TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.1 for Mac OS X (beta) <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tefler is offline Old Post 12-19-2003 08:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tefler Find more posts by tefler Add tefler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tefler

JavaHMO 1.1 for Mac OS X (beta)

Note: I now have enough folks for the initial beta. I'll open it to a much wider audience once all the initial bugs are resolved.

---------
Original Message:

I have most of the kinks worked out of the Mac OS X install for JavaHMO and would like to have a few folks beta test it.

Before you volunteer, please note that I would prefer to have people who are at least a little comfortable in a unix shell as the testing will most likely require running some commands when problems occur.

Apple just released the final version of the JAI libraries which JavaHMO requires. Unfortunately, Apple has put a requirement of 10.3.1 or later on the install of that. So, you must be running panther. You can obtain JAI from http://www.apple.com/java/.

Please PM me if you are interested in testing. My plan is to have a package ready to test by Monday.

Again, you *must* be running Panther (10.3.1 or later). Also, you need to already have purchased HMO for your TiVo. Both of these items are required to use javaHMO on OS X.

[Edited to reiterate requirements]

Last edited by tefler on 12-23-2003 at 11:08 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

travishill is offline Old Post 12-20-2003 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for travishill Find more posts by travishill Add travishill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
travishill

Working AAC support into JavaHMO

Seems like JavaHMO would be a great place to use QuickTime for Java to convert both protected and unprotected AAC files to MP3. Assuming that JavaHMO is running on an authorized machine, I believe this would work- you may have to make the intermediate step of an AIFF prior to hitting MP3 though.

Obviously there would be a delay as people selected such songs to be played (while the conversion to a temporary file happened) but it would be a nice work around for the time being until true AAC support arrives.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-20-2003 11:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tefler Find more posts by tefler Add tefler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tefler

Re: Working AAC support into JavaHMO

quote:
Originally posted by travishill
Seems like JavaHMO would be a great place to use QuickTime for Java to convert both protected and unprotected AAC files to MP3. Assuming that JavaHMO is running on an authorized machine, I believe this would work- you may have to make the intermediate step of an AIFF prior to hitting MP3 though.

Obviously there would be a delay as people selected such songs to be played (while the conversion to a temporary file happened) but it would be a nice work around for the time being until true AAC support arrives.

I agree - JavaHMO would provide the pluggable infrastructure to support that. If you would like to write the code to do the conversion, I can help you get JavaHMO setup to develop it.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 12-22-2003 07:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

Well, I'm only running 10.2.8 so count me out Plus I'm not UNIX familiar either.

Will the final released version of JavaHMO require Panther too?

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-22-2003 10:43 AM
tefler

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222
Well, I'm only running 10.2.8 so count me out Plus I'm not UNIX familiar either.

Will the final released version of JavaHMO require Panther too?

Yes, but not because of a limitation in JavaHMO.

JavaHMO requires JAI (Java Advanced Imaging). Apple's release of JAI is only available for Panther.

If you have a JAI implementation for Jaguar, then I would guess that JavaHMO will work with it, but I haven't found one yet..

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 12-22-2003 05:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222

Oh well, I guess I have a reason to upgrade now

I'm in no hurry, I'll wait until this project is further along. Although I really liked what I saw when I tried it on my Win laptop.

Thanks!

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkeyport is offline Old Post 12-25-2003 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkeyport Find more posts by bkeyport Add bkeyport to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkeyport

<Wendys Commerical> Where's the beta? </WC>

Seriousiously - something come up to delay it? I was really excited about taking a look at it.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-25-2003 09:41 PM
tefler

quote:
Originally posted by bkeyport
<Wendys Commerical> Where's the beta? </WC>

Seriousiously - something come up to delay it? I was really excited about taking a look at it.

Nothing delaying it. I sent a note on Monday night already to those folks that PM'ed me and told them where they can find it. I'm not releasing it to the general public yet until I at least have seen it install ok on a few different folks machines.

I haven't heard back from any of them as of yet, so I figure either:

a) The beta blew up their machines and they now have no way to communicate.
b) Have it working perfectly and are busy playing around with it
c) Trying to enjoy the holiday with their families and friends

I'm guessing its C since thats what I'm doing.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

machem is offline Old Post 12-26-2003 11:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for machem Find more posts by machem Add machem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
machem

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by tefler
Nothing delaying it. I sent a note on Monday night already to those folks that PM'ed me and told them where they can find it. I'm not releasing it to the general public yet until I at least have seen it install ok on a few different folks machines.

I haven't heard back from any of them as of yet, so I figure either:

a) The beta blew up their machines and they now have no way to communicate.
b) Have it working perfectly and are busy playing around with it
c) Trying to enjoy the holiday with their families and friends

I'm guessing its C since thats what I'm doing.

How about d) Never recieved a "where to get it" from you? The last message I got from you said "sometime on Monday", but I figured you got sidetracked.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 12-29-2003 05:13 AM
cwoody222

Well, I upgraded to Panther today. So...can I play?

I'm not UNIX-familiar but hopefully I can help test anyway. You know how to PM me...

(please please please)

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkeyport is offline Old Post 12-29-2003 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkeyport Find more posts by bkeyport Add bkeyport to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkeyport

I still have yet to see anything on it.

-- added --
and at this point, I don't care to.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-29-2003 09:38 AM
tefler

I am trying hard to get things to a point where it will be ok for an average user to install them. However, at the moment, I want to make sure folks have the skill level to go in and fix things (at the unix level) if the installer does anything bad.

Please remember that efforts such as this are done on people's personal time. While I know some folks are very excited to see an OS X version of javaHMO, I'd like to ask that you please be patient and I will try to put it together as quickly as possible.

Currently, I am working on incorporating some of the feedback that a couple of the folks have sent me already.

For those that do not want to wait, the source code to javaHMO is available up on the javahmo.sourceforge.net website. I've made minimal changes to that and have instead been concentrating on making the user experience slightly more mac friendly.

As for those that had previously asked for the beta and had not received any info, I believe that I responded to everyone that PMed me. If I missed you, I apologize.

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222
Well, I upgraded to Panther today. So...can I play?

I'm not UNIX-familiar but hopefully I can help test anyway. You know how to PM me...

(please please please)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 12-29-2003 08:44 PM
cwoody222

I don't want to hurt my newly-installed Panther so I guess it'd be best if I wait.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

blybug is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 06:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for blybug Visit blybug's homepage! Find more posts by blybug Add blybug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blybug

so...

is anything else happening with this??

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

yes

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 01:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

No offense, I love JavaHMO but it doesn't interface very well with the albums I have set up in iPhoto and that's one of the main reasons I bought HMO from TiVo. How does one go about uninstalling JavaHMO?

AirPort Express

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 11:35 AM
tefler

quote:
Originally posted by iDriveX
No offense, I love JavaHMO but it doesn't interface very well with the albums I have set up in iPhoto and that's one of the main reasons I bought HMO from TiVo. How does one go about uninstalling JavaHMO?

That is a definite disadvantage of JavaHMO at the moment. Right now, I have just been concentrating on getting the existing features to be stable and the packaging to be more mac-like.

I'm planning on opening the beta up at the end of next week and it will also include all my changes to the existing 1.1 code (very little) and build/config process (mostly where the changes were needed).

If anyone is interested in writing that code, let me know and i'll give you what I have right away. Otherwise, I will take a crack at it once my time frees up some more again (had a lot more time when I started working on all this a few weeks ago).

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 01:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

JavaHMO is so incredibly complex. It's amazing you guys have gotten it this far. I hope TiVo takes a small cue from you guys and increases the functionality of their own HMO app to do these types of things.

AirPort Express

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 12:16 AM
tefler

Unfortunately, I can't take any credit for any of the hard work that went into creating javahmo. I am merely taking the work of the real developers (user 'javahmo' and others) and make it work on OS X.

However, I am sure they appreciate your comments.

quote:
Originally posted by iDriveX
JavaHMO is so incredibly complex. It's amazing you guys have gotten it this far. I hope TiVo takes a small cue from you guys and increases the functionality of their own HMO app to do these types of things.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Loki is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 05:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Loki Find more posts by Loki Add Loki to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loki

I'll take a look at adding AAC to the mix. I just started purchasing from iTunes and needed and excuse to buy 10.3. Strangley enough it looks like I only have a week of travel scheduled this month so I may actually get something done. I'll be back once I have a lay of the land.

In other news what's the demand for MFSTools on OSX? Now that there is an ext2 driver available for OSX and I already have the KEXT for reading and mounting a Tivo drive it should be a fairly easy port if the MFSTools folks are willing to cooperate.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged