TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Should I buy a Pioneer DVR-810H-S DVD-R/RW Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
monty's mom is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 02:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for monty's mom Find more posts by monty's mom Add monty's mom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
monty's mom

Question Should I buy a Pioneer DVR-810H-S DVD-R/RW Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive

I'm dying to get Tivo, I have an 8 month old and have had to turn of the TV while he is awake (for development reasons, etc.) So I'm in major magic box withdrawal and the VCR isn't cutting it.

Problem 2 is I have a video camera the records to the Hi-8 tapes and want to convert the videos of my sweetie to DVD.

My question is will the Pioneer 810 solve all my problems? Want Tivo, a way to offload shows, and a way to feed video in and burn it to DVD - will I need some extra hardware for this last part?

Or I'm I trying to do too much with one unit - could get regular TIVO 80hr and then just buy a DVD burner and software for my laptop? Any advice or recommendations?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HDTiVo Find more posts by HDTiVo Add HDTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

The Pioneer should be great for you! Note the Hi-8 will be transfered to the TiVo Hard Drive via analog input for later burning to DVD.

My friends with new babies have bought TiVo for logistical reasons like yours...once they saw what mine could do!

I don't have ANY of the problems mentioned in this Forum.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stephen Tu is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stephen Tu Find more posts by Stephen Tu Add Stephen Tu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stephen Tu

The 810 has no editing features. It's less than ideal for video camera transfers because of that. Might be better to get a standard Tivo, & a separate DVD recorder or drive for your computer. The DVD recorder is quicker & easier; the computer solution would allow more fancy editing, effects, and menus.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HDTiVo Find more posts by HDTiVo Add HDTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Rather than buying a video capture card for the PC, capture it and burn it unedited with the Pioneer. Then put the DVD in your computer and do some editing and re-burn.

If you are a "novice" that is an easy approach. Plus the Pioneer has good capture hardware - no searching for a good PC solution on top of everything else.

I don't have ANY of the problems mentioned in this Forum.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 05:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

TiVo permits the parents of young children to control:

1) What is available to watch during late night duty with a child who has "erratic" sleep schedule. Our daughter had memorized all the 3AM infomercials until they got their TiVo

2) What is available top the children -- Kim and Kevin's are 4.5 and 2.75. Only kid's shows permitted are those on TiVo. There are three episodes of Mr. Rogers Zoom, Bear in in the Big Blue House and Blue's Clues. TiVo keeps track of and recycles the shows. If they would like another there is a negotiation as to which one gets dropped. Has worked very well.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

qpskfec is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 05:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for qpskfec Find more posts by qpskfec Add qpskfec to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qpskfec

I currently use directivo + dvd recorder w/o hd. If I want to edit extensively, I'll load the dvd onto the PC.

Lack of editing removes the Pioneer Tivo from my list.

If I had to buy today, I would get a directivo or SA Tivo, and a non-Tivo dvd recorder with hd. Pioneer 510 or Panasonic E80. You can also throw in a PC burner for less than $100.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AZJimbo is offline Old Post 11-06-2003 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AZJimbo Find more posts by AZJimbo Add AZJimbo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AZJimbo
TiVo Lover and Chef

My advice is to never buy the first version of any product.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-06-2003 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by HDTiVo
Rather than buying a video capture card for the PC, capture it and burn it unedited with the Pioneer. Then put the DVD in your computer and do some editing and re-burn.

That's not nearly as easy as it sounds. DVDs can't just be edited as is. You have to rip the audio and video, convert the audio from AC3 to MP2 or PCM*, mux them into a standard MPEG file, import them into the editing program, create a new edited video, then finally create a new DVD with menus using the new video.

I mean it can be done, and the results are great, however she would be much better off simply buying a a FireWire card and Pinnacle Studio v8. Then she could have one program that would capture, edit, convert and burn to DVD with very minimal effort. (Studio can even do the conversion from DV to MPEG while it's capturing if you're computer's fast enough.)

Dan

*No consumer level editing programs I know of can edit AC3 audio

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

Last edited by Dan203 on 11-06-2003 at 01:59 AM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

qpskfec is offline Old Post 11-06-2003 03:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for qpskfec Find more posts by qpskfec Add qpskfec to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qpskfec

It is possible to put together dvds with ac3. On a +RW disc, insert chapter marks wherever you need. Transfer disc to PC. Use DVDecrypter to rip only the chapters you need. Load VOBs into DVD Movie Factory. Author, burn.

This is pretty simple to do, but not as simple as having a stand alone dvd recorder with hard drive that will allow you to edit on the hard drive before burning. You can do this on the 510, not on the 810.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrboo is offline Old Post 11-06-2003 04:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrboo Find more posts by mrboo Add mrboo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrboo
Advanced Member

If one is looking for excuses to not get one you'll find plenty. I just accept the unit for what it is: an early model of a very convenient piece of technology. I'm not looking to catalog all of television, so I just enjoy the upgraded OS, the HMO, and the ability to share programs with friends on DVD. It's a very cool device. One that I'm sure will be dated in about a year and a half (but that won't diminish it's effectiveness for me at all). I'll upgrade to the next sleek and shiny box in a few years.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-06-2003 05:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by qpskfec
It is possible to put together dvds with ac3. On a +RW disc, insert chapter marks wherever you need. Transfer disc to PC. Use DVDecrypter to rip only the chapters you need. Load VOBs into DVD Movie Factory. Author, burn.

Well unfortunately the Pioneer only burns DVD-R/W disks. Plus that would only work for making basic edits. If you needed to rearrange the video, add titles, etc.. you'd still need a computer and editing software.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 11-06-2003 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by mdscott
1) What is available to watch during late night duty with a child who has "erratic" sleep schedule. Our daughter had memorized all the 3AM infomercials until they got their TiVo

"Set it and Forget It!" Deffently was one of my favorites before TiVo

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged