TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> More NBC shows to start a minute early (causing more conflicts!) <<<

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
laurel is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 08:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for laurel Visit laurel's homepage! Find more posts by laurel Add laurel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
laurel

Angry More NBC shows to start a minute early (causing more conflicts!)

Most of you are probably familiar with how NBC has been starting ER a minute early for months now. And they've had weird start/end times for other shows in their Thursday night lineup. This has caused folks with season passes for both CSI & ER some extra work, but one can work around that conflict.

The bad news is, while looking at NBC's schedule for the next two weeks, I discovered that NBC is now gonna start lots more shows a minute early.

Shows that will start a minute early include: Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Ed (after it makes the move to Friday nights), The Apprentice, Average Joe: Hawaii, and Las Vegas.

If you have season passes for any of these shows, you'll want to visit your "To Do List" and look at "View Recording History" and watch for those conflicts.

I've got conflicts myself between Joan of Arcadia and Ed, The O.C. and Law & Order, 24 and Law & Order: SVU, and lots more.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rasheed is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 08:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rasheed Find more posts by rasheed Add rasheed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rasheed
Advanced Member

We already have a thread for this that can be used for reference and latest updates:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=150248

It contains all of the date/time slots where NBC time variations will likey cause SP or ARWL problems.

Rasheed

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daveyg013 is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 09:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daveyg013 Find more posts by daveyg013 Add daveyg013 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daveyg013

Thanks. I just canceled my Average Joe season pass because it was too annoying to deal with. Good job NBC, you've already lost one Average Joe viewer! I'm going to give The Apprentice a shot, but it will have a short leash because of the crazy start times.

Also, as an advertiser, I'm very concerned for my client's best interest. NBC is going to be alienating some of their viewers if they keep this up. I may launch a formal complaint to them on behalf of my advertising agency and client.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

laurel is offline Old Post 01-02-2004 09:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for laurel Visit laurel's homepage! Find more posts by laurel Add laurel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
laurel

Thanks, Rasheed.

I looked around for other discussions of this and didn't find any (via search or otherwise), sorry to be repetitive. Haven't had time to hang around this forum in a while. 'Course this is the sort of thing that might bear repeating or at least to be a sticky topic or something in a FAQ. Especially if becomes a regular thing with NBC (it looks like it may, unless a lot of people protest in the coming weeks).

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

f0gax is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for f0gax Find more posts by f0gax Add f0gax to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
f0gax

This is not an attack on Tivo folks. Sorry to ruin the lynching.

1) NBC has an investment in Tivo. Anything that hurts Tivo, has a negative effect on that investment.
2) Sadly enough, most TV viewers don't have Tivo or even a PVR. Does anyone really belive that NBC gains anything by pissing off a couple hundred thousand people?
3) Most people know when "their" shows are on by the major hour or half hour. They tune in at 10 PM on Thursday for ER, or 9 PM on for CSI. Long time viewers of ER in particular know that the first minute is just a recap anyway, so what are you missing? Those who watch both without a PVR are just going to watch CSI until it's over and then switch to ER.

What this appears to be is a way to make a few extra bucks on advertising. That extra minute equates to from 1 to 4 more commercials that they can sell. If that minute goes for $100,000 then over the course of a 26 episode season that's $2.6 million. Not too shabby for not really changing anything except the published start time.

I will say this though, if this idea spreads to another network, then Tivo does need to look at the negative padding solution.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dt_dc is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 04:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dt_dc Find more posts by dt_dc Add dt_dc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Rough calculation based on the add rates listed at the following page (and a few sample recent/upcoming scheduales), NBC's few extra minutes (on shows with higher add rates) and a few less minutes (on shows with lower add rates) adds up to just a little under one million per week additional revenue:

http://www.enewszone.com/tv/news/1066114147.html

Note: The above link is loaded with pop-ups and other garbage. Apolgies. A better source (less pop-ups) would certainly be appreciated.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteakMan is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteakMan Find more posts by SteakMan Add SteakMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteakMan
TiVo Forum Special Member

It isn't being done for more commercial space, they could just take a minute from inside the show.

And there is nothing "Anti-PVR" about it, they are USING the technology to force you to choose. People who don't understand padding, or just don't want to bother, will have to choose between CSI and ER. If they choose ER, their PVR will be free to record whatever is on before it.

-SteakMan-

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteakMan is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 04:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteakMan Find more posts by SteakMan Add SteakMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteakMan

Oh! and I bet it messes up folks that use VCR+ also.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spanishannouncetable is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 06:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spanishannouncetable Visit spanishannouncetable's homepage! Find more posts by spanishannouncetable Add spanishannouncetable to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spanishannouncetable
This space for rent

Location: Mount Airy, NC (better known as Mayberry - yes, THAT Mayberry)

2 DirecTiVos
4 different channels recording at the same time, if necessary
3 feeds for each network (locals + NY & LA distants)

BRING IT ON, NBC

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Can VCR+ even handle time increments smaller than 5 minutes? Tribune couldn't for a long time.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

quote:
Originally posted by spanishannouncetable
2 DirecTiVos
4 different channels recording at the same time, if necessary
3 feeds for each network (locals + NY & LA distants)

BRING IT ON, NBC

7 DirecTiVos
14 different channels recording at the same time, if necessary
0 feeds for NBC as I don't watch a damned thing on it!

HASSLE-FREE SCHEDULING!

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JTAnderson is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 12:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JTAnderson Find more posts by JTAnderson Add JTAnderson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JTAnderson

I've done my part. I lowered the priority of all NBC SPs/Wishlists below those for CBS and ABC.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivownerSeriesII is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivownerSeriesII Find more posts by TivownerSeriesII Add TivownerSeriesII to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivownerSeriesII

I have my media center PC and my ultimate tv hooked up so I have three different sources to choose from.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TrippKnightly is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 06:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TrippKnightly Find more posts by TrippKnightly Add TrippKnightly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TrippKnightly

And still as of this posting the only explanations I've seen for NBC's actions are based on conjecture (some sound, some less so). Nothing official or authoritative.

I want to know definitively & specifically why NBC is doing it before getting all lathered up about it.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bicker is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 06:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bicker Visit bicker's homepage! Find more posts by bicker Add bicker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bicker

Great point, Tripp. There is no reliable information that would indicate that what they're doing isn't in the best interests of their owners.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 06:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000

quote:
Originally posted by TrippKnightly
And still as of this posting the only explanations I've seen for NBC's actions are based on conjecture (some sound, some less so). Nothing official or authoritative.

I want to know definitively & specifically why NBC is doing it before getting all lathered up about it.

I don't give a rat's behind why NBC is doing it. I'm fairly sure they're not doing it for altruistic reasons, or because somebody's holding the President of NBC hostage. And I'm fairly sure every move NBC makes in scheduling is geared to getting better ratings.

But all ll I know for certain is that it affects me in a negative way, and that's one of the reasons why I'm watching less NBC programming.

listen
get

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sinistan is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 08:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sinistan Find more posts by sinistan Add sinistan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sinistan

What is the big deal with this scheduling? Doesn't the season pass stuff just record the start/stop time which triggers the recording when it should start? So if the tivo thinks it's going to start something at say 8:00pm, and it comes on at 7:59 relative to the tivo's clock, wouldn't you just miss ~ 1 minute. Is that a big deal? Same for vcr+ codes. I know we have a tv that has guide+ built into it (similar to tivo but free), and it also controls a vcr with a remote IR, simply telling it to start recording based on certain times. If they actually start it 1 minute or so early, it still works (at least I know the guide+/ tv combo we have does), just will miss the half-minute to 1 minute of the show. Same is true if your clock is off as well (just like manually programming a vcr).
Now, I don't have that problem with my SA tivo I got. I just don't have the sub and manually set the start/stop time recording myself. This works great for me because I don't watch that many shows and know when they usually come on. If that changes, I'll see it in the sat guide or can look it up on guide+ (or the internet).

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 08:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by sinistan
What is the big deal with this scheduling? Doesn't the season pass stuff just record the start/stop time which triggers the recording when it should start? So if the tivo thinks it's going to start something at say 8:00pm, and it comes on at 7:59 relative to the tivo's clock, wouldn't you just miss ~ 1 minute. Is that a big deal?

The problem is that TiVo knows it starts at 7:59 and thus the show that is scheduled from 7:59-9pm will conflict with something on from 7-8pm. Depending on your priority list one of these will not record.

TiVo has an option to record starting x min early but does not have one for recording starting x min late. I would suggest they need an option to record starting on the 30min marks regardless of official start times.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rasheed is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 10:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rasheed Find more posts by rasheed Add rasheed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rasheed
Advanced Member

Most of the other newspaper guides are just rounding to the nearest :00 or :30 I noticed for NBC's schedule.

Rasheed

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 11:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

I don't think NBC is doing it to make extra advertising money on their better shows, because if ER is scheduled to start at 9:59, i'm sure that there's not a commercial at 9:59, it's probably the start of the show.

Starting a show early makes no sense really.

Now, most of the time NBC ends Friends at 8:32, which makes total sense, because they want people to stick with NBC for the weaker (after Scrubs moved) 8:30 show.

But, especially with ER, you would think that they would start it later, so the #1 show on TV ends before ER starts.

CBS should definately end CSI at 10:02 to screw with NBC.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged