TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Is HMO worth it? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
voorson is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 04:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for voorson Find more posts by voorson Add voorson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
voorson

Is HMO worth it?

Is this option worth the $99?? I love music and pictures and have a lot of both. Does it work well?? I am hooked up wireless and have a good connection. Do you have streaming problems or anything else.

Thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

It works great!

Whether it's worth it or not is up to you.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guinness1759 is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 10:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guinness1759 Find more posts by Guinness1759 Add Guinness1759 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guinness1759

if you have your music as mp3's you will love it.

the quality is fantastic.

GET IT!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ultrajones is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 10:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ultrajones Visit ultrajones's homepage! Find more posts by ultrajones Add ultrajones to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ultrajones
Thread Killer

I have my Tivo connected via 802.11b. It displays pictures and music just fine. In its current form, it is certainly not worth the $99.00 price tag. Wait for a discounted rate before buying.

Regards,
Ultrajones

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

voorson is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for voorson Find more posts by voorson Add voorson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
voorson

That was kind of my take. The price is too steep for those 3 options. I can play my music on my DVD and it will sound just as good. And pictures can be looked at anywhere. $99 is too much.

I love TiVo so far, but some of the prices are too much

Is there a free trial? If so, I can not find it

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guinness1759 is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guinness1759 Find more posts by Guinness1759 Add Guinness1759 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guinness1759

$99 seems super reasonable to me. Being able to access all your music and playlists as well as view your entire photo library ona full screen makes total sense.

Plus once you get a second tivo you can stream shows between the two units. And the seconc HMO only costs you $50.

I just think of my HMO as one night out to dinner I did not do and then get the bennefits of having all my media in any room i have tivo. It beats the heck out of running an audio cable an running back to your computer to change songs.

Some companies are asking a lot more for similar functiality.

www.roku.com

this is the original replattv team i worked with that is developing a high end HMO box.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 11:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

There's a 30 day free trial, but you have to call (I believe) to cancel.

Also its $99 for the first TiVo and $50 for each additional TiVo.

As to is it worth it? That depends on what you do. If you just listen to music and photos, its probably not worth it (for $50 you can do the same thing with on a PS2 and it plays movies as well). If you do a lot of remote scheduling and/or TiVo to TiVo transfers it may be worth it.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 11:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by morac
There's a 30 day free trial, but you have to call (I believe) to cancel.
Actually, there's a 30-day money back guarantee. Not exactly a free trial, but you can ask for a refund within the 30 days.
quote:
Also its $99 for the first TiVo and $50 for each additional TiVo.
Actually, it's $49 for the additional TiVo units after the first one.

I initially didn't think I would use the Music & Photos feature at all. I got HMO for the remote scheduling and the transfers (because I had more than one TiVo). However, I've found that I've used Music & Photos much more than I expected and I have found HMO to be worth the investment.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider
TiVo Forum Special Member

Add one more vote to what Bob said.

I originally wanted Multi-Room Viewing, but after having the baby and taking hundreds of digital pictures, it is nice to have family/friends sit comfortably on the couch to view them all.

After getting an Ipod last year and ripping my collection as MP3's it was nice to have all that music available on my home theater as well. And since I have HMO on both units I have access to my music collection in both the Living Room and Bedroom.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

voorson is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 01:13 AM
voorson

With I-Tunes, do you need to transfer everything to MP3 to make them work?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 01:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

TiVo Desktop for Mac OSX only works with MP3 files. AAC support was mentioned over six months ago -- and rumored that it was in the works. Many of us have given up and are re-ripping iTunes Music Store purchased music into MP3 files.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

I bought my HMO with the thought that there would be an High-Def SA TiVo. Oh well.... that's what I get for buying bleeding edge stuff. I do like it for my bedroom SA because if I hear someone talking about a show at work, I can jump online and set my TiVo to record it in case I don't get home in time.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

voorson is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 05:01 AM
voorson

My thought was to hook all of this into my home theater and it SHOULD sound great. Is that not true??

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider

quote:
Originally posted by voorson
My thought was to hook all of this into my home theater and it SHOULD sound great. Is that not true??

Sounds good on my system, everything ripped at 160.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink

FWIW, I use and enjoy all 4 features of HMO a lot more than I thought I would. I was mainly interested in show sharing, but we use the three other features a fair amount as well.
There is a free trial coming up in the middle of this month - I think it would be worth your time to pick up a network adapter and give it a shot. As long as you buy from a store that has a good return policy, it won't cost you anything but a little time.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Beavis is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Beavis Find more posts by Beavis Add Beavis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beavis

I agree with Ccrink. Our music all comes from the computer now THROUGH the TiVo. It's awesome. We also transfer shows from the kids TiVo to ours or vice-versa. We use HMO every day.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott

1) HMO served music sounds just fine on our home theater system from the TiVo sounds goes to a Marantz SR 9200.

2) Multi Room Viewing (program transfer within an single network) has been very helpful in letting us resolve schedule conflicts. For us this is the most used single feature.

3 A feature we have enjoyed with HMO is serving photos from our Mac (works with PC as well) to our grand kids in California which they can watch on their TV/TiVo setup. You simply enter the IP address of the serving Computer on the Music/Photos screen of the receiving TiVo.

For us the $99 + 59 has been well worth it.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Brianz28 is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Brianz28 Find more posts by Brianz28 Add Brianz28 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brianz28

I like the idea, but would like to be able to serve video also over the network without another TiVo. I think I'll wait.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brendenp is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brendenp Find more posts by brendenp Add brendenp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brendenp

Giddy-up!

Buy-it, its worth the $99. I sold my 5-disc CD changer for $75 in September to put towards the cost (Its 3 years old, I havent played a CD in 2 years)

The option I use most is the digital photo show. Im a 35mm fanatic, and have a photo scanner, so I only select the best shots to put up and show folks. Its certainly more convenient than pulling out the albumn, and now you can bore a whole room full of people all at once, instead of working the crowd, showing the same baby picture 20 times.

All I need now, is the ability to play my home-movies through it....

NOTE: Those with digital cameras, resist the urge to publish EVERY photo you take, simply 'because you can'... In photography, its quality, not quantity...

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

msadesign is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 04:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for msadesign Visit msadesign's homepage! Find more posts by msadesign Add msadesign to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msadesign

is it worth it? I dunno.

Dissapointments: remote scheduling is really lame. What I want is a remote view of the Tivo setups, showing the Season Passes, etc.; what you get is the opportunity to search for shows. You cannot tell if you have already marked a show for recording and you can't change priority. I use the Yahoo grid next to the remote screen, but it's a poor way to do it.

iTunes does not show the TiVo as logged in (a small point, to be sure, but important especiallly if your Mac is really remote, like mine is, in a different building). You can't stream mp3 radio stations, and this is something that I really would like to see.

This is not an HMO issue, but: channel switching is really, really slow.

Hits: support for iTunes is awesome. I don't have another TiVo yet so cannot report on the way two units are controlled. Once you get the correct wireless units, setup is easy, and robust; I am showing 40% signal strength and no problems (I know there's not much data on download, but there IS on streaming, so there's some technology there smoothing things out). My Powerbook chokes on this signal strength. I DID have to get a Microsoft adapter, a tough thing for a Mac user! it works, though.

So. Am I gonna ask for my money back? no, I think I'll keep it, as it gives me admission to whine about it :-) and I love having iTunes on my AVR 7000.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged