TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "Ed" and that pesky guide data <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DavidS is offline Old Post 02-22-2001 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DavidS Visit DavidS's homepage! Find more posts by DavidS Add DavidS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DavidS
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking "Ed" and that pesky guide data

As those who watch Ed know, NBC broadcast the same new episode twice this week, Tuesday and Wednesday. My D-TiVo properly recorded the Tuesday showing, but to my surprise, it was also recording the Wednesday showing last night. I looked at the guides and the only difference was that the second said "repeat" at the end. That was enough, I guess for D-TiVo to read it as a different episode (I don't have first run only selected.) Obviously not TiVo's fault - garbage in garbage out.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gpg is offline Old Post 02-22-2001 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gpg Find more posts by gpg Add gpg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpg

Talking

Well I do have an "ED" season pass running on a first-run only basis, but my DirecTivo started to record last night's repeat after already recording the Tuesday showing. OTOH, I didn't notice a "repeat" designation in my guide, so maybe that's why it thought it was a new episode.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grins is offline Old Post 02-22-2001 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grins Find more posts by grins Add grins to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grins

Talking

I'm not sure about the repeat/first fun thing, but my directivo recorded the Tuesday night showing on my local NBC feed, channel 5 (which is what the season pass says), but was recording the Wednesday showing from the national NBC feed (like channel 362 or whatever), which I don't receive. I'm honestly not sure if it was recording it from the season pass or as a suggestion (which might explain the channel I don't receive thing), since I didn't wait for the end. I first freaked out, immediately dumped the black screen recording and started recording on channel 5, then realized it was a repeat and dumped that, too. If I bail on the recordings, do they still appear in history? I could check if the national feed one was due to season pass or suggestion.

t

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2001 12:09 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dpgreene

Talking

I had exactly the same experience -- D-TIVO recording Tues. Ed on local NBC properly, then recording same episode on national NBC affiliate on Wednesday (which I don't receive, of course). And I, too, freaked out, canceled the recording immediately, switched to the local affiliate, restarted the recording, and then checked to make sure West Wing and Law and Order were being recorded off the local (not national) NBC feed (they were). Very disturbing.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alexcue is offline Old Post 02-23-2001 06:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alexcue Find more posts by alexcue Add alexcue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alexcue

Cool

I find it interesting that my Dtivo did the same thing and recorded it twice, as it was listed twice in my to do list. But my SA with 2.0 processed it properly. Says something about the new version doesn't it...

------------------
Most toys wins!!!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DavidS is offline Old Post 02-23-2001 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DavidS Visit DavidS's homepage! Find more posts by DavidS Add DavidS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DavidS
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by alexcue:
I find it interesting that my Dtivo did the same thing and recorded it twice, as it was listed twice in my to do list. But my SA with 2.0 processed it properly. Says something about the new version doesn't it...

Or it may be the difference in guide data between D-TiVo and whatever source your SA recorded from.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2001 08:15 AM
sirshagg

Question

Wasn't there a bug where the first run, repeat options were being ignored?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2001 09:23 AM
sethaniel

Talking

Actually, TiVo doesn't use the guide information that you see when you look at the display. It has codes that it uses to determine whether a showing is a first run or a repeat.

Sometimes Tribune doesn't enter the correct information, so TiVo doesn't make the correct decision about first run vs repeat.

------------------
-Seth

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alexcue is offline Old Post 02-24-2001 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alexcue Find more posts by alexcue Add alexcue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alexcue

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by DavidS:
Or it may be the difference in guide data between D-TiVo and whatever source your SA recorded from.

It might be the guide data, as i don't claim to be an expert on APG and the SA guide, but the source is the same, Dtv. I suspect that that 2.01 may be slightly more refined in handling the data, but i have no proof other than the way it handled Ed.

------------------
Most toys wins!!!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-24-2001 03:19 AM
RonV

Talking

I am having the same type of problems with programs on BBC America, Fox News, and other stations. What I have had to do is set up a manual record for day and time.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged