TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Any AAC support update? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ccoulson is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccoulson Find more posts by ccoulson Add ccoulson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccoulson

Any AAC support update?

Has anybody heard anything lately about TiVo adding support for AAC files from iTunes?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SalesMonkey is offline Old Post 08-17-2003 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SalesMonkey Find more posts by SalesMonkey Add SalesMonkey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SalesMonkey

I'm still waiting for this too. I bought an iPod instead of opting for a CD changer in our new car. I ripped our entire CD collection using AAC. Untill HMO supports AAC, I cannot use the music option (but I would really like to). At least the download page for the Tivo Desktop software says "Does not currently support AAC audio files" and not "cannot" or "will not".

Hopeful ...

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SalesMonkey is offline Old Post 08-17-2003 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SalesMonkey Find more posts by SalesMonkey Add SalesMonkey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SalesMonkey

You probably already saw this, but the Tivo knowledgebase states, "We are working on supporting the AAC music format, but do not have a current definitive timeline of when it will be available for our TiVo Series2 subscribers."

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

see the ipod

It would be nice if the TivoDesktop would see that an iPod is connected and allow it's contents to be streamed also. Would be really nice to see:

Music on Kyle's Desktop
Music on Kyle's iPod
Photos on Kyle's Desktop
Photos on Kyle's iPod

On the Tivo's Menu.

Seeing that the iPod has an iTunes index file, it should be really easy for them to add at minimum that level of flexablility.

KC

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 09:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

Right but any music that is on your iPod should also be on your desktop....unless you are doing something....shady?

AirPort Express

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dtebbe is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 09:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dtebbe Find more posts by dtebbe Add dtebbe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dtebbe

no

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 08-18-2003 09:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

quote:
Originally posted by iDriveX
Right but any music that is on your iPod should also be on your desktop....unless you are doing something....shady?

Actually, Shirlock, I OWN (as in bought and paid for, fileswapping files are mostly crappy quality for me and just not worth my time) a very large collection of music, that I don't keep in iTunes all the time. I swap it in and out so i don't waste HD space from the PowerBook. (Much like haveing a CD changer in a car seeing that the Powerbook which is my only machine only has a 60 gig HD) But my 20 GIG iPod stores a good portion of all my music. The rest lives on a Firewire drive.

It would be nice, if i had my music on the ipod, if i could just plug that into the PowerBook and have it show up as it's own little listing on the tivo.

I didn't suggest allowing the Firewire drive full of music to show up, because... well.. it doesn't have an iTunes index file.

Really what we need is a Apple SDK like the Windows and Linux ones that are available from Tivo. I'd gladly write a Weather plugin, transcoder, and other things to make this all work... if.... well.. Tivo would be so kind as to open the code or a subset of API's (like the windows server) to let us have some fun.

Cheers,
KC

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptnrandy is offline Old Post 08-19-2003 07:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptnrandy Find more posts by cptnrandy Add cptnrandy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptnrandy

Yes, I'd really like AAC support as well. I've been buying movie soundtrack music that I'd love to play through the HMO.

I'd also add my voice, again, to slides shows and music at the same time, please!

Randy

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Captain Backfire is offline Old Post 08-26-2003 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Captain Backfire Find more posts by Captain Backfire Add Captain Backfire to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captain Backfire

I got a Series 2 TiVo yesterday with the HMO and connected it to my Airport network without a hitch (other than having to wait for the system to download 4.0).

The Home Media Option is pretty cool, but it desperately needs to support it AAC format. All the CDs I have ripped since iTunes 4.0 came out are in AAC format of course, but at least music encoded prior to that is in MP3 format which I can play on my TiVo. I should really be able to either play purchased AAC files on the TiVo without authorization, as I can on my iPod (you can play protected AAC files on any and all iPods), or else set up the TiVo to play those files using one of the 3 authorizations you get when you buy music.

Without the ability to play AAC files, and without the ability to play the purchased AAC files from the iTunes store, the coolness of the HMO decreases all the time as I continue to amass more and more AAC formatted music.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 08-28-2003 11:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

quote:
Originally posted by KermitTheFrog
Actually, Shirlock, I OWN (as in bought and paid for, fileswapping files are mostly crappy quality for me and just not worth my time) a very large collection of music, that I don't keep in iTunes all the time. I swap it in and out so i don't waste HD space from the PowerBook. (Much like haveing a CD changer in a car seeing that the Powerbook which is my only machine only has a 60 gig HD) But my 20 GIG iPod stores a good portion of all my music. The rest lives on a Firewire drive.

It would be nice, if i had my music on the ipod, if i could just plug that into the PowerBook and have it show up as it's own little listing on the tivo.

I didn't suggest allowing the Firewire drive full of music to show up, because... well.. it doesn't have an iTunes index file.

Really what we need is a Apple SDK like the Windows and Linux ones that are available from Tivo. I'd gladly write a Weather plugin, transcoder, and other things to make this all work... if.... well.. Tivo would be so kind as to open the code or a subset of API's (like the windows server) to let us have some fun.

Cheers,
KC

Easy boy....I was just messing....

AirPort Express

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 08-28-2003 07:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

quote:

Er... the APIs that TiVo has released are not platform specific. The protocol used to talk between the TiVo and the server is extremely primative.

The code is open. Go for it. You'll have to replace the entire HMO server most likely, but you have the Linux efforts to start from if you wish. If you want it to integrate back into iTunes you'll have to figure out that API yourself and plug it back in. Ditto for AAC conversion or anything else.

I dunno where you got the idea that the "API" was platform specific.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 08-28-2003 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Zathrus
I dunno where you got the idea that the "API" was platform specific.

Probably from the Windows-only TiVo Desktop Plug-in SDK, which lets you handle only the format conversion parts and pieces without having to code the server and beacon functionality, too.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shorton is offline Old Post 08-31-2003 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shorton Find more posts by shorton Add shorton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shorton

Want ACC too, ASAP!

I too desperately desire that TiVo supprt ACC files. I am not a programmer, but it doesn't seem to me that adding support for an open standard should be too difficult. However, who am I to know...

Regardless, is there a way to aggresivly lobby, push, taunt, cajol, or otherwise get TiVo to do this, NOW? I can't ever seem to get any kind of a response from them regarding cutomer support issues.

TIA

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptnrandy is offline Old Post 08-31-2003 05:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptnrandy Find more posts by cptnrandy Add cptnrandy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptnrandy

It's more than a SDK or API - Apple and TiVo have to work together - it's a matter of Apple providing access from iTunes to "authorized" devices, like TiVo, for playing the ACC incoded tunes from the Apple Music Store (not ones you've incoded yourself, that's a different matter and could be a matter of standards based interface).

The method that may work: we bug TiVo, and TiVo goes to Apple - bugging Apple won't do much good.

Randy

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkeyport is offline Old Post 08-31-2003 06:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkeyport Find more posts by bkeyport Add bkeyport to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkeyport

Well, Bugging Apple to release a programming API to directly interface with their iTunes streaming server bit might help.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptnrandy is offline Old Post 08-31-2003 09:34 PM
cptnrandy

quote:
Originally posted by bkeyport
Well, Bugging Apple to release a programming API to directly interface with their iTunes streaming server bit might help.

They've already shut that off - too much abuse in the first edition of iTunes with the Music Store - so that's not likely to happen.

Randy

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 03:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by cptnrandy
It's more than a SDK or API - Apple and TiVo have to work together - it's a matter of Apple providing access from iTunes to "authorized" devices, like TiVo, for playing the ACC incoded tunes from the Apple Music Store (not ones you've incoded yourself, that's a different matter and could be a matter of standards based interface).

The method that may work: we bug TiVo, and TiVo goes to Apple - bugging Apple won't do much good.

Randy

If the TiVo server converts to MP3 on-the-fly (like the J. River Media server does on the PC) no cooperation from Apple is required -- any QuickTime application on the machine can decompress the AAC (the whole machine gets 'authorized' by the iTunes Music Store.)

It's only if the TiVo is the thing decompressing the AAC that Apple would have to get involved.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkeyport is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkeyport Find more posts by bkeyport Add bkeyport to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkeyport

quote:
Originally posted by cptnrandy
They've already shut that off - too much abuse in the first edition of iTunes with the Music Store - so that's not likely to happen.

that's not the case. they just limited it to the local subnet.

It's still a very viable option for mac-mac sharing, why not mac-tivo sharing?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Getzen is offline Old Post 09-09-2003 12:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Getzen Find more posts by Getzen Add Getzen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Getzen

Hi, I am new to this forum, and I thought I would bump this topic up the list since I am contemplating purchasing the HMO to use in conjunction with my new Apple G5.

The cutoff for the reduced pricing is September 15, but it will be hard for me to justify buying the HMO unless it will handle the AAC format (and iTunes authorization) relatively soon (say, in the next 3-4 months).

I am hoping that someone might have heard something, anything, *recently* that will give me some confidence that yes, in fact, AAC support is coming. The only comments from a Tivo spokesman that I can find seem to be from March or so.

Thanks for any insight.

Jim

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwedding is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwedding Visit jwedding's homepage! Find more posts by jwedding Add jwedding to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwedding
Support AAC Now!

Just wanted to add my voice to the clamor for AAC support. I won't buy HMO without it!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged