TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> TiVo Press Conference <<<

Pages (9): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Philosofy is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Philosofy Find more posts by Philosofy Add Philosofy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

AstroPHX, I don't think Dave would create a whole new forum in this TiVo sponsered area without checking with TiVo first, or being urged to by TiVo.

The voices in my head are screaming.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Will it continue to have a coax RF-Out jack so that I can send analog TiVo video to other TVs in the house like I do now? If so, will it automatically downconvert HD to analog on all outgoing analog jacks such as S-Video, composite, and coax?

Also, any chance it will be able to phone home over broadband Internet instead of using a telephone connection?

It will NOT simultaneously output a downconverted signal to the analog outputs when displaying a HD signal. Sort of a bummer, and apparently it's a hardware limitation with the chipset.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 11:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
It will NOT simultaneously output a downconverted signal to the analog outputs when displaying a HD signal. Sort of a bummer, and apparently it's a hardware limitation with the chipset.

Alas a use for our old... SD TiVos

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markp99 is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for markp99 Find more posts by markp99 Add markp99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markp99
TakoKichi

quote:
Originally posted by arbywon
Wow! How? Where?

I just looked at my channel setup and guide setup and I don't see HD channels or any way to turn them on. Where should I look?

You'll need to re-run setup to select the correct channel Lineup. Mine is called "Digital Extended Basic", or something similar...

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

arbywon is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 12:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for arbywon Find more posts by arbywon Add arbywon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arbywon

Thanks markp99,

I am redoing setup now. I see the HD channels are the "real" channel numbers (presumably, to get arround the dash/dot blaster problem). I can live with that. .

I installed my Samsung HD ts-160 a year ago and only sporadically checked this forum. I need to look more often!

Ron

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 12:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah

So how am I supposed to use it for the rest of the house like I do now?

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

That is a bummer. I specifically chose my current HD receiver (Samsung SIR-T160) because it could output SD and HD at the same time, to be fed to other TVs.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 12:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
I'm hoping that it'll be possible to easily switch with a remote control. Ideally there would be discrete IR codes for each output format, but as long as it's possible to do it somehow with the remote it should be OK (not ideal by any means). It will mean that if someone is watching the main TV in my house via one of the HD output formats, someone else in another room will not be able to watch what is playing. Luckily for my family, that isn't a common thing that we do.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RightHere is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 12:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RightHere Find more posts by RightHere Add RightHere to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RightHere

quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
The conspiracy theorist in me tells me that they made this new forum for a reason (three months early), and we'll find out in that press conference.
Didn't they win some sort of award at last year's CES? That didn't make the box materialize last year, so I wouldn't assume that the creation of this forum really means anything. I thought the press release said March. We should all take a seat and wait patiently. Yeah...patiently...RIGHT!

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
The conspiracy theorist in me tells me that they made this new forum for a reason (three months early), and we'll find out in that press conference.
Then I will be calling in to the conference and ordering

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 03:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

quote:
Originally posted by jamesmil
Any plans for digital cable (QAM) support?

So few cable companies use unscrambled QAM that this feature would be almost pointless.

Hopefully we'll see an OpenCable HDTiVo in the near future which can also do 8VSB/OTA and QAM. Then people in most markets will have a box that will survive the transition to the next set of technology.

quote:

To be blunt, get another DirecTiVo. They're like $70 now.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 03:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
To be blunt, get another DirecTiVo. They're like $70 now.

But that won't help watching programming that was recorded on the HD Tivo. Even if they DID enable the ability to watch content on one tivo that is on another, it still wouldn't help if the box that has the content you want is the HDTivo, and the other rooms have SD Tivos IF the content was recorded in HD.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 03:40 AM
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
But that won't help watching programming that was recorded on the HD Tivo. Even if they DID enable the ability to watch content on one tivo that is on another, it still wouldn't help if the box that has the content you want is the HDTivo, and the other rooms have SD Tivos IF the content was recorded in HD.

For those of us with SD TiVo and HD rec. in living room... this is already set up with SD TiVo. For places backwired from there. When HDTiVo arrives we'd just remove hi-def reciever and add HDTiVo in its place.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 03:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Is it really that hard to set the SD TiVo to record shows you intend to watch elsewhere in the household?

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 03:59 AM
Darin
Way Left

Daperlman, I don't quite follow you... I have an SD tivo and an HD receiver in my den... but I still don't see how replacing the HD receiver with the HD Tivo will allow me to simulcast HD programming from the Den to other rooms.

feldon, it's certainly not a showstopper, just a disappointment. FWIW, there are two different reasons I'd like this: some times I'll watch something in the den, and want it also in other rooms. Might be because I have a bunch of people over, or might be because I get up & go to the kitchen to make a snack, and don't want my roommate to have to sit with it paused waiting for me to get done. The other issue is simply watching programming that is stored in the den. Multiple tivos just isn't the best answer... who wants to have to maintain multiple lists? And there are networks I watch that are only available in HD.

In the end, what it's going to mean is "giving up" HD in the den when those situations arise... I'll have to switch the output of the HD-tivo to SD when I also want to watch it elsewhere. Like I said, not a HUGE deal, just would have been nice to have the feature, as it's not uncommon on other HD receivers today.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 10:24 AM
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
Daperlman, I don't quite follow you... I have an SD tivo and an HD receiver in my den... but I still don't see how replacing the HD receiver with the HD Tivo will allow me to simulcast HD programming from the Den to other rooms.

It won't, but are you other tv's HD... if not who cares? How is the SD simulcast any different. I like it better that way.

I had a sir-T160 and when it was simulcasting HD it look streched on the 4:3 (SD) monitors.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeSRC is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeSRC Visit MikeSRC's homepage! Find more posts by MikeSRC Add MikeSRC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeSRC
Tivo Veteran

Well, I saw this unit in the flesh and operating today at the CES Innovations Awards Press event. The DirecTv people demostrating it did not have answers to many of the questions (like price!). The back panel has the following: HDMI out, Component video out, S-video and composite video out, optical digital audio out, 2-channel analog audio out, 2 satellite inputs, one antenna input, phone jack, serial jack and IR jack.

They did not know if it would support an additional hard drive. No Home Media option is planned. Some aspect ratio control is available (but I couldn't get a demonstration). Hopefully, I'll find someone who knows more on Thursday. More (and pictures) to follow.

Mike

SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com
(Original SA Tivo now in its 60th month of use)

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:14 AM
feldon23
MythBuster

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Mike!!

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 01:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

No USB ports?

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

svr3kowner is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 04:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for svr3kowner Find more posts by svr3kowner Add svr3kowner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
svr3kowner
Future HD-DVR250'er!

Anyone able to confirm this info on pricing? ($499 for New Subs, $699 for Existing)????

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...499#post3158317

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged