TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> TiVo Press Conference <<<

Pages (9): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
W Auggie H is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 07:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

You know technology is a funny thing. I am a TiVo user for almost 5 years now, and one thing I have noticed is that I watch less TV. That statement although being true, needs further explanation. I watch less TV but I watch more quality content. That is the key to how TiVo has changed my viewing habits. DVD has also help change my habits but we won't get into that, but it is worth mentioning.

I started to realize that I pay a good bit of money each month to Comcast to have the ability to potentially watch 200+ digital channels, but I use only a fraction of content largely because of TiVo. Out of that fraction of content I also realized that I use the same channels over and over and the funny thing is that 85+% of those channels are ones that I could get for free if I wanted to over the air with old fashion broadcast TV. Why don't I? well because of quality? You see I have become accustom to the quality of reception that DirecTV and Digital Cable and DVD have to offer. Again it goes back to quality. Not only quality of content but quality the delivery and display of that content.

That brings us to HDTV and DTV and TiVo. As I looked more into the push for OTA digital and HDTV I found it increasingly interesting. Most of the stations that I watch on a regular basis are currently being broadcast digitally free over the air in Atlanta. But there is no inexpensive way to actually watch any of those channels, but I want to watch them! Now I am starting see why the FCC is push so hard for the industry to make equipment that is compatible with these signals.

I started to realize a few months back about how wonderful it could potentially be if or when TiVo finally came out with a SA TiVo box that was capable of receiving and recording OTA Digital/HDTV signal. Given what I have already described I would then be able to watch for free almost all the stations that I really care about in a quality that is better than I get now. The picture is starting to get clear for me. This is why I am now waiting like many other to hear what TiVo has to say tomorrow during the press conference. I believe this HDTiVo product is as important or more important than TiVo signing a big cable contract. I am starting see a new rebellion starting to take shape. I will gladly lend my services to this new HDTiVo army. Who is with me?

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by W Auggie H
That brings us to HDTV and DTV and TiVo. As I looked more into the push for OTA digital and HDTV I found it increasingly interesting. Most of the stations that I watch on a regular basis are currently being broadcast digitally free over the air in Atlanta. But there is no inexpensive way to actually watch any of those channels, but I want to watch them! Now I am starting see why the FCC is push so hard for the industry to make equipment that is compatible with these signals.

what expense do you find unacceptable?

Most of us in Atlanta that care about HD have an HD, DTV (gets OTA also) receiver along with an SD TiVo. HD channels on DTV (including ESPN-HD) are only 10.99/ mo. extra. And the free channels include NBC, ABC, CBS, TBS, UPN, and WB so far (Fox (WAGA) supposedly will be 720p this year).

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
The back panel has the following: HDMI out, Component video out, S-video and composite video out, optical digital audio out, 2-channel analog audio out, 2 satellite inputs, one antenna input, phone jack, serial jack and IR jack.

People have talked about how HDMI is backward compatible with DVI.. what exactly would you call that adapter?

Edit: I think I have got it. I didn't see adapter but I see they have HDMI-DVI wires that support HDCP like this one
http://www2.dvigear.com/dvihdmi2mcable.html

Last edited by daperlman on 01-07-2004 at 07:58 PM

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
Originally posted by daperlman
what expense do you find unacceptable?

Most of us in Atlanta that care about HD have an HD, DTV (gets OTA also) receiver along with an SD TiVo. HD channels on DTV (including ESPN-HD) are only 10.99/ mo. extra. And the free channels include NBC, ABC, CBS, TBS, UPN, and WB so far (Fox (WAGA) supposedly will be 720p this year).

My statement was that there is no inexpensive way to watch OTA Digital channels. I never said it was unacceptable. At the moment I do not have any HD or DTV capable anything. If I were to buy at a HDTV set today I would still need a HD/DTV receiver, then if I wanted to keep TiVo I would also need to have my SA TiVo. I am saying that it starts to become more attractive to me if I were to buy a HDTV then buy a HDTivo and if that is all I wanted then I could dump cable and sell my SA TiVo. Little better having 2 TiVo's and Comcast Dig Cable box and whatever else...

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 08:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gregd33 Find more posts by Gregd33 Add Gregd33 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

quote:
Some aspect ratio control is available (but I couldn't get a demonstration). Hopefully, I'll find someone who knows more on Thursday. More (and pictures) to follow.

First, thank you very much for the info!

I have read that the aspect will be controlled by a switch on the unit itself and NOT automatically or via remote. Can you confirm this if you happen to get a chance?

Thanks again for any and all info!

Are you not entertained? Are you NOT ENTERTAINED!? Is this not why you are here?

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AstroPHX is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AstroPHX Find more posts by AstroPHX Add AstroPHX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AstroPHX
Paradiddle

MikeSRC: Thank you so much for posting that info. I'm drooling with anticipation...

Now, can someone tell me what the "serial jack" is?

Also, can someone please logically explain to me why they haven't included a LAN jack yet? I really, truely, honestly can't come up with a logical reason for this.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 10:50 PM
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
Originally posted by AstroPHX

Now, can someone tell me what the "serial jack" is?

Also, can someone please logically explain to me why they haven't included a LAN jack yet? I really, truely, honestly can't come up with a logical reason for this. [/B]

Currently the serial jack on a TiVo is to control another component like a cable box. Beyond that I don't know if it has ever served much other purpose.

The reason they have not included a LAN jack is because they opted to include 2 USB ports. Currently you can use the USB port to connect a wired or wireless network adapter. So I guess that is a reason but I am not sure. USB ports can be used for a wider range of things where as the LAN jack is very specific. I certainly could also be entirely wrong.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
The reason they have not included a LAN jack is because they opted to include 2 USB ports. Currently you can use the USB port to connect a wired or wireless network adapter. So I guess that is a reason but I am not sure. USB ports can be used for a wider range of things where as the LAN jack is very specific. I certainly could also be entirely wrong.

The USB ports also make it easier to handle different LAN types. USB->Wireless LAN adapters are more readily available and less costly than 10/100baseT->Wireless LAN devices. Setting up a wired LAN in an old house can be, er, challenging for a DIYer, if they don't want wires strewn across the floors.

I can't imagine that it would be difficult for a 3rd-party licensee to add on-board Ethernet, given the roots of the underlying OS.

Has TiVo ever mentioned what percentage of their customers use broadband full-time?

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

25 hours, 18 minutes, and counting...

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

svr3kowner is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for svr3kowner Find more posts by svr3kowner Add svr3kowner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
svr3kowner
Future HD-DVR250'er!

Pricing of HD-DVR250

Has anyone else heard that the new HD DVR will be $499 for new subs and $699 for existing?

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

Re: Pricing of HD-DVR250

quote:
Originally posted by svr3kowner
Has anyone else heard that the new HD DVR will be $499 for new subs and $699 for existing?

Only from the same place everone else heard it from.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

svr3kowner is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for svr3kowner Find more posts by svr3kowner Add svr3kowner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
svr3kowner
Future HD-DVR250'er!

Someone emailed me asking if I had heard, so I don't know where everyone else heard it from.

Where did everyone else hear it from?

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RightHere is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RightHere Find more posts by RightHere Add RightHere to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RightHere

quote:
They did not know if it would support an additional hard drive. No Home Media option is planned. Some aspect ratio control is available (but I couldn't get a demonstration). Hopefully, I'll find someone who knows more on Thursday. More (and pictures) to follow.
Well, I personally don't care about the HMO option, but I take this as a bad sign. Doesn't the 4.0 version of Tivo include this by default? This may mean that DTV is never going to upgrade

Mike - while you're there, can you ask about the USB ports (mainly for ethernet connectivity)?

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Envara has a 2-chip solution that can provide built-in 802.11a/b/g support to a product. Cost is about $35 each in OEM quantities. They also have a 802.11g-only 2-chip solution for about $28 each in OEM quantities.

The Intel 82562 10/100 Ethernet LAN chipset is $6.375 in quantities of 1,000.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 11:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

quote:
The back panel has the following: HDMI out, Component video out, S-video and composite video out, optical digital audio out, 2-channel analog audio out, 2 satellite inputs, one antenna input, phone jack, serial jack and IR jack.

Um, no USB?

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 12:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
Where did everyone else hear it from?

Hmmm, the $700 price is kind of reported in this post, and kind of confirmed in this one (I mean confirmed only in that what appears to be two different people got the same info from two different sources, and Dan Collins seems to get decent info on this stuff). I could have sworn I've seen the cheaper price for new customers listed before two, but I'm not sure where. Hell, maybe I started that rumor.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

Last edited by Darin on 01-08-2004 at 12:16 AM

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AstroPHX is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 01:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AstroPHX Find more posts by AstroPHX Add AstroPHX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AstroPHX
Paradiddle

quote:
The reason they have not included a LAN jack is because they opted to include 2 USB ports.

Maybe I missed something in Mike's post, but I didn't see USB in the list of components he had seen. I'm comfortable with USB if that's what they've done and will stop hyperventilating.

(edit...)
Sorry, tfederov... didn't see that you beat me to the "no USB" post...

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Possibly overlooked them.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

It would explain why there were no plans for HMO any time soon!

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dvdude is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dvdude Find more posts by dvdude Add dvdude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dvdude

quote:
Anyone able to confirm this info on pricing? ($499 for New Subs, $699 for Existing)????

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...499#post3158317

If they do that, I'll probably drop Direct TV altogether. I'm fed up of being a long term customer in good standing who gets to subsidize new customers while getting nothing in return.

Andy

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged