TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.0 Alpha released <<<

Pages (7): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
javahmo is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 08:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO 1.0 Alpha 5 released

The following improvements have been implemented:
1. Fixed a playlist bug.
2. Made various architectural improvements.
3. Added configurable parameter to specify local network address.
4. Fixed a bug in current weather.
5. Images now shows a date.

Enjoy!

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 10:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

Ok, first tried alpha 5 on my Windows 2000 PC.

- weather is working great now; get the local radar image and the "current" image (pretty neat how that is generated, nice touch)

- still having wierd issues with Music listings; the list is now sorted, but only partially loads, and I can still scroll down into empty slots. sometimes the folder names will appear, sometimes they won't

Once I had it working on Windows, I transferred it to Linux. Installed the 1.4.2 JRE and JAI packages from Sun's website. Re-configured configure.xml to account for path structure, and fired it up.

I can't get it to start. It keeps failing on the X11 DISPLAY. I saw kcantrel had to set the variable before JavaHMO would start, so I tried setting it to localhost:0.0 with no luck:

INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/08/29 00:02:29 | Error in WrapperListener.start callback. java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/08/29 00:02:29 | java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
(and then a bunch of java errors)

I tried with the IP address as well. Note that I'm not running X on this Linux box ... it's a headless system sitting in the closet, so it just runs the console, no monitor or anything. Is X11 required for this to work?

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 10:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

Very interesting. I think the code to get the desktop screendump needs X11. Try and comment that out of the configuration file. Java might also need it for other things.

Please send me your logs so I can track that mischievous listing bug!

Thanks

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 10:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

quote:
I think the code to get the desktop screendump needs X11. Try and comment that out of the configuration file. Java might also need it for other things.

Linux: Tried commenting out that section of configure.xml, but it still failed trying to attach to the X11 server. Ah well.

Windows: as for the directory listing "bug," I guess it was just impatience. If you scroll down too fast, you'll see the blank entries, but eventually they will be populated correctly. It's working.

Must sleep now ... more play tomorrow.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

artbatista is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 10:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for artbatista Find more posts by artbatista Add artbatista to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
artbatista

Better here, worst there, here it goes:

1.- The Internet Radio playlist function now works, but sometimes there are empty lines in the listing.

2.- The Weather function works great, but the second screen, the one with the current conditions does not display properly in the thumbnail screen as the Radar picture does. Basically all I get is the top left corner of the picture in the Tivo thumbscreen.

3.- The music Playlists still do not work for me. I tried placing the playlist in the same directory the MP3 files are at, still no go. It plays the MP3 files ok by themselves. Also, as I understand in the instructions it says that the playlists must be in the same directory as the MP3 files?, if so I must ask that you see about making the app read the directory from the M3U file. After all, what's the point of having playlists if the must reside in the same directory as the music files?

4.- The Internet Image function that worked in A4 now is broke. I have verified that the pictures are live, but where I could see them with A4, A5 gives an error. The view from local source still works fine.

Please don't shoot me, I am just the bearer

Art Batista
artbatista@artbatista.com

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 08-29-2003 07:24 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

Yep, I can confirm empty lines appear sometimes on the playlists.

I dont resize the current weather image yet, will soon.

My internet images seem to work fine. Could you try and view it on Tivo and then send me your logs at that point in time.

Regarding the m3u playlists: I have been using it only to play online streaming stations with http addresses; I suspect you are using it to organize your mp3 files on you local hard drive. I completely forgot to document the fact that at the moment I only support http addresses in the m3u files. I will have to think about allowing local playlists (which you wouldnt have to put in the same directories as the mp3 files)

Thanks for the valuable feedback. Looks like I'll be debugging this weekend

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:04 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO 1.0 Alpha 6 released

The following improvements have been implemented:
1. Internet image dates now reflect the time they were downloaded.
2. Implemented a better mechanism for downloading internet content more efficiently.
3. Internet images can now be configured individually with reload values.
4. Fixed current weather thumbnail view.
5. Fixed sorting bug which made some lists appear to have empty entries.
6. Now support m3u and pls playlists with files from your local drives.
7. A Shoutcast module has been added to provide access to online listings of streaming radio stations.
8. A cinema module has been added to view theatre listings in your area.
9. A TicTacToe game module has been added (see Readme.txt for instructions)

I will be on vacation this week, but please keep those bug reports and suggestions coming.

Thanks

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkroboth is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkroboth Find more posts by dkroboth Add dkroboth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkroboth

Very Cool

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 09-02-2003 05:27 AM
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

quote:
I will be on vacation this week, but please keep those bug reports and suggestions coming.

I still can't run JavaHMO on Linux as it's looking for the X11 server and I do not have this running. Is this going to be a requirement?

Works fine on Windows. Current weather thumbnail is correct, the movie option is neat, too.

Thanks!

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 09-03-2003 06:30 AM
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

Wait, I take back that previous post ...

... even though the X11 error shows up in my wrapper.log, I CAN see JavaHMO via the TiVo.

However, none of the Internet-based functionality seems to work (weather, movies, etc.). I'm out of town again, but when I get back home, I'll do some more research on this. The Linux box is connected to the internet, but my router might be filtering the return traffic JavaHMO uses to grab weather information and such.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

manielse is offline Old Post 09-04-2003 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for manielse Visit manielse's homepage! Find more posts by manielse Add manielse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
manielse

Has anyone had any success getting this to run on a Win98 OS?

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 09-04-2003 08:25 AM
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

I haven't tried, but I assume it would work fine since it's in Java. Do you have the latest runtime and the JAI?

What kind of problems are you having, or was this just a general question?

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timdthomas is offline Old Post 09-05-2003 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timdthomas Find more posts by timdthomas Add timdthomas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timdthomas
TiVo Addict

I haven't gotten it to work yet in XP. When I try to connect from my TiVo, I get the "No servers were found at ..." message on my TiVo, and the log prints out:

2003-09-04 20:27:23,140 INFO [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - New connection accepted /192.168.1.101:2662
2003-09-04 20:27:23,781 DEBUG [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - wtivoconnect=1
2003-09-04 20:27:23,781 DEBUG [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - swversion=4.0.1-01-2-140
2003-09-04 20:27:23,781 DEBUG [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - method=connected
2003-09-04 20:27:23,781 DEBUG [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - identity=1400000801E33A8
2003-09-04 20:27:23,781 DEBUG [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - machine=Habanero
2003-09-04 20:27:23,781 DEBUG [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - platform=tcd/Series2
2003-09-04 20:27:28,625 INFO [ConnectionThread] ConnectionThread - Connection closed by client

It appears it's trying to make a connection, but it's getting closed.

Also, I had to comment out the images directory, since it was trying to thumbnail all my pictures (and taking a VERY long time to do so) and I have close to 2000 pictures.

Not sure what it would do with my music ... I have almost 5000 mp3s.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 09-05-2003 09:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

I'm having problems viewing certain .GIF files fullscreen (thumbnail displays fine). I can't really see a patern besides the fact that all the .GIF files that can't be displayed have a image size of less than 350x350. But not all small .gif files have the problem. These files display fine with TiVo's desktop server software.

In addition, animated gifs will not display fullscreen either (I don't expect them to animate, but they should display the first frame like they do with TiVo's HMO desktop).

All other image formats seem to work fine.

On attempting to view the problem .gif files fullscreen I'd get a picture of a little tree with a crack through it. I checked the logs and I see that TiVo is requesting images with the following arguments:

"Width=88&Height=60&PixelShape=10:11" - thumbnail directory
"Width=176&Height=120&PixelShape=10:11" - image info screen
"Width=634&Height=432&PixelShape=10:11" - full screen

The first 2 view fine, but the last one causes problem so I copied and pasted the URL into a browser to see what I could see.

With the following URL I can see the .gif in Internet Explorer:

http://myip:8081//TiVoConnect%2FImages%2F/filename.gif?Width=176&Height=120&PixelShape=10:11&Format=image/jpeg HTTP/1.0

With the following URL I get the red X that is trademark in IE of an image that isn't found.

http://myip:8081//TiVoConnect%2FImages%2F/filename.gif?Width=634&Height=432&PixelShape=10:11&Format=image/jpeg HTTP/1.0

I did some more playing and determined that any attempt to display these smaller .gif file images with a width parameter over 176 will give the red X. Apparently JavaHMO is not returning an image (or an invalid image) for these .gif files.

I can't figure out why the images aren't being displayed though.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 09-05-2003 10:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

First off just a note: Never change the config file and restart the server without exiting out of the HMO menu on the Tivo. Mine TiVo just rebooted because I did that.

Also the class files in the source code download are older than than binary only download.

Any way, I Just checked out the rest of it and everything works very well with some exceptions.

1. Choosing Shoutcast and then choosing "Top 25 Streams" reported that there was no playable music in the folder even though the log listed 19 servers as available. It returns 0 items to the TiVo according to the log. I determined that this was because the shoutcast.cache file in the ./conf directory isn't being created.

It has been created once, but I deleted it to reset the cache. After that no matter what I do the file won't be recreated. I "undeleted" the file and Shoutcast streaming worked for those streams in the file, but the file is never updated.

I tried wiping out the whole directory and unzipping from scratch and still nothing. I have no idea why this file isn't being created any more.

edit After tracing through the source I believe its because I went over my max downloads per 24 hours period. I don't believe I ran JavaHmo 30 times (to get 600 downloads) more like 5 times before I noticed this, but I got that "Too many requests. Try again tomorrow." message regardless. So hopefully in 24 hours the cache will work again.

2. Playing music requires not using the "play" button as it screws things up.
When I fast forwarded and the hit play, the display jumped a few more seconds ahead and just sat there. When I hit the ff button again it started playing. I found that using the pause button to start and stop the music worked well, but normally the play button should work as well. I don't know why this is as there was nothing in the log file for this.

Last edited by morac on 09-05-2003 at 12:53 PM

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-07-2003 09:41 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

I'm back from vacation. Here are some responses to postings this past week:

manielse: Win98 should work. However, it helps to have a relatively new processor; the JAI imaging library has performance optimizations for Intel processors with MMX technology. I am also hoping to support many more OS's in the future with the neccessary scripts.

timdthomas: At the moment JavaHMO does not support manual connections from the TiVo box. However, JavaHMO should appear automatically on your TiVo since the beacon protocol is supported. Send me your logs.

The thumbnail thread is a bit brute-force at the moment; I hope to make it more intelligent and less intrusive in the future. However, it is a background task and everything else should work fine. The thumbnail thread is neccessary since it significantly improves the performance; there is no equivalent thread for the mp3 files since extracting the audio info is a very quick operation.

morac: Please send me copies of the images that you are having problems with so I can do some debugging. I will also add your note about configuration changes to the JavaHMO readme file. If you make significant changes to the JavaHMO configuration and the TiVo is in a mode with the previous settings, TiVo will get very confused and might reboot. So it is always a good idea to get out of the HMO menus when you make these kinds of changes.

You can very easily run into the Shoutcast "Too many requests. Try again tomorrow." error; Shoutcast totals all of the requests from everybody at your ISP within the same subnet IP address range! So if you are unlucky and there are many people in your area that use Shoutcast, you will get this message very quickly. (I think I will add something in the logs if JavaHMO detects this situation)

There is a known bug about play forwarding audio files. Its still on my lists of things to do, but not a very high priority.

I am getting to a point where I want to lock down the features and fix the high priority bugs. The last features I want to add before the first full release is a GUI and installation wizard to make JavaHMO more consumer friendly.

Those of you who sent me emails, I will try and respond today.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

samkuhn is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for samkuhn Find more posts by samkuhn Add samkuhn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
samkuhn

Thanks for all your work on this software JavaHMO. I have been (mostly) successfully using it on my system. It occasionally crashes, perhaps because of the overload of files (1000s of jpgs and mp3s), but I'm not concerned. I'm sure overtime it will get better.

Are you also following up with input on the sourforge site? I added a bug or two and a few feature requests there.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 05:09 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

Yes, I am looking at the bugs and feature requests that are being filed on javahmo.sourceforge.net
This is probably the best way to get on the list of prioritized features for future versions.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RODzilla is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 07:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RODzilla Find more posts by RODzilla Add RODzilla to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RODzilla

do i need to uninstall the tivo server before installing javaHMO or can they coexist?

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 11:22 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

You dont need to uninstall the TiVo server software, but you need to stop the service. The JavaHMO readme.txt file describes how this can be done.
HMO requires a certain port to be used on the server side and since access to this port cannot be shared, only either the TiVo server or JavaHMO can run at a time.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged