TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> "Next Attempt" connection frequency not changing with HMO <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
penguin_man is offline Old Post 10-31-2003 07:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for penguin_man Find more posts by penguin_man Add penguin_man to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
penguin_man

Unhappy "Next Attempt" connection frequency not changing with HMO

I just got HMO after I posed the question of what its value was. Majority of opinion was positive, so I'm in for at least a 30 risk-free trial.

ONE PROBLEM:

My "NEXT ATTEMPT" connection date is set for Saturday noon. This is no good for me if I want to web-schedule a program for Friday night - TiVo won't be connecting in to check.

I've downloaded several web-scheduled events already hoping this would trigger more frequent connection attempts, but no good.

Is this a bug ??

Thanks,
John

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gleffler is offline Old Post 10-31-2003 07:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gleffler Visit gleffler's homepage! Find more posts by gleffler Add gleffler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gleffler
This one goes to 11

This is by design. As long as a connection is available (and you have it properly set up,) it will check for web programming every 15 minutes. These aren't the same as regular calls to update program guide data, so they don't update the TiVo's information about making calls. Web program checks take place without downloading any more data.

Welcome to the TiVolution!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

penguin_man is offline Old Post 10-31-2003 07:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for penguin_man Find more posts by penguin_man Add penguin_man to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
penguin_man

Lightbulb Glad to be here..

Thanks for the answer and the welcome. Now that I have ny Series2, my Series1 is going to undergo some science experimentation (h/d upgrade).

This will make me a true TiVolutionary.

John

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 10-31-2003 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

John -- one clarification the every 15 minute check occurs only if your connection to TiVo for data is via Broadband -- if you are one of the few using HMO via landline it will only check for scheduling during its normal calls.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dschultznet is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 02:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dschultznet Find more posts by dschultznet Add dschultznet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dschultznet

Unhappy Every 15 minutes????

quote:
Originally posted by gleffler
This is by design. As long as a connection is available (and you have it properly set up,) it will check for web programming every 15 minutes. These aren't the same as regular calls to update program guide data, so they don't update the TiVo's information about making calls. Web program checks take place without downloading any more data.

Welcome to the TiVolution!

My Tivo only checks every 30 minutes (to the second)... How did you get yours to check every 15????

Dan

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 05:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kindred Find more posts by Kindred Add Kindred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kindred

Mine is a S2 and it checks about every 15 minutes. Couldn't imagine why you'rs would only check every 30 min?!

Jack

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BakerKirk is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 09:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BakerKirk Find more posts by BakerKirk Add BakerKirk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BakerKirk

How can I tell how often my series 2 checks?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kindred Find more posts by Kindred Add Kindred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kindred

I sent mine a directive to record something and then waited to see how close to the hour/half hour it would record. It would record within 15 minutes of the half or hour where it was specified. I guess you could watch the lights!

Jack

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Others have used a network packet sniffer to watch for the TiVo connecting to the Internet.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 11:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by BakerKirk
How can I tell how often my series 2 checks?
The easiest way, if your router supports it, is to check your router's outgoing logs.

BTW dschultznet, your TiVo probably does connect every 15 minutes. It can take 30 minutes for you to get your success/fail confirmation e-mail.

Your TiVo schedules the recording the first time it connects after you schedule the recording, but the email won't be sent until the 2nd time your TiVo connects (since it won't know whether the schedule was successful or failed until after the first connection ends).

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 12:25 AM
Kindred

I turned logging on on my Linksys and found a list of accesses, doesn't give a time though.

Jack

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged