TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Shame on Tivo for not figuring out the wireless USB issue <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
murraymorris is offline Old Post 10-03-2003 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for murraymorris Find more posts by murraymorris Add murraymorris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murraymorris

I know this doesn't help many people who have already purchased the Linksys 2.8 but I just bought a new 2.6 on Ebay. If anyone has access to Ebay, there are still new 2.6's available there. I'm kind of surprised that Tivo doesn't put information about this problem on their website. People who want plug and play and don't know a lot about computer components might be surprised that there are even different versions of the adapters.

Hopefully when I get the 2.6 and my Tivo, they work without problems. I still have to see how to setup the WEP key but if all else fails, I'll connect to my laptop to set the key first.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-03-2003 04:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by murraymorris
I'm kind of surprised that Tivo doesn't put information about this problem on their website.

Actually, there's quite a bit on the official list of supported adapters page at http://www.tivo.com/adapters

Unfortunately for some folks the revisions were too late

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

murraymorris is offline Old Post 10-03-2003 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for murraymorris Find more posts by murraymorris Add murraymorris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murraymorris

I guess I missed that info on the adapters at the Tivo sight. Luckily I found the Tivo Community Forum so I know about the 2.6 vs 2.8 version issue.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jcaesar625 is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jcaesar625 Find more posts by jcaesar625 Add jcaesar625 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcaesar625

When I bought my Tivo at CC, I brought with me the list of wireless usb adapters Tivo recommended on thier website. Unfortunetly CC was pretty whiped out on all thier usb adapters, but they still had some Linksys ones, and they had the Micro$oft one, but I didn't fell like paying a premium price for a sub-par M$ product. The Linksys didn't say what version it was on the box, and I knew deep down in side it was going to be v2.8, because the packaging looked newer than what I was use to, but I grabbed it anyway. Well, I got it home and it turned out to be v2.8. No big deal, I figured I take it back and find one of the other recommend adpaters elsewhere.

I stopped at Staples on the way back to CC, and they had several of the other Tivo recommended adapters, and they were running a 39.99 special on the Belkin. I thought what a great deal $20.00 cheaper than the linksys, and $30 than the M$, therefore I picked one up. After returning the Linksys to CC, I stopped at Wally World to pick up some fishing gear. I was curious, so I thought I swing by the electronics department, and what do you know they had several of the linksys v2.6 sitting on the shelf. I thought about picking up the linksys, since all my other wireless devices where linksys, but I thought nah, I will give the Belkin a try. Got the Belkin home, plugged it in, and the Tivo found it right away, no restart or anything. Then I was suprised at the signal strength. 85%. Which is great, seens how it is sitting behind my entertainment center and going across two rooms and several walls to get to my Wireless AP. I can't get that kind of signal strength on my notebook wireless pc card sitting in the same room as the AP. Therefore I recommend to everyone to get the Belkin.

Since my Tivo installed the HMO on the first dial in. Rightaway I started streaming MP3's and photos, and I was very happy.

I Thank Tivo for providing a list of compatible adapters on their website, because I probably wouldn't have even considered the Belkin if the list wasn't provided. I have been a Tivo owner now for 4 days and have been nothing but pleased.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkeyport is offline Old Post 10-07-2003 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkeyport Find more posts by bkeyport Add bkeyport to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkeyport

The belkin failed here. Not found at all.

Ended up finding a 2.6 linksys

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Realish is offline Old Post 10-09-2003 10:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Realish Visit Realish's homepage! Find more posts by Realish Add Realish to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Realish

Just to add my $.02: I had the same experience. I bought a Linksys 2.8 and it isn't working. I have some sympathy for Tivo about this, but Boston is right--they need to get this type of **** figure out if they want to a) charge $400 for their product, and b) become a real brand name.

And I second what another commenter said: I want a Tivo employee to come on here and say: we're working on it and expect results in ______. If it's going to be months, I'd return my adapter to amazon and find another one. If it's going to be weeks, I can wait.

Which is it?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jcaesar625 is offline Old Post 10-09-2003 07:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jcaesar625 Find more posts by jcaesar625 Add jcaesar625 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcaesar625

Well, if anybody would like a v2.6 I would be more than happy for a nominal fee to go pick it up at Wally World and ship it to them.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged