TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Shame on Tivo for not figuring out the wireless USB issue <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-25-2003 09:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for boston1228 Find more posts by boston1228 Add boston1228 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boston1228

Shame on Tivo for not figuring out the wireless USB issue

I've had Tivo for a year now, and recently purchased the home media option. I also set up a wireless network in my home, and went out and purchased a WUSB11 Linksys wireless USB adapter. Like many of the posts here, I too plugged it into the Tivo only to find that itwouldn't work (yes, both lights indicating power and a link were on).

I too called tech support - WHICH IS NOT EVEN A TOLL FREE NUMBER - and they acted like this issue was all new to them. I suggested to the tech support person that since the firmware that this WUSB11 is running is 2.8 versus the 2.6 version Tivo recommonds, that perhaps they're experiencing compatibility issues. Naturally, the tech support person suggests I buy to 2.6 version from Tivo, and that should solve the problem. This is about the stupidest advice i've ever heard.

Linksys isn't going to sell anymore of these 2.6 versions. Should I call around the Best Buys or Circuit Cities in the Boston area and ask them if they have the 2.6's lying around? I don't think so.

2.8 should just work - that's the bottom line. This situation is a prime example sloppy development - that's all there is to this. No excuses. I don't care how hard it is to work all this out from Tivo's side. The onus is on them to figure it out if they are going to bring a service like this to market. No one said software development is easy.

Gets better. Naturally I went out and bought the Belkin USB adapter that my third call to tech support suggested I get. By this time, I had them admitting that 2.8 doesnt' work, and that they know this now. So i get the recommended Belkin, and guess what? Doesnt' work either.

This time I call support to tell them I want my money back. Ayt this point, the tech support person gets snippy and rude because I think her suggestion that I go out and try ANOTHER manufacturers USB is downright offensive. She's also offended that I tell her that Tivo didn't think this product through very well becuase if they had, they'd have a patch out to the boxes that solves this problem. I guess my suggestion that beloved Tivo might have made a mistake was a little too much for her.

When I get transferred to the person who is supposed to give me my money back, I'm told that this will take "7 to 10 days." When I ask this person- who was speaking in a rather high handed tone- if they are seeing a lot of this scenario, I get this terse response:

"Lots of people call us every day for lots of different issues, sir. This problem you're referring to is not an epidemic."

Unbelievable. Take a look at these message boards -- a lot of people are having the same issue.

Tivo needs to think long and hard about how it's handled this products release. People love Tivo, but all it takes is a few bad experiences to undo a lot of the loyalty that's out there.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeffkehler is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeffkehler Find more posts by jeffkehler Add jeffkehler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffkehler

Hi, I am new to Tivo but not new to computers having built several for my home use. I bought a USB 11 from Best Buy two days ago on sale for $45 with a $10 mail in rebate. I got it home and was pleased to see it was Ver 2.6. I have a wired linksys router with a 54g WAP. I simply plugged the USB into the lower port and had to leave to do something else. I returned 15 minutes later and the tivo had detected the wireless device and asked to to set it up. It took me to the exact area in tivo to put in the name and password of my system. I run the 128 bit encription. It worked the first time! It could not have been easier. I didn't have to do the #401 thing or anything else. Maybe I got lucky.

Jeff

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for boston1228 Find more posts by boston1228 Add boston1228 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boston1228

Yes, 2.6 works - this is part of the problem

If you read my post again, you'll see that v2.6 works. This is the problem: Linksys just released 2.8, and no longer makes 2.6. You got lucky in that you bought a 2.6.

Now what about the rest of us that didn't get lucky like this guy did? Where's the patch, Tivo? or is it that you don't want us as customers?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeffkehler is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeffkehler Find more posts by jeffkehler Add jeffkehler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffkehler

Boston 1228,

Relax. Your blood pressue is going to blow an aneurysm in your head. Did you try the belkin you bought on a lap top or desk top in the same location as the tivo. Could it be a signal problem from your WAP or router? There is always replaytv. I need another Tivo box and would be willing to buy yours if it is a series two.

Give Tivo a chance to come up with a solution and continue to use your phone line until then. Life is to short to be yelliing at customer support people who get paid by the hour and don't really give a crap. Write a letter to the CEO or the product development people.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 02:41 AM
boston1228

Uh, yeah - I figured checking the USB out on my PC was a good idea

Of course I checked to see if the BOTH of the devices worked on another PC.

Come on.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeffkehler is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 02:49 AM
jeffkehler

Hey Boston,

I'm just trying to help! I don't know your level of computer knowledge. Nowhere in your post did you mention that you checked signal strength or that you tried the device on a computer.

I have spent alot of time in the computer build forums and I have learned a lot from people that don't assume anything. Your attitude sucks and I won't be replying to anymore of your posts. Others who read may feel the same way. I AM NOT TIVO SO TAKE THE ATTITUDE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 03:09 AM
boston1228

Uh oh...looks like another person who's drunk the Tivo Kool Aid and finds technical bugs interesting versus what they really are: Poor quality work/bad decisions on the part of Tivo.

Listen, I like my Tivo as much as anyone else here, but I don't find the bugs in this product interesting or fun to fix on my own.

If Tivo wants to be a really succesful company they have to understand that the rest of the market for their products don't look and think like the early adopters that have bought thus far. Read "Crossing the Chasm" by Geoff Moore if you don't know what I'm talking about.

If I want interesting bugs to fix I'll go to work and think about the products we haven't released yet.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zhatka is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 01:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zhatka Visit zhatka's homepage! Find more posts by zhatka Add zhatka to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zhatka
Ex-Tivo Junkie

Re: Yes, 2.6 works - this is part of the problem

quote:
Originally posted by boston1228
If you read my post again, you'll see that v2.6 works. This is the problem: Linksys just released 2.8, and no longer makes 2.6. You got lucky in that you bought a 2.6.

Now what about the rest of us that didn't get lucky like this guy did? Where's the patch, Tivo? or is it that you don't want us as customers?

I went to three different stores in the SWWash/Portland OR area and all three ONLY had v2.6 of the WUSB11 . I only had to find which one was cheapest.

If anyone is around this area, WalMart carries these for $46.77 .

Z

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 08:05 PM
boston1228

Good for you. You live in a part of the country where the remaining stock of inventory running 2.6 is still pretty high.

Here's the fact: They came out with a new version. Once the inventory running 2.6 sells out - that's it. No more 2.6.

I'm in the Boston area. It's populous. Lots of college kids. All of them are setting up wi-fi. No more 2.6 left.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smirks is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 08:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smirks Find more posts by Smirks Add Smirks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Well, they're still putting 2.6 devices in 2.8 boxes, so it's still totally up in the air....

that's my $0.02.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 08:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

Would you rather Tivo whip up a driver real quick and deploy it, only to find out that it's buggy as hell, or do you want them to take the time to develop a good, stable driver? v2.8 has only been out for a VERY short time, and the fact is that if Tivo wasn't given enough advance warning of the version change by Linksys, then they haven't had adequate time to write a new driver.

If they were to come out with a buggy driver, I'm positive you'd be the first one back here saying "Shame on you Tivo, for your buggy driver!!"

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 08:28 PM
boston1228

"v2.8 has only been out for a VERY short time, and the fact is that if Tivo wasn't given enough advance warning of the version change by Linksys, then they haven't had adequate time to write a new driver."

Isn't it Tivo's job to see this coming? They have what looks like a pretty tight arrangement with Cisco in terms of offering up the Linksys products as the "recommended" adapter to use. Don't you think that Cisco is getting something out of this recommendation (i.e. it creates incremental demand for their products)?

Therefore, there's likely people at Tivo who manage their corporate relationship with Cisco. Cisco is a big company - probably doesn't have that much time for Tivo - so tivo ends up playing by their rules I imagine.

Don't you think there's people at Tivo that are tasked with managing their relationship with Cisco? Don't you think that part of this persons job is to pay attention to what Cisco's doing and how Cisco's actions might impact Tivo?

I highly doubt that Cisco just sprung this on them, and even if Tivo knew about the 2.8 upgrade in advance and Cisco told them there should be no impact - still the responsibility of Tivo to get their hands on the version in advance and test it.

Company's that have business arrangements like this (Tivo is even acting as a reseller for Cisco for their wireless USB product) talk frequently, and have people in their organizations who's only job is to manage and maintain these inter-company relationships.

So I don't think Tivo didn't know about this, and if they didn't, then either someone didn't do their job or their a very immature company.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Inundated is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Inundated Find more posts by Inundated Add Inundated to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inundated
Not Really Here

IMHO - the original poster is correct. TiVo recommends a specific version of a specific adapter, and that version is apparently falling out of circulation! For that matter, the Netgear MA101, which is listed as a working adapter by TiVo, is also now not available in any of my local stores...period.

IMHO again, TiVo, if it offers the use of wireless networking, should fix its software so it's not so sensitive to a particular version of a particular adapter. But I'm not involved in programming and I don't work for TiVo, so I don't know how hard that is.

I find it interesting that none of the TiVo company folk have chimed in on this...

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 10:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

quote:
Don't you think there's people at Tivo that are tasked with managing their relationship with Cisco? Don't you think that part of this persons job is to pay attention to what Cisco's doing and how Cisco's actions might impact Tivo?

I highly doubt that Cisco just sprung this on them, and even if Tivo knew about the 2.8 upgrade in advance and Cisco told them there should be no impact - still the responsibility of Tivo to get their hands on the version in advance and test it.

Most likely, TiVo found out about it when a customer called. A couple of days ago I met with some product engineers at a company with several hundred times as many employees as TiVo has and I surprised them all by showing them a major issue with a product that I had picked up at Frys. They were completely unaware of it. That surprised me, given an employee base in the 6 figures. It surprises me a lot less when it's a company like TiVo that has an employee base in the 3 figures.

Yes I'm sure Cisco, likes TiVo endorsing their products, but not enough to delay a cost reduction that applies to 100% of sales and not just the 0.05% extra (guessed) that TiVo adds.

Last edited by dgh on 09-26-2003 at 10:50 PM

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh

quote:
Originally posted by Inundated
IMHO again, TiVo, if it offers the use of wireless networking, should fix its software so it's not so sensitive to a particular version of a particular adapter. But I'm not involved in programming and I don't work for TiVo, so I don't know how hard that is.

If you're a Windows user, it's easy to think that hardware "just works" with software. If you use a less common OS such as Linux, BSD Unix, OS/2 etc. then you'll see a very different picture. Because Windows has around 95% of the market, everyone with a brain makes sure to release a working Windows driver with every widget they sell. (Although as I mentioned in the same thread in Coffee House, it took my motherboard vendor several weeks to get a working Windows driver for the new hard disk controller they used. That was pretty aggravating for me.)

For Operating Systems that make up the other 5%, hardware makers usually leave that as an exercise for "somebody else". In the case of something like OS/2, "somebody else" was frequently IBM and for something like Linux, it is typically some Linux user who really really wants that device to work and who knows how to write a driver. This can take somewhere between several weeks and forever, depending on how interested the potential "somebody else" is.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

flong2000 is offline Old Post 09-27-2003 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for flong2000 Find more posts by flong2000 Add flong2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flong2000

Well Said!!

I personally think Boston 1228 has made a very compelling and rational point. I find myself in the same position (purchased Linksys 2.8 adapter from Amazon after being directed there by Tivo.com link) and in my opinion, Boston 1228 is not requesting anything outrageous. Tivo certainly has a marketing agreement in place with Linksys and had to have known about the new adapter version well before the product roll-out. If not, then I am extremely disappointed in Tivo and forced to wonder what other gaps Tivo's product managers are overlooking. The thought is enough to persuade me to cancel HMO within the one month guarantee window.

This is not the type of planning and customer service I expect from a product in which I have invested over $500 after HMO, Lifetime Membership and hardware. I am extremely disappointed and it doesn't seem as if Tivo is responding to the problem in the manner expected. Pls see below link for my posting on another thread and TivoBill's response regarding this issue.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...081#post1402081

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-29-2003 10:04 AM
boston1228

Message for the Tivo Employees who read this board

Looks like we've got two camps: The early adopter types who drunk too much Tivo cool and think that that Tivo's bugs are interesting and fun the fix on their own, and who also think that Tivo should be given some special break because it's a cool company with cool and complex technology that's just trying to get by in a world full of big companies like Cisco.

Then there's the rest of us: The people that are representative of the mass market Tivo has to penetrate in order to make a go of it. These people see software bugs and compatibility issues for what they truly are: Poor quality control and bad decision making on the part of Tivo. I especially like the previous poster's point: THIS IS NOT A CHEAP PRODUCT.

To the Tivo employees who read this board: Your company probably set up this community as a way to get instant feedback about your products and service. You've got a potentially huge issue on your hands with this 2.8 problem, and there are some grumblings in your otherwise loyal customer base. Remember that these grumblings amount to maybe one less new Tivo customer per grumbler. You have your real time feedback about your product, now what are you going to do about it? Ignore it? See how far that gets you when the cable companies come out with free PVRs.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 09-29-2003 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: Message for the Tivo Employees who read this board

quote:

To the Tivo employees who read this board: Your company probably set up this community as a way to get instant feedback about your products and service. You've got a potentially huge issue on your hands with this 2.8 problem, and there are some grumblings in your otherwise loyal customer base. Remember that these grumblings amount to maybe one less new Tivo customer per grumbler. You have your real time feedback about your product, now what are you going to do about it? Ignore it? See how far that gets you when the cable companies come out with free PVRs.

We are certainly not ignoring the issue. As I said before, we are looking at ways that we might be able to support the Linksys USB11 2.8 and other wireless adapters that are coming on to the market. Adding support for new adapters is not an easy thing to do and will take a considerable amount of time and effort. That said, we are actively working to add such support in the future (I've attended several meetings on this subject already.) We are also exploring ways that we might be able to minimize such issues from reoccurring. Lastly, we are taking steps to obtain additional stock of adapters that are compatible with our current software. I realize that it may seem like it is taking a long time, but this issue literally began a couple of weeks ago and we have done our best to respond to it in a timely manner. We appreciate the continued patience of our customers.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boston1228 is offline Old Post 09-29-2003 10:53 PM
boston1228

That's all I needed to hear.

Thanks, it helps to know.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sixpack is offline Old Post 10-03-2003 01:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sixpack Find more posts by Sixpack Add Sixpack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sixpack

Thanks for posting Boston1228. I had nearly the same experience and held the same emotion towards this.

I ended up following the TiVo link to Amazon when ordering my Linksys USB11 and was pretty shocked to first find out they didn't work. Upon calling TiVo Support, what I received was a fairly rude response that blamed me for buying the wrong product.

Out of frustration, I ended up going to Best Buy and CompUSA and found that all they carried were the newer 2.8 products (and became even more frustrated). Finally, I just switched products and I now have one that is compatible.

I talked several times to TiVo support. After the first call, people were far more polite and even arranged for a level of escalation and a return call which was nice.

But what I really wanted to hear and never did hear was :

"We are very sorry for this problem. Many people are experiencing this and we are working hard to solve the problem. If you sit tight for about 30-60 days, the product you bought will likely work as we come out with further patches. While we can't guarantee this result, we are working hard to this end. If you want to get this working faster, you should probably arrange to exchange the product you have and try the USB12 if you can't find the USB 11 2.6. Again, we are sorry for your inconvenience and will work hard to resovle the problem".

Instead, what I got was :

"We understand this is a problem. We really can't comment about a possible solution or timeframe to this problem."

I do wish I would have known about this site earlier as it does help to see the responses of other TiVo owners and it is nice to see that some of the TiVo support team checks in here and respods as well.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged