TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> What router and adapter to get? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jweisler is offline Old Post 08-07-2003 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jweisler Find more posts by jweisler Add jweisler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jweisler

What router and adapter to get?

I only have one PC but I want Home Media Option. I plan on using the J River Media software for it.

I am knowledgable about computer stuff, but not techie. My question is, what wireless networking equip should I get to best set up my system? What works best with the Tivo? What is fairly easy to set up, including making sure my network is private/secure and other wifi users can't get on it?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Titleist is offline Old Post 08-08-2003 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Titleist Find more posts by Titleist Add Titleist to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Titleist

I had /am having very good luck with this setup.

Linksys BEFW11S4
Wirless router w/4 port switch and this

usb200m

I was using the 200m, now I'm using the WUSB12

Last edited by Titleist on 08-08-2003 at 01:35 AM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rbumpus is offline Old Post 08-08-2003 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rbumpus Find more posts by rbumpus Add rbumpus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbumpus

Thumbs down

That is the only wireless router they say is tested and approved. I am very upset that they have a list of accepted adapters for Tivo but not for the routers. No where does it say the Tivo cannot be used in a mixed b and g environment, but that is fact. The adaptor can work with a mixed router, but TiVo won't. Now in order to make this work i have to dumb down my network by returning the Linksys WRT54g and replace it with the one recommended above. now my other computers will be slower on the network. TiVo should have warned people.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 08-08-2003 03:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Just about any wireless access point/router will work. TiVo lists the adapters because they connect directly to the TiVo and they need to have added the drivers for them. The wireless access point/router just needs to speak in the right protocol, which for now is 802.11b

As far as "warning people", 802.11g only recently became a standard and TiVoBill has said in the forums here that they will be adding support for 802.11g adapters shortly.

How could TiVo reliably implement a solution for 802.11g in version 4.0 of their software that would work with the different vendors of 802.11g adapters when the standard for 802.11g had not been worked out yet?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

Last edited by bedelman on 08-08-2003 at 03:07 AM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rbumpus is offline Old Post 08-08-2003 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rbumpus Find more posts by rbumpus Add rbumpus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbumpus

g

Yes but they could have stated this more clearly. G sales have outnumbered B sales for some time now.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

c3po33 is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 09:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for c3po33 Find more posts by c3po33 Add c3po33 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c3po33

Titleist

Today I ordered the Linksys BEFW11S4 & the
Wirless router w/4 port switch and the WUSB12 as you stated above.

When I received them early next week what do I have to do? Is it just to connect my network cable coming out of my DSL modem to the Router & then another cable from the router to my computer? After this connect the WUSB12 wireless adapter into the USB connection of my TIVO?

Is this right? If it is, are there any setting I need to do (on the computer end) to set up a network or will my TIVO read my computer (network) just like that. As you see I do not have a network at home right now. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fernando

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 11:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman

As far as "warning people", 802.11g only recently became a standard and TiVoBill has said in the forums here that they will be adding support for 802.11g adapters shortly.

We will not be adding support for 802.11g USB wireless network adapters in the near future (not sure there are any USB ones even on the market yet). I was referring to support for 802.11G routers (so that they can be used in dual 802.11B/802.11G mode).

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
We will not be adding support for 802.11g USB wireless network adapters in the near future (not sure there are any USB ones even on the market yet). I was referring to support for 802.11G routers (so that they can be used in dual 802.11B/802.11G mode).

Oops! I think a need a towel to wipe the egg off of my face.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alan278 is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for alan278 Find more posts by alan278 Add alan278 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alan278

Clarity on TiVo and 802.11b/g

Not exactly clear on this. I'm sure I could do further research but looks like some folks have examined this issue in depth - I appreciate your support..

I will be setting up a home network with 802.11g Linksys equipment. What do I need to do to link the TiVo into this?

Do I need to NOT use the LInksys 802.11g router?
Do I need to "downgrade" it by setting it in "802.11b mode"? If so, will I be able to upgrade it to "dual mode" once TiVo can support that?
(I don't have the router yet so i do not know it's options, or if it can even run in a "dual mode" supporting both "b" and "g" connections at the same time)

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CliffH is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CliffH Find more posts by CliffH Add CliffH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CliffH

I just set up a system this week. This is what I used:

Linksys WRT54G wireless router and WUSB12 adapter. To avoid problems with mixed-mode operation described by other posters, be sure to update the router's firmware. The current version is 1.30.7. I did NOT need to downgrade to 802.11b mode. When I first connected the WUSB12 adapter, the Tivo said it needed to update its firmware, and then took care of this automatically.

The Tivo states that my signal strength is only 30% (marginal). However, I've had no problem with streaming music performance.

In response to the OP's security question, these are the generally recommended procedures. All of these are done through the router's configuration screens.

1. Change the router's default administrator password and disable remote management.

2. Disable SSID broadcast and change the router's factory default SSID to something else.

3. Enable MAC address filtering

4. Enable encryption, and use a 128-bit key. Note that latest router firmware uses WPA encryption as default, but the WUSB12 does not support this. Use WEP instead.

Hope this helps. Cliff

Last edited by CliffH on 08-09-2003 at 08:25 PM

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 08-09-2003 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
Oops! I think a need a towel to wipe the egg off of my face.

Sorry for the confusion.

Not at all. I just wanted to clarify before the rumors started!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aktivoguy is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 12:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aktivoguy Find more posts by aktivoguy Add aktivoguy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aktivoguy

The LINKSYS BEFW11S4 Routet/Gateway works great!

However stay away from the LINKSYS WUSB11 Adapter for the Tivo HMO application.

Just read some of the threads and you'll see why. Not to mention "My personal experience"

Just some friendly advice.

Jim

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

circeus is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for circeus Find more posts by circeus Add circeus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
circeus

Cliff your 30% may be the result of being in G mode. You might be close enough that your getting a decent signal, but the interference is killing the signal quality. In the last week I've been reading a lot on B and G and it is very possible for this sort of thing to happen.

Most people usually end up having such poor signal quality that they can see the SSID on their TiVo, but can't get an IP from their WAP and/or can't manage to sit through the network test on the TiVo box.

So in short you may want to drop into B-only mode on your WAP just to see if you get better signal strength.

Or not

Oh and not broadcasting your SSID from your WAP is not considered a positive security measure at all.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CliffH is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CliffH Find more posts by CliffH Add CliffH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CliffH

quote:
So in short you may want to drop into B-only mode on your WAP just to see if you get better signal strength.

I gave it a try, but reported signal strength actually dropped to 4 percent and I could not connect at all. Signal strength returned to around 30% immediately upon switching back to mixed mode.

quote:
Oh and not broadcasting your SSID from your WAP is not considered a positive security measure at all.

As I understand it, disabling broadcast forces a prospective intruder to use a sniffer to find the wireless network, which requires a higher level of sophistication then simply reporting a broadcast SSID. Why do you say it's not a positive security measure at all?

Cliff

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 05:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: What router and adapter to get?

quote:
Originally posted by jweisler
I only have one PC but I want Home Media Option. I plan on using the J River Media software for it.

I am knowledgable about computer stuff, but not techie. My question is, what wireless networking equip should I get to best set up my system? What works best with the Tivo? What is fairly easy to set up, including making sure my network is private/secure and other wifi users can't get on it?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Just as a point of reference I am running my HMO with a Microsoft wireless router and a Linksys WUSB11 wireless adapter, Everything is running like clockwork. I chose the Microsoft router since it is the only one available at the time that seems to have a fully functional implementation of uPnP.

Jeff

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leggettb is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 08:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leggettb Find more posts by Leggettb Add Leggettb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leggettb

<<Now in order to make this work i have to dumb down my network by returning the Linksys WRT54g>>

I have this router and it works fine. For your setup all you need to do is get the newest firmware and put your router in Wireless B mode only. Then you will not have a problem.

The only problem with mixed mode is that the Tivo driver can't filter out the G signal, so it adds noise. This is suppose to be fixed soon on Tivos side. Since they are probably just using Linux driver source, this is probably a liunux bug that will be fixed soon.

So run B only for now and you'll be able to turn G on, via the router, soon.

Bruce

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alan278 is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 08:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alan278 Find more posts by alan278 Add alan278 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alan278

quote:
Originally posted by Leggettb
<<Now in order to make this work i have to dumb down my network by returning the Linksys WRT54g>>

The only problem with mixed mode is that the Tivo driver can't filter out the G signal, so it adds noise.

Bruce

How bad is the noise?
i.e.
If I do not use the home media option, but only use the (wireless) network connection to pull down the schedule (and any software upgrades), will the "noise" be a non-issue?

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leggettb is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 09:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Leggettb Find more posts by Leggettb Add Leggettb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leggettb

Service updates and HMO use the same network, so it affects both. I have no eta on the fix, but Tivo is aware and working on it.

Some have said that if the Tivo is close to the WAP, they still get enough signal to move data. If that is the case you should be able to do service updates or even HMO. If not, all you have to do is use B only (newest firmware) until Tivo gets the new driver out.

It's hard to go by the numbers. Link Quality = how many packets are being dropped because of interference. Even a low number of 20-30% is enough to work. 802.11b has a theoretical max speed of 11Mbps. The lower your Link Quality the lower your throughput goes from data having to be retransmited. That's overhead. So the best thing is to just try it. It's going to work one way or another.

Bruce

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

circeus is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 09:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for circeus Find more posts by circeus Add circeus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
circeus

Cliff I just meant pretty much what you said -- that disabling the broadcast doesn't mean people can't still find your SSID. It just means they have to try a little bit harder to find it. Turning on WEP (while also not the most secure thing) is way better than turning off the SSID broadcast in terms of protection. Best measure is MAC address filtering, but even that could be broken by a clever enough person.

In short like your Cell Phone or your cordless phone, wireless isn't really all that secure. It can try to be, but ultimately it isn't.

And its hard for me to tell on the signal strength thing as I have a signal booster piggybacked to my WRT54G. Just understand that TiVo isn't going to support you being in g-mode if you ever have problems.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Leggettb is offline Old Post 08-10-2003 09:10 AM
Leggettb

Cell technology is much more secure then the 802.11x standards. WEP can be broken very easily, which is why new security standards have surfaced. When my office looked into wireless my team was able to break into WEP within 5 minutes. It took longer to find the howto on the web, then to actually do it.

I personally use no WEP, and just use mac address tables. Plus I scan for wireless signals here. Currently there isn't no one in my area that has the hardware to even try and hack me.

Bruce

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged