TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> questions about DVR/DVD-R combos <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
slug420 is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 11:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for slug420 Find more posts by slug420 Add slug420 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slug420

questions about DVR/DVD-R combos

I have done some searching and am still in the process of reading through relevant threads but in the mean time.....

Im thinking of getting a DVR and DVD Recorder combo.....the pioneer is the one on every place's top gifts list and Best Buy has it, but best buy also offers a significantly cheaper toshiba model which I was planning on getting.......until i came on here and it seems like everyone is having all sorts of quality issues with their DVR/DVD rEcorder combos. That having been said, heres some questions...

On these combo devices do you have to use the TIVO service? I would prefer not to pay for it quite honestly and my DishNetwork receiver already has timers set up to auto tune M-F etc etc to my favorite programs and it could easily be switched to Record if i could cimply connect the DVR as if it was a VCR or something........

I noticed while searching that other companies like panasonic also seem to be making these combos but I havent seen them anywhere. Who are the companies making them? Care to compare/contrast briefly the plusses or minuses of each or point me to a place that does?

Is there any brand/model which does not have picture quality issues at this time?

thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 12:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

Just to clairify, the Toshiba model is not a DVD-R machine. It can only play DVDs (along with having all the functionality of a regular TiVo). The Pioneer units are the only TiVo units that can record DVD-Rs.

Chris

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slug420 is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 01:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slug420 Find more posts by slug420 Add slug420 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slug420

pioneer's website says they have one too, but you were right about the toshiba......

any idea on whether or not you can use em without tivo?

or where to find the panasonic?

Are there DVRs with ethernet ports in them so that I could connect them to a DVD-R in my computer?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 02:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

Both Pioneers and the Toshiba come with what is called "TiVo Basic" (to see what features are included with basic go here http://www.tivo.com/1.1.3.asp#b). Both the Pioneer and the Toshiba models also give you a 45 day free trial of the TiVo Plus service (for the most part the service that all TiVo folks know and love).

The Panasonic? It does not come with TiVo service of any kind. They do have VCR+ (which I know the Pioneer 810 does as well). Some of them have hard drives. It is not nearly as elegant as TiVo though (I know cause I have both the Pioneer 810 and the Panasonic E50 and I made the choice to get the Pioneer AFTER I bought the Panasonic because it was better at doing the things I wanted/needed). With that said, you can find the Panasonic models just about anywhere I would imagine.

Though I don't' have exhaustive knowledge of the industry, the only DVRs that I know of with Ethernet ports are the Replay units. I am no expert on Replay units however so I would not know how one goes about moving the video from the Replay to your computer. You will also find that discussions of getting the raw video out of your TiVo and onto your computer are verboten on this board (not giving you a hard time just a head's up). Folks will speak about things like digitizing video via a dazzle board to get it into your computer though 'cause that is allowed.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 07:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

Concerning the Dish receivers Record feature: they probably don't have the codes to operate the new DVD recorders.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adelimon is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 07:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for adelimon Find more posts by adelimon Add adelimon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adelimon

With regard to picture quality issues: I have a Toshiba, and have not had a single picture quality problem. I record on basic. I think people who complain about picture quality on these units are just being picky.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JJJB is offline Old Post 12-02-2003 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JJJB Find more posts by JJJB Add JJJB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJJB

adelimon said

quote:
I think people who complain about picture quality on these units are just being picky.

Sure I'll send you or anyone a DVD I recorded of flickering TiVo and then you can tell me how "picky" we all are especially for a unit like the 57H that lists for $1500.00

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVotion is offline Old Post 12-02-2003 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVotion Find more posts by TiVotion Add TiVotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVotion
Misanthropic Geek

quote:
Originally posted by JJJB
adelimon said

Sure I'll send you or anyone a DVD I recorded of flickering TiVo and then you can tell me how "picky" we all are especially for a unit like the 57H that lists for $1500.00

Ditto. I've had 2 Pioneers I had to end up returning, so I'd be glad to show anyone just how "picky" I am too.

HMO / Windows XP Pro
Toshiba 42" 42H83 RP HDTV

"If the real thing don't do the trick, you better make up something quick..."

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adelimon is offline Old Post 12-02-2003 09:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for adelimon Find more posts by adelimon Add adelimon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adelimon

So the wait until the technology matures, then buy it, instead of buying it, then crying about it.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JJJB is offline Old Post 12-03-2003 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JJJB Find more posts by JJJB Add JJJB to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJJB

Maybe all of us on here figure if we cry loud enough someone might hear us and do something about it.You can call me picky if I complain about a $1500.00 piece of high end equipment that doesn't record a TV signal as good as a $39.00 VCR.No,I'm not gonna return it (too late anyway) and I still love the machine.Heck if it was only 2 or 300.00 I wouldn't complain at all.And don't say "well then buy a $39.00 VCR" because once you've had TiVo there's no going back.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged