TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Bac news about AAC support <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blybug is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for blybug Visit blybug's homepage! Find more posts by blybug Add blybug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blybug

Bac news about AAC support

Following the introduction of Apple iTunes for Windows I sent (yet another) request to TiVo regarding the timeline for AAC support with the Home Media Option. I bought the TiVo last spring when TiVo announced they were "working with Apple" on a solution. Here's the response I got:

Hello Keith,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I understand you would like to know when AAC files will be support with Home Media Option.

We do not yet know if or when AAC files will be supported. When support for AAC files is implemented it we will post this information on our site.

Kind regards,
Ken
TiVo Customer Support
Web response tracking number: 91655

Aaarrggh. My former MP3 library is almost entirely AAC at this point. I guess I may just buy an extra dock for my iPod and hook it into the home entertainment system rather than waiting for Apple and TiVo to get together on the ultimate "digital hub" convergence.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

You could always burn your AAC files to an audio CD and then rip the audio CD into MP3 files. It's very kludgy but it does work.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

blybug is offline Old Post 10-19-2003 02:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for blybug Visit blybug's homepage! Find more posts by blybug Add blybug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blybug

Actually, there's a better way than that...dragging the AACs (even protected ones) to a Toast audio CD window, creating a disk image, mounting the disk image which iTunes recognizes as an audio CD (even if you put many many more songs than a real CD could hold), and re-ripping as MP3 does the trick very quickly and without wasting any actual CDs.

But...either method loses the ID3 tagging unless you duplicate an exact "album" that the CDDB can recognize, which becomes kind of annoying retyping in all that stuff. And I don't want to have to maintain 2 copies of each music file...I've purchased over 1000 iTunes Music Store songs (replacing my illegitimate MP3s) and re-ripped 2500 more songs from my own CDs into AAC...naively believing the press release from May that AAC support would be forthcoming.

If Apple is pushing AAC as the format of choice for digital music, they can only benefit from third party support. If this is how I am to buy my music from now on, it should be usable "as-is" across multiple devices...iPod, computer, network, TiVo. I sure hope they figure this out someday.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-20-2003 05:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LagunaSol Find more posts by LagunaSol Add LagunaSol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LagunaSol

Good grief, how long can this possibly take? I'm no programmer, but it's been 5 months (!) since we first heard (perhaps incorrectly?) that this was in progress. Is this really such a major undertaking?

Unfortunately TiVo already got my $99, otherwise I'd say "Call me when you figure out AAC support and I'd be happy to sign up."

Come on TiVo, iTunes Music Store is going to be huge. Get on board. Please. Quickly.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan Clarke is offline Old Post 10-20-2003 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Clarke Find more posts by Dan Clarke Add Dan Clarke to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Clarke

I second that

As a PC user who just chucked MMJB for ITunes and just bought an Ipod, I would agree. I have everything already in MP3 but as I continue to buy music from the Itunes store, having to burn and then rip as MP3 is pretty stupid.

OT: Why can't you just convert the $#@ing song to MP3 in the first place? MMJB's downloads do the same thing. Oh well, that's what CDRW's are for, right?

I'm glad that Itunes accepts my MP3s .

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dricci is offline Old Post 10-21-2003 08:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dricci Visit dricci's homepage! Find more posts by dricci Add dricci to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dricci

Must have something to do with that new Dell deal. Sigh, I could've sworn they said that AAC support was coming months ago. Really starting to lose faith in TiVo lately

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

genearch is offline Old Post 10-21-2003 09:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for genearch Find more posts by genearch Add genearch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
genearch
TiVo Forum Special Member

Just curious.. Apple allows authorizing the AAC files on three different computers. How would you propose that HMO play along with these rules? the computer running the HMO server counts as 1 or does each TiVo client? If it's the latter, I'm hosed because I have three Tivo's and 3 Mac's in the house. If it's the former, it may be an issue because Apple may have a contractual obligation to limit the sharing.

Last edited by genearch on 10-21-2003 at 09:57 AM

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-21-2003 10:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LagunaSol Find more posts by LagunaSol Add LagunaSol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LagunaSol

I wouldn't think you'd have to authorize the TiVo, only the computer streaming the music to the TiVo. So you could have one Mac streaming to 3 TiVos in the house, with two other Macs authorized. I see this as fair usage as all your TiVos are within your home. The 3-computer rule is probably there so you couldn't authorize a dozen computers among friends in different locations and share song collections in that way.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 10-22-2003 07:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattman Find more posts by mattman Add mattman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

quote:
Originally posted by blybug
Actually, there's a better way than that

I've found an even more effective way, although it takes a while on my slower machine. I can't post a link here because this is my first post, but the program is called ilovemp3 and you can do a search on Google for it.

You can download the program and get started converting from AAC to mp3 easily. It also saves the ID3 tags, so it works fairly well. I would highly recommend reading the information on the site, as the program has no docs with it.

Hope this helps for some.

BTW it's Mac only as far as I can tell.

Matt

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 10-22-2003 11:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by mattman
I can't post a link here because this is my first post, but the program is called ilovemp3...

Here you go...

http://u1.netgate.net/~snowcat/iLoveMP3/

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 10-22-2003 12:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattman Find more posts by mattman Add mattman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

Thanks Dan!

Matt

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

If only Tivo would release a SDK for the mac. it woudln't be that hard to write a plugin that does what iLoveMP3 does on the fly to serve up an MP3 to listen too. *sigh*

KC

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkeyport is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkeyport Find more posts by bkeyport Add bkeyport to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkeyport

quote:
Originally posted by genearch
Just curious.. Apple allows authorizing the AAC files on three different computers. How would you propose that HMO play along with these rules? the computer running the HMO server counts as 1 or does each TiVo client? If it's the latter, I'm hosed because I have three Tivo's and 3 Mac's in the house. If it's the former, it may be an issue because Apple may have a contractual obligation to limit the sharing.

Simple. Use iTunes Streaming, and cut back the TiVo Desktop to just launch and set up iTunes for streaming.

The streaming is exempt from the 3 computer rule.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kupe is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kupe Find more posts by kupe Add kupe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
You could always burn your AAC files to an audio CD and then rip the audio CD into MP3 files. It's very kludgy but it does work.

The problem with that is that it garbages up your computer, your iTunes, and your iPod with 2 copies of each song. Not only does this waste huge amounts of disk space, but look what happens when you search on Artist, Album, or Song- two of each! And yep- it plays the doubles as well!

Bottom line- AAC support is an absolute must!!

kupe

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 07:27 AM
LagunaSol

Aren't any of the TiVo insiders going to pop into this thread and tell us "Soon, very soon..."?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 08:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

There's always this answer...

quote:
iLoveMP3 will quickly convert complete directories of files in mixed formats (such as ogg, midi or acc) to mp3, using Quicktime for Java to uncompress files and lame to recompress in mp3 format. The result should be superior in quality to iTunes "Convert to mp3". iLoveMP3 is also smart enough to skip mp3 files or files that already have an mp3 counterpart. Finally it will take advantage of dual processor machines by processing 2 files at once.

Find it at http://u1.netgate.net/~snowcat/iLoveMP3/iLoveMP3.html

Not only will it convert AAC (and other formats to MP3), it also retains the ID3 tags.

In regard to the iTMS, as long as the computer on which you run this is "authorized" -- it will handle tracks purchased from the iTMS.

(sorry -- this is a Mac only product)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mr. Laser Beam is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 08:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Laser Beam Find more posts by Mr. Laser Beam Add Mr. Laser Beam to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Laser Beam

quote:
Originally posted by genearch

AAC files that you get while ripping from CDs you own, wouldn't be subject to this rule - 'authorizing' only applies to AAC's downloaded from the iTunes Music Store.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 10:03 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam
AAC files that you get while ripping from CDs you own, wouldn't be subject to this rule - 'authorizing' only applies to AAC's downloaded from the iTunes Music Store.

In fact, it's pretty simple to adjust the iTunes preferences so that CD's it rips are all encoded as MP3 files.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 10:11 AM
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

quote:
Originally posted by kupe
The problem with that is that it garbages up your computer, your iTunes, and your iPod with 2 copies of each song. Not only does this waste huge amounts of disk space, but look what happens when you search on Artist, Album, or Song- two of each! And yep- it plays the doubles as well!

Bottom line- AAC support is an absolute must!!

While I agree that AAC support is a good thing, I believe that with the current work arounds you can avoid having two of each file. I used ilovemp3 to reencode the single song I have purchased from the ITMS and after playing around with it I can truly say that I can erase the original, because the mp3 copy is just as good and retained all of the original ID3 info. You don't need to keep both copies, and the new one is DRM free.

Matt

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 10:20 AM
LagunaSol

Hmm, I can't imagine an AAC cross-encoded to MP3 can sound as good as the original AAC. Maybe "good," but definitely not "as good." I'd at least hold on to those original files somewhere. Apple won't let you download them again when you decide the MP3 versions aren't so hot after all...

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged