TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Does Tivo help Apple users at all? NO! <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bedelman is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 12:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

I have a TiVo that runs between 25% and 32% with no problems (although it has a static IP address)

You should be fine with the LinkSys. Apple doesn't make any wireless USB adapters. What adapter is on your TiVo? For curiosity, what's the IP address on your Powerbook?

No relation to Deb Edelman that I know of, but you never know...

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Media1 is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 12:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Media1 Find more posts by Media1 Add Media1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Media1

LinkSys adapter

I have a LinkSys adapter connected to my Tivo and a LinkSys router, which connects my Mac to the cable modem.

My Mac's IP address is 192.168.1.100, which is close enough to the Tivo IP address (192.168.1.101), correct?

Any suggestions how to stabilize the connection between the Mac & Tivo (for good pings)?

Does this entirely explain why no server appears in Tivo's Music & Photos?
I feel stuck between Tivo & Apple no man's land, where each one blames the other.

Or could it be a problem with LinkSys and/or multiple Wi-Fi/cordless phone zones in my apartment building?

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 12:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

There's a Mac OSX application to find other wireless networks in your vicinity. Here's the one I use -- http://www.macstumbler.com . It's freeware and you obviously have to use it on a Mac running with a wireless connection.

Run it and if you see other wireless networks named "LinkSys", you should consider changing the name of yours to something else. Also if the other networks are on the same channel as you, change yours to a different channel -- channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap at all.

Obviously if you change settings on your LinkSys wireless router, you will have to re-select it from the wireless devices that need to access it.

I really think this is a networking problem and not really related to either TiVo or Apple (yet). If there are other networks in your area, your TiVo and/or your powerbook could be phasing from one "linksys" network to another.

You may not have seen this previously because the other network (presuming that one exists) is new.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Media1 is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 12:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Media1 Find more posts by Media1 Add Media1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Media1

Good info

Good info...how long does macstumbler take to run?
It's been running for ~5min and no diagnostic scan result has appeared.

If this is a persistent unsolvable problem, I guess using a fixed line connection could be one solution.
I don't mind learning about this stuff, and you've been extremely helpful, but this technical detail seems beyond the scope of most people.
But this could be 1 more hurdle that prevents Tivo from being a mass-market product.

Are the cable companies far behind in offering a similar Home Media Option?

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bootedbear is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 12:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bootedbear Find more posts by bootedbear Add bootedbear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bootedbear
JavaJunkie

More info from my front (just in case it's any help).

I just finished connecting my 2nd TiVo to the network using a wireless (Netgear) adpater. The base station is an older Apple airport.

At first I could not get it to successfully connect. But when I switched from using the plain-text password to the hex password, it started working.

Signal strength was only 40% but appears to work fine (other than inter-TiVo transfers are very slow -- as in slower-than-real-time slow).

bear

P.S. We have our airport set up with 128-bit encryption and limited to known MAC addresses so the airport itself needed setup as well.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Media1 is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 12:50 PM
Media1

Tivo adapter?

thanks bear,

Apologies for the stupid question, but is it ok to mix/match routers & adapters?

I've been thinking about buying the Apple Extreme Airport router (802.11g) to replace the LinkSys 802.11b, but I'm not sure if it'll talk to the LinkSys adapter connected to the Tivo.
Call me a novice on this stuff.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Media1 is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 12:56 PM
Media1

hi bob,
just curious...what's the apple program equivalent of the macstumbler?

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aforkosh is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 01:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aforkosh Find more posts by aforkosh Add aforkosh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aforkosh

Do you have access control via MAC address turned on in your wireless router? If so, you will need to add the Tivo adapter's MAC address to the list for it to be seen by wired links.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Tivo adapter?

quote:
Originally posted by Media1
I've been thinking about buying the Apple Extreme Airport router (802.11g) to replace the LinkSys 802.11b, but I'm not sure if it'll talk to the LinkSys adapter connected to the Tivo.
Call me a novice on this stuff.

Our wireless TiVo uses a LinkSys WUSB11 (v2.6) to connect to an Apple AirPort (Ivory) -- no problem.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 09:43 PM
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
hi bob,
just curious...what's the apple program equivalent of the macstumbler?

There are other programs but Apple doesn't produce one. Macstumbler can only find wireless networks where the SSID is being published (an "open" network versus a "closed" network). There are other applications that are more technically involved which can find a "closed" network.

Are you running your LinkSys router in a "closed" network mode where the SSID isn't being broadcast?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-28-2003 09:51 PM
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: Good info

quote:
Good info...how long does macstumbler take to run?
It's been running for ~5min and no diagnostic scan result has appeared.

It should show any wireless networks it can find in less than 30 seconds. You may want to move your powerbook around to see what it can find
quote:
I don't mind learning about this stuff, and you've been extremely helpful, but this technical detail seems beyond the scope of most people.
But this could be 1 more hurdle that prevents Tivo from being a mass-market product.

For most people the networking isn't this difficult. However there are always cases that are more challenging
quote:
Are the cable companies far behind in offering a similar Home Media Option?

Not of which I've heard, but I can't even get my cable company to diagnose a problem when I tell them what it is. For example, I couldn't get anything from channels 24 to 42. I knew from past experience it was a blown filter out at the cable box in the back yard. But they had to run down their list first (yes -- it's on all the televisions; no -- it's not the cable box; etc.). Even so, it still took them a week to send a person out to correct it (and it's a five minute job)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

msadesign is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 08:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for msadesign Visit msadesign's homepage! Find more posts by msadesign Add msadesign to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msadesign

Wow. You guys are really hummin'.

If I understood correctly, there is a router/switch, and there is a wireless device plugged into the router/switch, then there is a USB adapter at the Tivo. If this is correct, I can refer you to a thread I had with Asante that solved all of my [identical] problems:

asante.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1406

By the way, when I spoke to support at Tivo (the voice activation servies they have are amazing!), he was not familier with 'Asante' as a brand name and so was quick to point out it would be unsupported. Keep in mind that this is just tcp/ip and it's a little deeper than we Mac-people are used to, but not THAT much deeper, and these problems do resolve.

HTH,

Michael Spencer

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged