TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> SOAK: Optimum brand DVD-R <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bidger is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 02:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bidger Find more posts by bidger Add bidger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bidger
TiVo Forum Special Member

SOAK: Optimum brand DVD-R

I Googled on this topic and searched the HH, but couldn't come up w/ anything definitive. If anyone's had experience w/ this brand of DVD-R, could you relate your experience for me. I bought some at Staples in anticipation of the DVD Recorder I plan to get myself for Christmas. Thanks for any info.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

I usually use Riteks myself. Just started using Samsung/BeAll because they offer full-coverage printable DVD-Rs. I've had bad experiences with Optodisc and Accu.

You can always use something like DVDInfo to get some information on the media itself:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/index.php

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bidger is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bidger Find more posts by bidger Add bidger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bidger

Thanks logic88. Actually, I did dl that program from the Google search, but I was a little hesitant when it mentioned "AdAware" during the install, so I cancelled it.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88

Yeah, didn't realize that he had gone to an adware version. There is an older non-adware (v1.07) version that I use. I could email it to you if you like. I forgot to mention that I've also had good experiences with Fuji DVD+Rs. Best Buy has periodic sales on Fuji media so you can get them for around $1.25 a piece or so.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TeddS is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 07:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TeddS Find more posts by TeddS Add TeddS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TeddS
Mumbler

The Staples by me has been selling Optimum brand DVD-Rs for $9.90 per 10 pack, so I've been buying a bunch of them. They are super-ugly, with all sorts of branding printed on the disc and no clear spot for writing on them for identification, but they're cheap and I personally don't really care what the disc looks like.

I have found that on my Sony DRU-500A DVD writer, that some of the Optimum DVD-Rs burn at 4x rather than 2x. Looking carefully at the discs, I see that the production run number on the inner hub of the 4x ones is C-DR47P AF0004. All the other production run numbers, which vary a lot, burn consistently at 2x.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to tell which production run is going to be in the pack when you buy them, so it's hit or miss. In my local Staples, there seem to be 4 different production runs mixed in together, so there's about a 1 in 4 chance of getting a 4x spindle.

I figure that for $1 per disk, even 2x is ok and there's the bonus every once in a while of getting a 4x spindle.

[Edit - forgot to mention that they burn very successfully for me - no coasters. I've burned probably about 50 of them so far.]

--Tedd

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bidger is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 08:28 AM
bidger

quote:
Originally posted by TeddS

[Edit - forgot to mention that they burn very successfully for me - no coasters. I've burned probably about 50 of them so far.]

--Tedd

Well, that's the most important thing. Thanks, Tedd. I'm still mulling it over whether to keep them or exchange. I'm hoping that the drop in the recorders that's been rumored will take place this Holiday Season. Would be nice if the media came down in price, but that MIGHT be as wishful as hoping that InkJet cartridges will come down in price.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged