TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-R To Become Extinct? <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
edhara is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 12:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edhara Find more posts by edhara Add edhara to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edhara
The Thread Hijacker

DVD-R To Become Extinct?

Geez... I REALLY hope this is not going to happen. I have three -R/RW burners...

----------------------------

http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modul...article&sid=825

According to a report from the Computex exhibition in Taipei the majority opinion is that the DVD-R format looks likely to lose the big format war in the next year or so. The logic behind this claim is that of the major drive manufacturers only Pioneer appears commited to DVD-R and even they are now hedging their bets with dual format products.

The claim is made in the German website PCWelt.de, which has posted a report from Computex with interesting information about coming DVD writers. Here are some of the other claims in the article:

* The DVD+R/RW format is likely to become the dominating format in 2004 according to most drive and media manufacturers.
* Lite-On will introduce an 8x DVD writer, the LDW-811S, in late October. A 12x model could follow as early as in the end of Q1 2004.
* AOpen will introduce a 12x DVD+R/RW writer in the beginning of 2004.
* 16x writers could appear in 2004 and will be the max speed for DVD burners.
* CMC, Ritek and an unamed Japanese manufacturer will start mass production of 8x DVD+R media in mid October.
* Sony has developed a dual layer DVD+R blank but it will likely never reach production stage because the drives needed to burn it will be too expensive.

Story source (translated through babelfish): pcwelt.de

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HomeTheaterJock is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 01:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HomeTheaterJock Find more posts by HomeTheaterJock Add HomeTheaterJock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HomeTheaterJock

There are three pieces of anecdotal evidence I've seen that make me think that DVD-R will survive.

1. DVD-R blanks are cheaper and more plentiful than DVD +R
2. Most of the mod-able or multi region stand alone DVD players seem more compatible with DVD-Rs
3. It's looking like it's not that expensive to make DVD burners support bot +R and -R

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoman is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 01:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivoman Find more posts by tivoman Add tivoman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivoman
Advanced Member

I hope thats not true, I have a 6 1/2 year old DVD player that plays DVD-R disc fine with no problem.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BattMan is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 02:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BattMan Visit BattMan's homepage! Find more posts by BattMan Add BattMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BattMan
Gig Em Aggies!!

Re: DVD-R To Become Extinct?

quote:
Originally posted by edhara
Geez... I REALLY hope this is not going to happen. I have three -R/RW burners...

I wonder if you can part them and fix my BetaMax.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

disco is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 05:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for disco Find more posts by disco Add disco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
disco
why?

Re: DVD-R To Become Extinct?

quote:
Originally posted by edhara
* Sony has developed a dual layer DVD+R blank but it will likely never reach production stage because the drives needed to burn it will be too expensive.
If Sony was smart, they'd produce them anyway: the DVD+R and DVD-R dual layer drives are coming, and I for one will purchase one when they arrive.

I think it's still too early to say whether DVD-R or DVD+R will win.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 05:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

I thought the blanks were the same price now? I know there used to be a big difference, but hasn't that changed in the last 6 months or so?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

choccy is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 05:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for choccy Visit choccy's homepage! Find more posts by choccy Add choccy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
choccy
EMT Gladding

I'm shopping for a boat load of blanks right now. I can take - or + (Sony DRU-500). So far, I'm seeing lower prices for - ...

Tim; RHCE #80800292680663; postcount++;
Visit Tim's big ole' list of deep links, http://r-9.net/!.

"I'm not possessed just perverted." - whoknows55 / "Tim is right" - Raj / do not click here!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zyzzx is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 05:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zyzzx Find more posts by zyzzx Add zyzzx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zyzzx
Bucknut

I'd be sorry for those of you who have only -R drives if this happens. As long as +R doesn't become extinct I'm happy. I think both will survive for the short term.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HomeTheaterJock is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 05:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HomeTheaterJock Find more posts by HomeTheaterJock Add HomeTheaterJock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HomeTheaterJock

Re: Re: DVD-R To Become Extinct?

quote:
Originally posted by disco
If Sony was smart, they'd produce them anyway: the DVD+R and DVD-R dual layer drives are coming, and I for one will purchase one when they arrive.

I think it's still too early to say whether DVD-R or DVD+R will win.

Do we know if dual layer drives will use the same media or will there be new higher priced dual layer media?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

disco is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 05:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for disco Find more posts by disco Add disco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
disco
why?

Re: Re: Re: DVD-R To Become Extinct?

quote:
Originally posted by HomeTheaterJock
Do we know if dual layer drives will use the same media or will there be new higher priced dual layer media?
The dual layer -R & +R drives will require new dual layer discs - which will most likely be more expensive than single layer. The price will drop, though, as usual.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobcarn is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobcarn Visit bobcarn's homepage! Find more posts by bobcarn Add bobcarn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey

I wouldn't worry at all about having a -R drive. This is different from the VHS/Betamax wars a while back for one main reason... the discs you create with your -R drive will still be able to be used in most of the DVD players!

Unlike Beta, you don't need special DVD players to play the -R discs. So look at the worst case scenario: DVD-R becomes obsolete tomorrow. What would happen to the -R drive users?

1) You'd still have your drive, and you'd still be able to burn DVDs like you always could.
2) You'd still be able to buy -R blanks for a long time.
3) As with all computer technology, the drives would break down after some time, and you would wind up replacing them with new ones. Except the new ones would be whatever standard is in place at the time.
4) Then you'll just keep on burning new discs using the new media, but still able to use your old media.

I had to make up my mind as to which format to buy when I got my DVD burner. I chose +R technology, but at the time, +R didn't have all the support planned like it does now, so it still looked iffy. But the reasoning I came up with made me feel comfortable that even if the drive I chose became obsolete, I'd still be able to use it, and I'd still be able to use the discs I burned.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 07:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

I think both are here to stay - even if the market is skewed towards one or the other in the end. After all, we've had mac-vs-pc arguments for years, and neither is going away. And they're fun.

Either way, I'm covered - I have a ± drive.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 07:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

I think this is more marketing FUD perpetrated by the +R camp. They've been doing a LOT of that. I don't see DVD-R going away anytime soon.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mkazen is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 08:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mkazen Find more posts by mkazen Add mkazen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mkazen
Tivo Geek

What Raj said...

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

This is why I have a DRU-500A. I couldn't care less which format wins in the long run.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

old7 is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 09:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for old7 Find more posts by old7 Add old7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
old7
Advanced Member

Both formats will continue to exist because there are some DVD PLAYERS that will recognize one format but not the other and still others players that recognize the other but not the former. If there was one format that was recognized by all DVD players and the media was cheaper then I would be concerned that the other format would disappear. Till then expect to see both formats.

There are far too many drives of both formats to eliminate one or the other. Now with most drives being capable of both formats does it really matter?

Did you see the specs on the new HD-DVD format....

-Old7

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

quote:
"will recognize one format but not the other and still others players that recognize the other but not the former."
HFC I thought there were just two formats - now you tell me there's three. "one format", "the other" and "the former"

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

logic88 is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for logic88 Find more posts by logic88 Add logic88 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
logic88
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by choccy
I'm shopping for a boat load of blanks right now. I can take - or + (Sony DRU-500). So far, I'm seeing lower prices for - ...

What kind of prices are you seeing? I'm in the market for full coverage inkjet printable DVDRs. The only ones that I've found are some printable (up to hub ring) Samsung/BeAll 4X DVD-Rs for $134/100. Otherwise, I'm partial to printable (up to stack ring) Ritek G03 1X/2X DVD-Rs for $85/100.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eric_mcgovern is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eric_mcgovern Find more posts by eric_mcgovern Add eric_mcgovern to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eric_mcgovern
Advanced Member

Well for consumers there is no war.

All the major players are producing dual format burners. I just buy whatever is cheaper at the time.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

In my production almost all of my clients request DVD-R (if they know what they're talking about).

Only one has ever wanted +R.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged