TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.0 released <<<

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
javahmo is offline Old Post 10-13-2003 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

Cool JavaHMO 1.0 released

This is the first public release of the JavaHMO 1.0, the Java version of the media server for the TiVo Home Media Option.

The list of features in JavaHMO 1.0 go well beyond the features provided by the HMO Publisher software provided by TiVo:
1. View images in the following formats: BMP, GIF, FlashPix, JPEG, PNG, PNM, TIFF, and WBMP.
2. Play MP3 files.
3. View MP3 file tag information.
4. Play MP3 streaming stations on the internet.
5. Automatically download Shoutcast playlists of your favorite streaming stations.
6. Play your MP3 files and streaming stations using both .m3u and .pls playlist formats.
7. View live local weather conditions including current conditions, 5-day forecasts and radar images.
8. View local cinema listings.
9. Automatically download and view any image on the internet.
10. View a real-time image of your PC desktop.
11. Play interactive games such as TicTacToe.
12. Configure the server using a browser.
13. Platform independent.

This is an open source project hosted on Sourceforge.net:
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net

Last edited by javahmo on 10-13-2003 at 01:39 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

memento1234 is offline Old Post 10-13-2003 05:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for memento1234 Find more posts by memento1234 Add memento1234 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
memento1234

Thumbs up Works Great!

I just downloaded it and set it up. Little more to installing it then the average windows program but it is well worth it. I am currently listening to Internet radio. It’s sweet!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WoodyL is offline Old Post 10-15-2003 09:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WoodyL Find more posts by WoodyL Add WoodyL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WoodyL

Unhappy Tivo doesn't show JavaHMO

I've got JavaHMO installed and running, but I can't it to show up on Tivo. When I look at log.txt, I see "ConnectionThread - New connection accepted" appearing, so it looks like the Beacon is getting through.

What do I need to do to make this work? Any suggestions appreciated.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

twn2 is offline Old Post 10-15-2003 11:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for twn2 Find more posts by twn2 Add twn2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
twn2

Linux version anyone?

Tom

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 10-16-2003 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeremy3721 Find more posts by jeremy3721 Add jeremy3721 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremy3721

This sounds great but I'm a little worried.

How long does the Javo HMO take to setup and should I uninstall the version I recieved from TIVO?

If it doesn't work is it easy to uninstall and reinstall the orginal software?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

memento1234 is offline Old Post 10-16-2003 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for memento1234 Find more posts by memento1234 Add memento1234 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
memento1234

You do not have to uninstall Tivo’s server, just disable it so that it does not show in the task bar. You also have to disable the Tivo beacon service. I am running XP. When I installed it and tried to start the JavaHMO service, it would start and then stop because I did not do this. It is covered in the documentation but not the install steps.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WoodyL is offline Old Post 10-16-2003 03:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WoodyL Find more posts by WoodyL Add WoodyL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WoodyL

It's not too hard to install. You don't have to uninstall Tivo Publisher, but it might be easier if you do. If you don't want to uninstall it:

1. Use msconfig to turn off start up of Tivo Publisher

2. Go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services and set Tivo Connect Beacon to "Manual"

3. Reboot

4. Go the SourceForge site linked above and follow the steps to download and install the Java software and the JavaHMO application.

5. Use the instructions on SourceForge to set the parameters for JavaHMO (Mostly, you tell it what you want to publish).

In most cases that will get you up and running. If you want to go back to Tivo Publisher, you can go into Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services and set JavaHMO to "Manual" and then set Tivo Connect Beacon back to "Automatic". Go to msconfig, turn Tivo Publisher back on and reboot.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WoodyL is offline Old Post 10-16-2003 03:21 AM
WoodyL

After some research, I think the reason JavaHMO doesn't show up on my Tivo is because my Tivo is on a different subnet from the desktop PC that runs JavaHMO. Because of this configuration, I need to do Manual Connect from the Tivo, but it looks like JavaHMO doesn't support it yet.

Looks like I'll just have to wait until the developers add a Manual Connect feature.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeremy3721 is offline Old Post 10-16-2003 04:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeremy3721 Find more posts by jeremy3721 Add jeremy3721 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremy3721

I installed JavaHMO today and it works pretty well. I really like the ability to access current weather maps and movie listings.

Is there a timetable for the random play option for music? That is probably the one feature I will miss with HMO.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 10-16-2003 05:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

quote:
Linux version anyone?

I was running one of the beta on Linux. There are even some RPMs floating around. Do a forum search for the Java HMO beta thread and you should be able to find the info you need.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CmputrAce is offline Old Post 10-17-2003 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CmputrAce Find more posts by CmputrAce Add CmputrAce to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CmputrAce

Installed it Wednesday Night, and showed the coolness off to my wife on Thursday. This morning she called me in and Cinema and Weather aren't working. Those pages also error out on the JavaHMO Console. EEEK!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CmputrAce is offline Old Post 10-17-2003 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CmputrAce Find more posts by CmputrAce Add CmputrAce to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CmputrAce

Installed it Wednesday Night, and showed the coolness off to my wife on Thursday. This morning she called me in and Cinema and Weather aren't working. Those pages also error out on the JavaHMO Console. EEEK!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nyjklein is offline Old Post 10-18-2003 07:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nyjklein Visit nyjklein's homepage! Find more posts by nyjklein Add nyjklein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Angry Limit to Directory Size?

I installed this and have it basically working. But I'm having trouble configuring it to access my Music library. It seems to be related to the number of entries in the music directory. When I try to submit the web form with my music folder, this is what appears in log.txt:

2003-10-18 09:38:57,765 INFO [PoolThread-23] Server - Server update
2003-10-18 09:38:58,312 ERROR [PoolThread-23] SubmitServlet - String index out of range: -1

I have 138 directories and a dozen files in my music directory.

P.S. I'm runing JavaHMO on WinXP Pro.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 10-18-2003 10:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

Sorry for not responding to questions this week, I was on vacation.

CmputrAce: Please send me your logs.

nyjklein: I would be nice to see more details in your log. Please enable debugging in you logs using the following instructions: http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
Then send me you logs.
Or you can edit the configuration file manually: C:\Program Files\JavaHMO\conf\configure.xml

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 10-18-2003 10:47 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

The manual connect and random play is on the list of things that will be developed next.

If anybody else is having issues, just email me the zipped copies your configuration file and logs.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pin87a is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 12:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pin87a Find more posts by pin87a Add pin87a to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pin87a

I like this application, but I have a bunch of concerns/issues. (Windows version)

1. The installer spews files everywhere. I ran it on my desktop and it was covered with files. Perhaps it could extract them to a temp directory?
2. The configuration screen only works in Internet Explorer. It loads in Mozilla/Firebird, but it is unusable. It doesn't even display in Opera.
3. ID3 tags were not being read for some reason.
(that could have been a misconfiguration on my part though)
4. The uninstaller doesn't completely remove the application. The javaHMO service remains installed. The file is deleted, but Windows still tries to run it on startup.

I have since deleted the application so I cannot send you any logs.

Anyway, javaHMO is a very nice application and I look forward to eventually replacing the TiVo Desktop software with it...

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jacques is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jacques Find more posts by jacques Add jacques to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacques

I run the windows javahmo configure screen in Opera 7.2 all the time.

On to my thing.... I'm running JavaHMO on a windows98 machine. A couple changes were necessary to make it run. Had to make the DOS environment larger and copy run.cmd to run.bat. That all seems to be working but....

I can't get to the configure screen in any web browser, I go to 127.0.0.1/configure and get page not found.

I've done all my configure by edit the configure.xml file

jacques

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zammer is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zammer Find more posts by zammer Add zammer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zammer

Win98

What is the process to install with win98. How do you check the service? there is no option for Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services

Any help would be great/

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 02:17 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

pin87a: Since the project has a budget of $0, I could only afford open source or free software for the installation wizard. The one I chose was developed by IBM and written in Java. However, the source for the installer is only available at a considerable cost. It is designed to be customized for a particular installation, but does not give you access to all of the code. So unfortunately, I dont have much control over how the installer runs or uninstalls. There are numerous open source projects available to create installation wizards, but none that I could find that is as good as this one. However, I am still looking for a better solution.
Sofar, I have only done testing with IE. Hopefully, I will find more volunteers to test the configuration GUI in other browsers/platforms to make the GUI code more platform independent.

jacques: Please send me the details of exactly what changes you made to get JavaHMO to run under Windows 98. I would like to add this to the JavaHMO documentation. Also send me your logs so I can debug the configuration GUI issue. I am assuming you did use the correct URL with the port specified:
http://localhost:8081/configure

Last edited by javahmo on 10-19-2003 at 03:37 AM

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkeegan is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 06:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkeegan Find more posts by pkeegan Add pkeegan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkeegan

>Install the Java Runtime Environment you downloaded. Accept all the default settings in the installation wizard.
I did this

> Install the Java Advanced Imaging you downloaded. Accept all the default settings in the installation wizard.
I did this

> Simply double-click on the javaHMO-1.0.exe file which will launch the installation wizard
nothing happens....

help!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged