TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-R To Become Extinct? <<<

Pages (3): « Prev 1 [2] 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jsmeeker is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 12:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

I'm surprised people say -R is more available.. Everytime I am in a store that sells blanks CDs and DVDs, I notice that there are more +R media choices than -R choices... More brands, more package sizes, etc..

But as long as -R media sticks around for a long time, I'll be cool, as I will have a -R burner in the future.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edhara is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 01:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edhara Find more posts by edhara Add edhara to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edhara
The Thread Hijacker

It's been my personal experience that -R media has a tendency to be slightly more compatible with older dvd players than +R. I guess we'll have to see what happens...

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 02:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by jsmeeker
I'm surprised people say -R is more available.. Everytime I am in a store that sells blanks CDs and DVDs, I notice that there are more +R media choices than -R choices... More brands, more package sizes, etc..
That's because everybody keeps buying the -R so you never see much of it and the +R is just sitting on the shelves accumulating.

You can get DVD-R media much cheaper than DVD+R, and that's always been the case ever since there've been two formats to choose from, though the difference has narrowed from about a 200% premium to about 60% over the last year and a half or so.

In bulk (200 pieces), I see deals for DVD-R 4x media at about $0.70 each and DVD+R 4x media is about $1.15 each.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

Where do you guys usually buy your DVD media from? The best prices I see are round $2/disc for +R or -R.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 10:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

http://www.rima.com

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 10:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by holee
Where do you guys usually buy your DVD media from? The best prices I see are round $2/disc for +R or -R.

Online. I just go to www.pricewatch.com and check out the top 5 or so DVD-R dealers' web sites.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

I get all mine from Rima.

Been very happy with them.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 10:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by jsmeeker

But as long as -R media sticks around for a long time, I'll be cool, as I will have a -R burner in the future.

I think this is at the heart of the issue.

Licensing for +R and +RW is supposedly cheaper than that for DVD-R and DVD-RW, this is why I suppose drives and media are more plentiful.

Of course in a pinch you can always go to the apple store and use Apple DVD-R's (which are just rebranded TDK or Pioneer I think)

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

FYI: Anyone who's looking to get some blank DVDs. Amazon.com currently has 25 packs of Memorex 4x DVD+R and DVD-R media for $29.95 each with free shipping. It's the best deal I've seen in a long time for low quantities of 4x media.

Click Here for DVD+Rs

Click Here for DVD-Rs

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for holee Visit holee's homepage! Find more posts by holee Add holee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holee
Uncertain

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc
I get all mine from Rima.

Been very happy with them.

Is there a specific brand you usually buy?

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by edhara
* 16x writers could appear in 2004 and will be the max speed for DVD burners.

Now that would be cool. Less then 4 minutes to burn a complete DVD, or 7 if it's dual layered, would so much better then the 15 I have to wait now for my 4x burner.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

holee is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:19 PM
holee
Uncertain

I noticed that on my Sony 4X burner, that -R media will burn faster than +R. Nero usually says +R will be burned at 2X because the source is too slow (the hard drive), but for some reason it doesn't seem to happen on -R.

Admittedly, I've only burned two -R discs and about 10 +R's, but the +R's will never burn at 4X. I've tried both Memorex and Fujitsu discs. The Fujitsu's didn't say 2X or 4X, but the Memorex does say supports 4X burning.

I don't know why Nero would say the source is too slow to begin with though. What can I do to get the drive to burn at 4X all the time?

Last edited by holee on 10-26-2003 at 11:26 PM

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

quote:
Is there a specific brand you usually buy?

Ritek.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:
Originally posted by Cletus
Ritek.

Ditto that.

Inkjet printable.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

I've had really good luck using Meritline .

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 12:07 AM
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
What can I do to get the drive to burn at 4X all the time?

Try different software. If you're burning DVD movies I'd suggest building the DVD on the hard drive first. Then use ImgTool Classic* to build an ISO image. And then finally using DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO image to the DVD.**

I use this process all the time when making DVD movies and I always get full 4x speed on my Dell (rebranded NEC 1100A) DVD+R/W drive.

Dan

* There is another version of ImagTool called ImgTool Burn with built in burning, but it uses Nero and if Nero is your problem then that wont do you much good.

** The new version of ImgTool Classic (build 8) actually supports linking directly to DVD Decrypter so that once the image is created it uses DVD Decrypter to burn it automaticlly. I have yet to try this feature but it sounds promising.

All with Lifetime

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 12:11 AM
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:
Originally posted by midas
I've had really good luck using Meritline .

I used to use Meritline for all my disks, cases, etc. but had a falling out with them so I don't use them anymore.

The ACCU product it good and you'll do well with them, I just had a beef with the company.

On the flip side, RIMA has taken care of me very well.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 12:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc
I used to use Meritline for all my disks, cases, etc. but had a falling out with them so I don't use them anymore.

The ACCU product it good and you'll do well with them, I just had a beef with the company.

On the flip side, RIMA has taken care of me very well.

I'll have to check them out. So far I've bought from Meritline 4 times and haven't had any issues. But I'llcheck out RIMA in the future.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Cletus
Ritek.

I usually buy Memorex, they seem to work well for me.

I think many brands are rebranded Ritek or something else.

I got burned with cheap DVD-R's once (CD-Recordable.com), never me with cheapies again.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 02:01 AM
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:
Originally posted by Raj
I got burned with cheap DVD-R's once (CD-Recordable.com), never me with cheapies again.

Check out the media FAQ at dvdrhelp.com:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172496

Here's a selection:

Just like with everything else in the world, I ALWAYS get what I pay for. If I pay extra money for expensive DVD MEDIA then i'm surely going to get the best quality, right?

This is the ABSOLUTE BIGGEST FALLACY regarding DVD MEDIA. I have seen many posts where people think that they are getting the best quality media simply because they spent a few extra dollars. This couldn't be more false. Yes, MANY times in the real world, you get what you pay for. You won't get fillet mignon for the price of Salisbury steak, and you won't get a Ferrari for the price of a Ford. In many cases you do get what you pay for. But in the world of DVD MEDIA, you absolutely can NOT associate price with quality.

There's a bit of a learning curve to understand how to read different media and see what's what but once you do it's easy to buy with confidence and look for the best price. There are tons of good tools at dvdrhelp.com

The best media I've found (and remember I provide disks to many different clients to use on hundreds of different machines) I get for less than $1.00 a disk.

Once I switched to Ritek from Rima, I've not had a single problem come back to me about being able to play the disk. I had occasional trouble with ACCUs.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged