TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> DVD-R/DVD-RW Compatability? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NeoApocalypse is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 12:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NeoApocalypse Visit NeoApocalypse's homepage! Find more posts by NeoApocalypse Add NeoApocalypse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NeoApocalypse

DVD-R/DVD-RW Compatability?

Has anyone had any problems with compatability with discs burned on the new Pioneer DVR-810H-S/DVR-810H? I'm considering getting one, but I have no experience with burned DVDs.

I would like to be able to play these discs on my Playstation 2 and my PC's Pioneer DVD-106S DVD-ROM drive (with PowerDVD software decoder/player). It would also be nice to be able to send burned DVDs to my parents. They have some sort of APEX and some sort of Panasonic DVD players, though I don't know what models.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

DVD-R disks have something like 90% compatibility with standalone DVD players, so you should be pretty safe if you use those. DVD-RW disks are only compatible with something like 70% of standalone DVD players, so I'd be a little more reluctant to use those for anything you're going to send to someone else.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

I don't think the PS2 supports anything other than pressed DVD's, but I would think the others would be OK with -R and probably -RW too.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S

My PS2 played back a DVD-R (video). I assumed that it wouldn't but I had the disk sitting right there and figured what the heck, stuck it in and it started playing.

I only have the one burned disk so I couldn't test if this was normal behavior or not, but it is a data point.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 04:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S

Lucky you If I recall correctly, the original run of PS2's didn't read DVD-R's, so perhaps they corrected this at some point, or that particular brand of -R happens to work.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mikey94025 is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 05:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mikey94025 Find more posts by mikey94025 Add mikey94025 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey94025

I have been sharing 2X DVD-RWs with my coworkers, burned from my 810. We also tried a 4X DVD-R early on. Compatibility has been iffy with the DVD-RW and better with the DVD-R.

All of my home DVD players and home computers/laptops could load the DVD-RW. Most of the computers/laptops at work had problems recognizing the DVD-RW. The IBM laptop that works can't recognize about half of the DVD-RWs I create but works with others (strange). One coworker's Cyberhome DVD player stopped halfway through a DVD-RW but in general DVD players are fine.

In short, you better test.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NeoApocalypse is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 07:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NeoApocalypse Visit NeoApocalypse's homepage! Find more posts by NeoApocalypse Add NeoApocalypse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NeoApocalypse

Cool! Thanks. I'll keep that in mind and if I get one, I'll only use DVD-Rs to send to my folks, just to be safe.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 07:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

I have not had any problems with the DVD-Rs created on my Pioneer unit (in either other DVD players or in my computer). This included DVD-Rs that I made for other people. They all report being able to play them. i have never burned a DVD-RW so I can't say anything about that.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

devdogaz is offline Old Post 12-06-2003 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for devdogaz Find more posts by devdogaz Add devdogaz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
devdogaz
Member in Law

My Sony 5-disc carousel DVD player (can't remember the model #) will not play burned discs of any kind. When I purchased it about 3 years ago I didn't think this would be a bid deal as I didn't even have a CD-R at the time. Now I am kicking myself...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 12-06-2003 12:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

My 6 year old RCA DVD player can play DVD+R and DVD+RW just fine, however it can not play DVD-RW. I haven't tried a DVD-R, but based on the compatibility list at dvdrhelp.com it should be able to play those just fine.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-06-2003 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Many times the ability to handle a burned disk will vary by the manufacturer of the media. Some older drives have trouble with certain colors of media (I'm referring to the data side of the media and not the label side). I remember I had a CD player which would work with yellow/gold colored media but it couldn't handle media which had a blue/green tint.

I have an old RCA DVD player that can't handle CD-R audio disks but it works just fine with CD-R/W disks -- the same is true with early models of the XBOX which have the same mechanism.

By and large, most of the DVD-R media I've seen have a purplish tint. I don't know if there are as many differences as was seen with CD-R media.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 12-06-2003 12:34 AM
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
I have an old RCA DVD player that can't handle CD-R audio disks but it works just fine with CD-R/W disks -- the same is true with early models of the XBOX which have the same mechanism.

CD-RW disk actually have a lower reflectivity which is closer to DVDs then CDs, that's why some older DVD players can read them easier.

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
By and large, most of the DVD-R media I've seen have a purplish tint. I don't know if there are as many differences as was seen with CD-R media.

The same is true of all the DVD+R media I've seen. However the RW disks have a dark silver color similar to CD-RW disks.

Dan

All with Lifetime

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kieran is offline Old Post 12-06-2003 10:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kieran Find more posts by kieran Add kieran to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kieran

I think it depends on the player you will end up playing the media on and the media itself. I burn on a Pioneer DVR106/A06 4x in -R and +R and have no issue on any machine built in the last couple of years. -R is a better bet with older machines.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged