 3.01.01....... It has two USB ports.

There are no announced plans to provide 4.0 software to D-TiVo boxes. Any HMO discussions relate only to the Series 2 SA units.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Convert is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 08:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Convert Find more posts by Convert Add Convert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Convert
Active Lurker

quote:
Originally posted by hawkamer
You don't need HMO to hook your TiVo up to a home network. Series 2 units with 4.0 software officially supports broadband connection to retrieve guide data. But that's all you'll get, without HMO, in other words, no MP3s, photos, multi-room viewing, or remote scheduling.
And why would I want MP3, digital photos on my TV, and mult-TiVo viewing?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

2324070933 is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 10:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 2324070933 Find more posts by 2324070933 Add 2324070933 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

And why would I want MP3, digital photos on my TV, and mult-TiVo viewing?

Ever have some photos that you took and want to show a bunch of people? Instead everyone huddling around your desktop, they can all sit back on the couch in the living room (or where ever your tivo is) and look at the photos.

MP3's, if you have your tivo hooked up to your entertainment center like I do, then instead of burning CD's to play in the CD player, you can just stream it through your tivo from your entire MP3 collection through your stereo.

I don't have multiple tivo's so the multi-veiwing doesn't appeal to me.

The remote scheduling is really cool. If you are out of town and have an internet connection and see something that you want to record, just login into tivo and schedule it.

I am really pumped up about this free trial and will more than likely get the package for $59 at the end of the period. I just ordered my wireless adapter and can't wait.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 11:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott

Sharing photos is not limited to your local network -- enter the IP address of your serving PC in the photos window of any HMO activated TiVo and you can share your pictures with TiVo equipped family & friends wherever they may be.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale

Does anyone know when the new software version comes out for HMO, will we have to pay for that if we already have HMO?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 12:40 AM
mdscott

There have not been any announcements about any new version of HMO -- let alone how or if there would be a charge for existing users.

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Convert is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Convert Find more posts by Convert Add Convert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Convert
Active Lurker

quote:
Originally posted by 2324070933
Ever have some photos that you took and want to show a bunch of people? Instead everyone huddling around your desktop, they can all sit back on the couch in the living room (or where ever your tivo is) and look at the photos.

MP3's, if you have your tivo hooked up to your entertainment center like I do, then instead of burning CD's to play in the CD player, you can just stream it through your tivo from your entire MP3 collection through your stereo.

Nope, sorry, I wouldn't pay extra for BOTH of these together. And I really can't figure out why anyone but a gadget-junkie would!

Last edited by Convert on 07-31-2003 at 11:12 PM

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NoirTech is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 09:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NoirTech Find more posts by NoirTech Add NoirTech to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoirTech

quote:
Originally posted by Convert
Nope, sorry, I wouldn't pay extra for BOTH of these together. And I really can't figure out why anyone but a agdget-junkie would!

It's not only for gadget-junkies. People who have friends and family that also own Tivo with HMO benefit from this feature by being able to share mp3s and pictures from their different locations. Sure, this might not be for you specifically, but that's ok. The world will still be here tomorrow.
I hope. ;-)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

quote:
Nope, sorry, I wouldn't pay extra for BOTH of these together. And I really can't figure out why anyone but a agdget-junkie would!

Then it's not for you.

Why do I get the feeling we're being trolled?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Convert is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 11:15 PM
Convert
Active Lurker

quote:
Originally posted by Zathrus
Why do I get the feeling we're being trolled?
Nope, not trolling. I'm a confirmed TiVo zealot. I'm wanting someone to show me a good reason for HMO. I haven't seen one yet.

Oh, and sorry about the nimble-fingered typo.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NoirTech is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 12:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NoirTech Find more posts by NoirTech Add NoirTech to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NoirTech

quote:
Nope, not trolling. I'm a confirmed TiVo zealot. I'm wanting someone to show me a good reason for HMO. I haven't seen one yet.

Oh, and sorry about the nimble-fingered typo.

It's all good Convert. Definately not for everyone. I wouldn't look too hard to find a reason. If you don't see a good use for it right away (like I, my family, and friends noticed), then it probably isn't for you. I don't think you should look for people to convince you, if that is what you were looking for.

In case you are curious though, here at the reason I decided to get HMO, ...i no particular order:

1. I take a lot of pictures with my digital camera. I like going to clubs, concerts, and other events and taking pictures. My friends are pretty animated, so I end taking some pretty,...uhm...interesting pictures. hehehe. Every other weekend, I have friends over to watch movies. One of my living rooms is set up as a home theatre. So, before we get situated to watch a movie, I have a slide show of the pictures I've taken going. Good conversation pieces there. Sometimes, someone will see one they want, and I'll go over to the computer and make them a hard copy of the picture. This is also the case when I have family members over. For example, on 2/15/03, I finally got married. My father came to visit last weekend. We showed him the pictures on TiVo, and he picked and choosed which ones he wanted right off from the 65" widescreen TV. Yes, we could have done it from my den, but it wouldn't have been as comfortable. We just sat back in the nice (and expensive) couches, and talked about life and the pictures.

2. Music listening. Sometimes I end up doing a lot of work around the house. The living room is in an open space where I can hear the surround system from pretty much anywhere I am in the house. So, I usually have an internet radio station (from shoutcast) playing through TiVo while I work on various projects. Other times, I want to show whoever might be visiting some new artist I might have ready to listen. So I turn on the TiVo and stream the music right off of it.

3. I have family, friends and co-workers who also have a Series 2 Tivo, with HMO. We log unto each others IP address and stream each others MP3s, and pictures. Every once in a while I'll get a phone call from one of them saying something to the effect of: "Hey Erick! Have you heard the new <enter band name here>?" I'll in turn say "No". Friend: "Log unto my IP with your TiVo and check it out.". And so I'll do that. Same things with pictures. They'll tell me about a cool concert they went to that I missed, but they are able to share the pictures, all of this, without having to see each other. Just gotta log unto their IP address.

4. Scheduling shows from work. Can't help it. At work, we talk a lot about tv shows. Part of our business sometimes. I'll hear about a new show I had no idea about, and I tell TiVo to schedule it, right from work. For example, "American Chopper". Someone was talking about it here at work. I checked the tvguide schedule, and I was going to miss it because I was at work and unable to record it. Woo! I have HMO. Logged unto Tivo.com and scheduled it right from the site. Got email back stating it was ready to record, and it was ready for me to watch when I got home.

Ok....those are just 4 examples of what I am doing with HMO. I understand that you might not care about any of those reasons, and that is totally cool. Just wanted to let you know what I was doing with it, in case anything interests you.

Ok...I think this post is long enough. Later

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shady is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 02:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shady Find more posts by shady Add shady to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shady

quote:
Nope, sorry, I wouldn't pay extra for BOTH of these together. And I really can't figure out why anyone but a gadget-junkie would!

I've ripped all my CDs for the sole purpose of being able to play albums in my collection without having to find the physical CD (sometimes in the car). So call me lazy, but it's so much easier selecting an album from a menu than searching for it in numerous drawers.

I also listen to Virgin Radio a lot. I can now do this in my lounge, rather than my computer room.

I didn't think I'd use the picture viewing capabilities, but I've since found that I'm much more apt to watch a slide show on the TV then pick up a photo album, so this was a bonus for me.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Convert is offline Old Post 08-02-2003 12:30 AM
Convert
Active Lurker

Okay, good reasons, NoirTech and shady. But still not worth even the reduced price. You're right, not for everyone.

I take a fair number of digital photos, but seeing them on "the big screen" would only point out the flaws. Since most of them are meant for the internet, a computer screen is good enough.

I don't "get" mp3. If I want music around the house, I can fire up the receiver, dial in the cable music, or put some CDs on. MP3 doesn't do anything for me.

I really don't want anyone coming in to my TiVo. Let 'em record their own stuff.

Okay, remote scheduling might be good. But I usually only change my scheduling twice a year. If I miss a show, it will be back in some form or another.

But you gave good explanations of what to expect, and certainly helped me make up my mind. Thanks.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmp is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmp Find more posts by dmp Add dmp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmp

What do you get with?

Nothing when Tivo inactivates all HMO subscribers and doesn't get it fixed for 24 plus hours. Wait until HMO is more reliable or get ReplayTV.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

You also get, for free, completely inaccurate statements from users!

The first report of HMO going inactive was at 10:22 am (Eastern) on Saturday. TiVoBill stated the problem was fixed by 1:15 pm and only required a forced daily call. Less than 3 hours... not 24.

And not all TiVos w/ HMO were affected. I have two TiVos on the same account -- one still had HMO active, the other did not.

Was I happy that I had to do a daily call? No. Was I happy that when an issue was found, on a weekend, that TiVo had it fixed in very short order? Yup.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged