TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> My experience buying from Solid Signal -- solidsignal.com <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tivoPaul is offline Old Post 12-03-2003 09:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivoPaul Find more posts by tivoPaul Add tivoPaul to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivoPaul

My experience buying from Solid Signal -- solidsignal.com

I have had a frustrating purchasing experience with this company, and thought I would post my experience here so that others can consider my experience to make an informed purchasing decision. I purchased from Solid Signal as it seems that they have a broad selection of gear as well as a solid website to order from. My experience, though, has been anything but solid.

I will post the sequence of events and let you draw your own conclusions...keep in mind that I am an avid internet purchaser of high-tech equipment and spent thousands of dollars this past year on big screen TVs, multiswitches, diplexers, HD tuners, antennas, Tivos, and computer equipment -- the vast majority of it purchased on the internet.

This is the first time I have felt the need to post anything related to a negative purchasing experience...this is mostly fueled by what I perceive to be a complete disregard for me as a customer. First I was given an incorrect order status, my emails are repeatedly ignored, and it is impossible to reach anyone at this company by phone directly -- the voice message directs customers to send inquiries via email.

1. Placed an order for a Channel Master 4221 antenna via the web the morning of 11/19, and paid by credit card. My credit card was charged for the amount of the purchase on 11/19.
2. Sent an email to Solid Signal early afternoon on 11/19 asking if my order would ship that day.
3. Received an email from Solid Signal shortly thereafter with a one word response: 'YES!'.
4. Morning of 11/24. Order still shows 'In Process' on their website. Sent email "Can you please send me a tracking #? Thanks". No response was received.
5. Morning of 11/26. Order still shows 'In Process' on their website. Sent an email "Can you send me a tracking # for this order? Thanks". No response was received.
6. Afternoon of 11/28. Order still shows 'In Process' on their website. Sent an email "Can you please let me know what is going on with this order? After sending you multiple emails and getting no response, I'm losing faith." No response was received.
7. 12/1, Order shows 'Shipped' on their website. In the field where the tracking number is supposed to be, the word 'Shipped' is instead. As you can imagine, no tracking information is available for the word 'Shipped'.

Evening of 12/2...I still don't have an antenna, no faith that it has in fact shipped, no idea when it will, and no way to reach someone to find out what the status is. If I go ahead and buy one from someone else I will invariably end up with two, but I am seriously considering it so I can make some progress on my HD project.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike Lang is offline Old Post 12-03-2003 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Lang Find more posts by Mike Lang Add Mike Lang to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

I just got the same antenna in 2 days here... http://www.consumer-direct.com/deta...tno=4221&tot=61

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Want1394 is offline Old Post 12-03-2003 11:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Want1394 Find more posts by Want1394 Add Want1394 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Want1394
TiVo Forum Special Member

tivoPaul, I agree - those business practices should remove them from getting anyone's business.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SquirrelyM is offline Old Post 12-03-2003 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SquirrelyM Find more posts by SquirrelyM Add SquirrelyM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SquirrelyM

I have to say that I'm surprised by your experience. SolidSignal is a sponsor and member of AVS Forum, and seem to be well-regarded there. Personally, my experience as a SolidSignal customer has been outstanding.

I recently bought an antenna, pre-amp and diplexers from them. My order shipped promptly in two separate deliveries, and I received emails with tracking numbers. Upon arrival, I didn't find the diplexers, so I sent an email about it. They replied quickly and asked me to check the antenna box. (The antenna shipped in the manufacturer's box, so I didn't think to look in there.)

I didn't get a chance to open the box until the next day, and the diplexers were indeed in there. I sent an email back to SolidSignal, and they replied saying that since they hadn't heard from me, they sent two more diplexers overnight. I offered to refuse shipment or send them back, but they told me to keep them.

Anyway, that kind of service will keep me as a customer. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I would at least give them a chance to make it right.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoPaul is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivoPaul Find more posts by tivoPaul Add tivoPaul to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivoPaul

I'm surprised as well...I follow the HD Hardware board pretty closely as well as this one, and it seems like people generally give them decent feedback. Nonetheless, my experience has been terrible. Believe me, i would love for them to 'make it right', but I don't get the impression they are in any rush to do so.

I sent them this email today at 11:34AM:

"SolidSignal:

I have now sent you three separate emails asking for the status of this order, and have received no response.

You have charged my credit card for this item on 11/19. You told me the item would ship that day. I have never received the item, or even a tracking number from you, despite repeated requests. As of a couple days ago, the order status page says ‘Shipped’ where the tracking # should be.

If you haven’t yet shipped this item, please cancel it and process a refund to my credit card. If you have shipped it, please send me the tracking # so I have some idea on when it will arrive. In either case, please respond to this mail.

I have to say that given your presence on the avsforum and general feedback there, I expected a much better purchasing experience than I have gotten. "

At 12:41PM, I received the following response :
"Checking on your order, will get back shortly..."

I heard nothing the rest of the day.

What will arrive first....my OTA antenna or the HD Tivo? Not holding my breath for either at this point .

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoPaul is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 03:49 AM
tivoPaul

Update:

Got a call (within an our from my call) from Jerry at Solid Signal within an hour of my voicemail to them today. Since I am at work, I was unable to answer, but he left me a voicemail making the following points:

--Researched your order and emails, and 'recognize the fact that we let you down'.

--Is overnighting me an antenna from SLC warehouse, which I should have tomorrow.

--If I have the inkling to do business with them again, send him an email (didn't leave me his email address, but did leave full name) after I place the order and he will see what he can do to provide a substantial discount on that order.

--Mentioned that as a result of this, they are 'switching some things around internally'. He also mentioned that a specific individual there who dropped the ball on my order/correspondence would no longer be in a position to affect future transactions negatively.

So at least now I have an apology, an explanation, and an ETA -- this is a huge improvement over what I had gotten up until now. Hopefully the changes they are making will prevent a reoccurance.

Last edited by tivoPaul on 12-05-2003 at 06:29 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 03:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cktb2793 Find more posts by cktb2793 Add cktb2793 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cktb2793

quote:
Originally posted by tivoPaul
Update:

--Mentioned that as a result of this, they are 'switching some things around internally'. He also mentioned that a specific individual there who dropped the ball on my order/correspondence would no longer be in a position to affect future transactions negatively.

That "individual" must still be "affecting" things, as I've had a similar experience:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=182419

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged