TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Pioneer DVR 810H-Recording to DVD.. <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bedelman is offline Old Post 11-24-2003 11:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/ is the "official' enhancement suggestion mechanism.

Thanks, it has been posted.

The nature of the enhancement suggestion is to allow a Series 2 to have a different mode setting whereby recordings made on a Series 2 can be recorded to DVD if they get transferred to a Pioneer unit.

If nothing else, a recording made on a Pioneer that is sent to a Series 2 and back to a Pioneer should still be able to be recorded to DVD. Right now, the "block" is on anything coming from a Series 2 regardless of where the program originated.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DestinyCmdr is offline Old Post 11-26-2003 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DestinyCmdr Visit DestinyCmdr's homepage! Find more posts by DestinyCmdr Add DestinyCmdr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DestinyCmdr

I have a theory, but don't have the equipment to test it out. For the sake of testing this theory, one would have to have a normal Series2, two 810s, have used HMO to transfer a recording from one to the other, and have successfully burned the transferred video to DVD.

So here goes...

If you record a video on the 810, then transfer it to a normal Series2 and back again, the 810 believes it cannot record to DVD because it originated from the normal Series2. QED.

HOWEVER....

If you transfer it from the 810 to a Series2, back to the 810, then to ANOTHER 810, will it record? The second 810 might no longer be confused, seeing as the video was transfered from an 810.

If this works...

Then RECORD a video on a standard Series2, transfer it to an 810, then transfer it to another 810. Does the second 810 then believe it is recordable? If so, does it play back in a DVD player other than the 810?

The theory?

That there isn't a difference in recording format, or perhaps not a large one (it's close but not perfect?). TiVo simply wishes to not get into technical support hassles dealing with the occasional DVD video that wouldn't play. But that transferred videos WILL work on a DVD most of the time.

Any thoughts?

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lpwcomp is offline Old Post 11-26-2003 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lpwcomp Find more posts by lpwcomp Add lpwcomp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lpwcomp

I have a suspicion that it may not allow you to burn any transferred recording, even if it is from another 810 or a 57H.

TiVo 2 (42 Hrs)

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DestinyCmdr is offline Old Post 11-27-2003 08:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DestinyCmdr Visit DestinyCmdr's homepage! Find more posts by DestinyCmdr Add DestinyCmdr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DestinyCmdr

quote:
Originally posted by lpwcomp
I have a suspicion that it may not allow you to burn any transferred recording, even if it is from another 810 or a 57H.

The behavior we are all seeing is consistent with what the manual says on page 42:
quote:
Programs transferred to the Recorder from a different kind of TiVo DVR (e.g., using Home Media Option), may not be copied to DVD.

So programs HMO'd from a non-DVD recorder can't be stored to DVD regardless of their origin. Following this logic, programs HMO'd from another 810 MAY be able to record to DVD regardless of what TiVo recorded them. The documentation says nothing about the video formats being incompatible.

Do we even know for a fact (other than the "video and audio formats are incompatible" quote on the TiVo screen) that there really is a difference? Has any knowledgable TiVo rep confirmed this?

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jonginear is offline Old Post 11-30-2003 07:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jonginear Find more posts by jonginear Add jonginear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonginear

Is the component video output noticably better than Svideo on the 810?

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TeeVohFan is offline Old Post 12-21-2003 05:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TeeVohFan Find more posts by TeeVohFan Add TeeVohFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TeeVohFan

Red face Whoa!!! THANKS!!!

Wow! Thanks everyone!!!

I was within five minutes of ordering a DVR810HS on-line and decided to make a quick pass through the forum to make sure there weren't going to be any surprises.

I have an unmodified Series II stand-alone Tivo that has some programs I'd like to archive in a high quality format. I've been looking for a clean way that didn't require buying a high end consumer or low end pro video capture card or hacking my Tivo. I thought the DVR810HS and HMO were going to be the answer. Apparently not. Now that would have been an unpleasant surprise.

Probably a deal breaker. Someone I know that owns an DVR810 told me the DVD-R's it writes look about like the original recordings. Does any one know if DVD-R's made with files from a high end consumer video capture card are of similar quality?

Thanks again! If it weren't for this forum I would have been one unhappy consumer about a week from now.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged