TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO with Linux (any updates) <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
urulokion is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 03:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for urulokion Find more posts by urulokion Add urulokion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urulokion

Might I suggest a very helpful tools for diagnosis network problems: tcpdump. It's a network packet sniffer. I can sometimes save a lot of hair pulling.

It might look a mite complicated to use, but you don't need to use every bell and whistle. Here's a short primer using you setup.

tcpdump -l -i eth1 host 192.168.1.254

That will show you all going to and from your Tivo that running on your internal private network. If you want to turn off DNS lookups add 'n'. It can speed things up on output.

If you need any help, you can contact me directly via www.monsters.org.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

urulokion is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for urulokion Find more posts by urulokion Add urulokion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urulokion

dgc

If you need any help with SourceForge, I can help. I've got a project of my own hosted at SourceForge: http://spong.sf.net

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wescravn is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 07:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wescravn Find more posts by wescravn Add wescravn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wescravn

i get missing config file parameter, don't know why, and the documentation is slim

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

urulokion is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 11:06 PM
urulokion

Patch for audio streams in byRequest

I was exploring some more Internet Radio sites on Shoutcast.com. Some of them , Club 977 and Radio Paradise among others, still refused for work with byRequest. After peeking and poking the data streams I found that those sites wanted a User Agent header.

So the attached patch adds a 'User-Agent: byRequest' header to the HTTP requests. This patch is vs. byRequest 0.43.

Attachment: useragent.patch.zip
This has been downloaded 68 time(s).

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

armooo is offline Old Post 08-11-2003 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for armooo Find more posts by armooo Add armooo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
armooo

Crash

Version .41 works but will not handle '&' in file names. But version .43 crashed when my Tivo brodcasts looking for servers.

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: Network interface eth0: ip=10.0.1.108, mask=255.255.255.0

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: Broadcasting on interface: eth0

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: New audio rootdir entry: audio/*,ArmMP3 Music,/mnt/mp3/Good

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: New audio virtual byArtist entry: audio/*,ArmMP3 Music; by artist,/mnt/mp3

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: New audio virtual byGenre entry: audio/*,ArmMP3 Music; by genre,/mnt/mp3

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: New audio rootdir entry: audio/*,ArmMP3 Bad Music,/mnt/mp3/****

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: New audio rootdir entry: audio/*,ArmMP3 Streams,/mnt/mp3/Radio

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: Add dirp to directory cache: /

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: Using the following tools:
convert: (null)
mplayer: /usr/local/bin/mplayer
lame: /usr/bin/lame
ogg123: (null)

Sun Aug 10 12:39:40: byRequest - 'Yet Another Tivo Server' server, version 0.43
from The Land Of Mystery on August 4, 2003 as pid 23026

Sun Aug 10 12:40:49: Rcvd Command:

Sun Aug 10 12:40:49: Path:
nect=1
swversion=4.0-01-2-240
method=connected
identity=2400000XXXXXXXXX
machine=Bed <= This should be Bed Room
Segmentation fault

The core file is attched.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sbeausol is offline Old Post 08-11-2003 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sbeausol Find more posts by sbeausol Add sbeausol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sbeausol

Can someone post a working .pls example. I cannot get it working with byRequest...
only with tivoserver. byRequest, however, is much prefered as it is significantly more efficient with photos.

Also, as anyone got m3u playlists working yet with byRequest... I generate my lists with find /path -name '*.mp3'. They work with xmms, but I can only get the first song to play on the tivo...

thoughts?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 08-16-2003 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

I'm having the same "segmentation fault" problem when my TiVo tries to connect to byRequest.

My TiVo name has a space in it, like armoo's (mine is "Media Closet"). Here's the log:

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: Network interface eth0: ip=192.168.1.20, mask=255.255.255.0

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: Network interface lo: ip=127.0.0.1, mask=255.0.0.0

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: Broadcasting on interface: eth0

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: New audio rootdir entry: audio/*,Music,/home/storage/MP3s

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: New image rootdir entry: image/*,Pics,/home/storage/images

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: Add dirp to directory cache: /

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: Using the following tools:
convert: /usr/bin/convert
mplayer: (null)
lame: (null)
ogg123: (null)
sox: (null)
vsound: /usr/lib/vsound/libvsound.so
splay: /scratch/src/HelixDNA_DeveloperRelease_4_Lin/splay

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: byRequest - 'Yet Another Tivo Server' server, version 0.43
from The Land Of Mystery on August 4, 2003 as pid 1388

Fri Aug 15 13:55:31: Received new beacon: machine=scorpius(pc/linux)->TiVoMediaServer:2190/http

Fri Aug 15 13:57:02: Rcvd Command:

Fri Aug 15 13:57:02: Path:
nect=1
swversion=4.0-01-2-240
method=connected
identity=230000XXXXXXX
machine=Media <-- Media Closet
Segmentation fault

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 08-16-2003 12:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

Strange ... now it's working.

I was frustrated that I couldn't get byRequest to stop faulting, so I started back up tivoserver.pl to make sure I could still see music and pictures on my TiVo. That worked fine.

For some reason, I tried one more time. I shut down tivoserver.pl and restarted byRequest ... and now it's working! Wierd.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 08-16-2003 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgc Find more posts by dgc Add dgc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgc

There's now a sourceforge project set up for byRequest (http://www.sf.net/projects/byrequest). The first task is probably to consolidate all the patches that are floating around. One of those patches is supposed to fix the 1-entry in a playlist problem.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aressa is offline Old Post 08-22-2003 05:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aressa Find more posts by aressa Add aressa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aressa

I'm still getting the SegFault too...

code:
Thu Aug 21 17:11:26: Received new beacon: machine=clark(pc/linux)->TiVoMediaServer:2190/http Thu Aug 21 17:13:22: Rcvd Command: Thu Aug 21 17:13:22: Path: nect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=connected identity=1300000xxxxxxxx machine=Living Room Segmentation fault

My "machine" is "Living Room DVR". Any Ideas? edit to say This works flawlessly and I can browse all the offerings through my web browser...

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

urulokion is offline Old Post 08-22-2003 07:15 AM
urulokion

quote:
Originally posted by aressa
I'm still getting the SegFault too...

code:
Thu Aug 21 17:11:26: Received new beacon: machine=clark(pc/linux)->TiVoMediaServer:2190/http Thu Aug 21 17:13:22: Rcvd Command: Thu Aug 21 17:13:22: Path: nect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=connected identity=1300000xxxxxxxx machine=Living Room Segmentation fault

My "machine" is "Living Room DVR". Any Ideas? edit to say This works flawlessly and I can browse all the offerings through my web browser...

I was thrown off by the log entry and embarked off on a tangent. But I've found the section of code that where it bombing. I get a suspicion why it's happening but i don't see how.

Recompile your byRequst using the patched command.c file I have attached. I just added a debug'ing output statement to section of code thats bombing.

Run the program and wait for another Segment Fault. The log file should have the information I need to confirm my suspicion. And inidication how to fix the problem.

Attachment: commands-debug.zip
This has been downloaded 52 time(s).

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aressa is offline Old Post 08-22-2003 10:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aressa Find more posts by aressa Add aressa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aressa

code:
Thu Aug 21 22:09:23: sendFile: path-parm= @@nect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=connected identity=1300000xxxxxxxxx machine=Living Room@@

There's your new debug line... looks like it's cutting off the path. Now I too am intrigued. I might be able to help dig into it tomorrow night if you need help tracking down this specific bug (my 13month old son says it's bed time right now!)

Thanks for the response...

Ugh... now you got me coding:
code:
addToLog( "Path:\n%s\n", path ); newpath = isValidFileRef( path ); addToLog( "After Newpath...\n@@%s@@\n", newpath);

... added the "After Newpath..." line and it never gets there, the segfault is in isValidFileRef(). Now of course I have to go look there... wonder if my wife is getting angry yet!

AAAannnd that is too much for me to parse tonight. Hope that helps.

Did you say you have a developer's list for this? Now that I have poked around the code I would not mind at least keeping a watch and maybe helping out.

Last edited by aressa on 08-22-2003 at 10:51 AM

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

urulokion is offline Old Post 08-22-2003 12:08 PM
urulokion

Interesting. I hand't read the second half of you post. I though addToLog("Path:... was seg faulting. But I don't think changed what I think is happening. But too late to debug to night. Bed for now.

There is a developer list. I just joined it myself earlier this evening. It's on sf.net Goto http://sf.net/projects/byrequest , Click on the 'Lists' and then the Subscribe... link for the developer list.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aressa is offline Old Post 08-23-2003 12:39 AM
aressa

I've been coding a bit this morning, I sent this to the dev list, but I have not seen the email come to me yet, so I'll post it here:
in beacon.c, rcvBeaconMesage:

code:
if( services == NULL ) { addToLog("No Services in beacon!"); } else { addToLog("(%x) malloc for services [%s]...", b, services); b->services = ( char* ) malloc( strlen( services ) + 1 ); addToLog("(%x) copy [%s] to bStruct...", b, services); strcpy( b->services, services ); }
The segfault is occuring for me when there is no services parameter in the beacon message, a simple services==NULL check keeps it from segfaulting, but my wife says that is still not "working".

The beacon message that comes from my TiVo is:
code:
Fri Aug 22 12:09:25: Parsing Beacon: [ tivoconnect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=unicast identity=1300000xxxxxxxx machine=Living Room DVR platform=tcd/Series2 ]

... and kind of back to what we were seeing earlier, here is a bit more from my newer verbose logs:
code:
Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: Raw Command (first read): 1024 @@@@ Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: Raw Command Extend: 2048 @@@@ Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: Raw Command Final: 2048 @@@@ Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: Rcvd Command (2048): Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: Processing command: (null) Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: CmdStart: nect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=connected identity=1300000xxxxxxxxxxxxxx machine=Living Room Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: sendFile: path-parm= @@nect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=connected identity=1300000xxxxxxxxx machine=Living Room@@ Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: Path: nect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=connected identity=1300000xxxxxxxx machine=Living Room Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: After Newpath... @@(null)@@ Fri Aug 22 12:09:15: Null Newpath!

As you can see the Path and Command code is still getting cut off.

Ideas?

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 08-23-2003 01:19 AM
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

I must be doing something wrong ...

... I start byRequest and can see in a 'netstat -a' that port 2190 is listening. However, nothing appears in Music & Photos on the TiVo (except for music and photos online). I see the normal messages in the log:

Fri Aug 22 15:09:22: byRequest - 'Yet Another Tivo Server' server, version 0.43
from The Land Of Mystery on August 4, 2003 as pid 9004

Fri Aug 22 15:09:22: Received new beacon: machine=scorpius(pc/linux)->TiVoMediaServer:2190/http

Now, if I go to "Manually Add a Server" and enter the IP address of my Linux box, when I try to connect to it, I get the 'segmentation fault' of byRequest.

I've even tried restarting xinetd thinking maybe that would clear out the ports if there was a problem, no dice.

Even stranger, if I start up ptivohmo (tivoserver.pl) FIRST (and confirm it's working), then shut it down and start up byRequest instead, it works!

Not for long, though. If I leave it and come back, say, 30 minutes later, the services have disappeared from M&P on the TiVo, even though byRequest is still running.

Anyone else experiencing something like this?

Thanks!

P.S. By the way, byRequest is FAST when it comes to pictures ... it seems to really crank through generating those thumbnails. ptivohmo always seems to choke on that for some reason ...

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 08-23-2003 01:29 AM
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

I must be doing something wrong ...

... I start byRequest and can see in a 'netstat -a' that port 2190 is listening. However, nothing appears in Music & Photos on the TiVo (except for music and photos online). I see the normal messages in the log:

Fri Aug 22 15:09:22: byRequest - 'Yet Another Tivo Server' server, version 0.43
from The Land Of Mystery on August 4, 2003 as pid 9004

Fri Aug 22 15:09:22: Received new beacon: machine=scorpius(pc/linux)->TiVoMediaServer:2190/http

Now, if I go to "Manually Add a Server" and enter the IP address of my Linux box, when I try to connect to it, I get the 'segmentation fault' of byRequest.

I've even tried restarting xinetd thinking maybe that would clear out the ports if there was a problem, no dice.

Even stranger, if I start up ptivohmo (tivoserver.pl) FIRST (and confirm it's working), then shut it down and start up byRequest instead, it works!

Not for long, though. If I leave it and come back, say, 30 minutes later, the services have disappeared from M&P on the TiVo, even though byRequest is still running.

Thanks!

P.S. By the way, byRequest is FAST when it comes to pictures ... it seems to really crank through generating those thumbnails. ptivohmo always seems to choke on that for some reason ...

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aressa is offline Old Post 08-23-2003 02:05 AM
aressa

More thoughts:
In processCommand():

code:
addToLog( "Raw cmdStart:\n[ %s ]", cmdStart); for( cp = cmdstart; *cp; cp++ ) /* do nothing */; while( cp > cmdstart && *cp != ' ' ) cp--; if( *cp == ' ' ) *cp = '\0'; addToLog( "Parsed cmdStart:\n[ %s ]", cmdStart);

I'm not sure what to think about this chunk of code (and I have not tested the logging entries here), but this maybe be the culprit cutting off my TiVo's Beacon. It seems to me this is stepping backwards and finding the last space in the Beacon and cutting everything off after that. Why? The last space in my Beacon is in my TiVo's name:
code:
Fri Aug 22 12:09:25: Parsing Beacon: [ tivoconnect=1 swversion=4.0-01-2-130 method=unicast identity=1300000xxxxxxxx machine=Living Room DVR platform=tcd/Series2 ]

Kind of wish my wife was home to test this...

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

urulokion is offline Old Post 08-23-2003 03:48 AM
urulokion

quote:
Originally posted by aressa
More thoughts:
In processCommand():
code:
addToLog( "Raw cmdStart:\n[ %s ]", cmdStart); for( cp = cmdstart; *cp; cp++ ) /* do nothing */; while( cp > cmdstart && *cp != ' ' ) cp--; if( *cp == ' ' ) *cp = '\0'; addToLog( "Parsed cmdStart:\n[ %s ]", cmdStart);

I'm not sure what to think about this chunk of code (and I have not tested the logging entries here), but this maybe be the culprit cutting off my TiVo's Beacon. It seems to me this is stepping backwards and finding the last space in the Beacon and cutting everything off after that. Why? The last space in my Beacon is in my TiVo's name:
[snip]
Kind of wish my wife was home to test this...

The code is doing exactly what you describe. We may have a problem with assumed maximum strings lengths. A strcpy overflowing a short buffer but not enough for an immediate seg fault.

My Tivo's names are all one word w/o any spaced. I wonder if people having spaces in their Tivo names is the common cause of the seg faults?

I think you your on to somethng here. I still got a couple more hours here are work before I can dig into it.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aressa is offline Old Post 08-23-2003 04:41 AM
aressa

quote:
Originally posted by urulokion
My Tivo's names are all one word w/o any spaced. I wonder if people having spaces in their Tivo names is the common cause of the seg faults?

I think you your on to somethng here. I still got a couple more hours here are work before I can dig into it.

My wife just got home, so I can work on this more from work now...

I'm still having the problem of this line in sendFile():
code:
newpath = isValidFileRef( path );
clobbering the entire path... digging into that now.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aressa is offline Old Post 08-23-2003 05:31 AM
aressa

quote:
Originally posted by windracer

Ok... now that I understand the code a bit more I can say exactly why this happens, and it is the bug I am trying to squash:

The first hit from the TiVo against an unknown server is a basic "are you there?" query... no commands... nothing, really. byRequest does not know how to handle this first hit (under at least the conditions that my system configuration creates, which I can't currently define). BUT, once you have hit a known server, TiVo starts to communicate with Container Requests which byRequest can handle just fine all the time.

So here is what is happening: you are starting up tivoserver.pl which knows how to handle that first tivo request. TiVo then goes into a "I know you" mode with your server. You shut down tivoserver.pl and start up byRequest and everything works fine.

This "first request" bug is what is causing me the most trouble, and I am bound and determined to quash it!!

edit to add:
code:
/* * AJR: Why is this here? To kill the HTTP1.1, of course! */ if(*cmdstart == '?') { for( cp = cmdstart; *cp; cp++ ); // Do Nothing. (Scan to end of cmdstart) while( cp > cmdstart && *cp != ' ' ) cp--; if( *cp == ' ' ) *cp = '\0'; } /**/
This code is there to kill the "HTTP1.1" off the end of web requests from a standard browser... Added a check to bypass when the request is from the TiVo, so now my TiVo beacons don't get cut off because of the spaces in my TiVo name.

Last edited by aressa on 08-23-2003 at 05:35 AM

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged