TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> TiVo Press Conference <<<

Pages (9): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MikeSRC is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeSRC Visit MikeSRC's homepage! Find more posts by MikeSRC Add MikeSRC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeSRC
Tivo Veteran

I did not see a USB port anywhere. They said that pricing had not been set yet and there were no plans to offer any kind of deal up front, but who knows. Aspect ratio control is supposed to be by on-screen menu via remote. They will be annoucing the addition of some new HD channels tomorrow, don't know what or when yet. I do have a picture of the rear of the unit, but I'm on death-slow dial-up here, so I don't know when I'll be able to post it.

Mike

SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com
(Original SA Tivo now in its 60th month of use)

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AstroPHX is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AstroPHX Find more posts by AstroPHX Add AstroPHX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AstroPHX
Paradiddle

quote:
Originally posted by dvdude
If they do that, I'll probably drop Direct TV altogether. I'm fed up of being a long term customer in good standing who gets to subsidize new customers while getting nothing in return.

<devil's advocate>DVDude, if you drop DTV, you may also want to get rid of your cell phone, home phone, get rid of your car, and not buy airline tickets within 7 days of the flight any longer. Many, many companies offer low intro rates to new customers because of the long-term return.</devil's advocate>

That said, I'm not sure they're going to need to offer a discounted price, as many people will be willing to pay a higer price to get a better product. As much as I'd love it to be sub $500, I'm simply going to be listening attentively tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AstroPHX is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AstroPHX Find more posts by AstroPHX Add AstroPHX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AstroPHX
Paradiddle

quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
I did not see a USB port anywhere.

Crapcrapcrapcrap. I will be steaming mad if they didn't offer some way to network. C'mon guys! Use your head!

Auggie and Feldon seemed to be pretty quick to the thinking that USB is offered... Do you guys know something the rest of us dont?

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jkrell is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jkrell Find more posts by jkrell Add jkrell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkrell

Why so important to have networking?

I'm just curious... why is networking functionality so important. It'd be one thing if we could remotely schedule recordings and share programming over a home network, but just for the "daily call" I don't see the point. Am I missing something?

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dvdude is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dvdude Find more posts by dvdude Add dvdude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dvdude

quote:
Originally posted by AstroPHX
<devil's advocate>DVDude, if you drop DTV, you may also want to get rid of your cell phone, home phone, get rid of your car, and not buy airline tickets within 7 days of the flight any longer. Many, many companies offer low intro rates to new customers because of the long-term return.</devil's advocate>

I understand where you're coming from. I understand that the business model is a popular one. And yes, I'm probably making a big deal of it, but - I dropped AT&T for all services because of this. At the time, I had 'em for long distance, cellphone and internet. They promised a rate drop from $15 to $5 (Dial-up) for existing customers "in a few weeks" when they started offering $5 internet access to new customers. I called and asked what they meant by "a few weeks" and was told it'd be sometime before <specific month> but after the end of that month came and went, I switched long distance to Sprint, Cellular to Verizon and Cablevision got to be my ISP.

I just wish there was a greater loyalty FROM some of these companies TO their existing customers than there is. After all, if DTV let's new customers into HD-TiVo for $200 less than you - they're using YOUR money for that subsidy (as all the money they get is collectively your money). The bottom line? Just because the existing "never mind about our current customers, what can we do for new ones" philosophy is popular doesn't make it a good idea - it takes the co-operation of the existing customer base (or rather, a lack of objections) to make it successful. The thing that amazes me is how complacent about these practices most people seem to be - like they expect to get crapped on. I honestly just don't get it.....

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
I understand where you're coming from. I understand that the business model is a popular one. And yes, I'm probably making a big deal of it, but - I dropped AT&T for all services because of this. At the time, I had 'em for long distance, cellphone and internet. They promised a rate drop from $15 to $5 (Dial-up) for existing customers "in a few weeks" when they started offering $5 internet access to new customers. I called and asked what they meant by "a few weeks" and was told it'd be sometime before <specific month> but after the end of that month came and went, I switched long distance to Sprint, Cellular to Verizon and Cablevision got to be my ISP.

I just wish there was a greater loyalty FROM some of these companies TO their existing customers than there is. After all, if DTV let's new customers into HD-TiVo for $200 less than you - they're using YOUR money for that subsidy (as all the money they get is collectively your money). The bottom line? Just because the existing "never mind about our current customers, what can we do for new ones" philosophy is popular doesn't make it a good idea - it takes the co-operation of the existing customer base (or rather, a lack of objections) to make it successful. The thing that amazes me is how complacent about these practices most people seem to be - like they expect to get crapped on. I honestly just don't get it.....

But for many people it's a subsidy you already got yourself, so they're simply giving similar incentives to new subscribers... incentives that ins some form were available to you when you were a new subscriber.

And DirecTV does have the infamous retention department, which regularly hands out $20 off for 6 months on Total Choice Premier and other such deals to those "thinking of canceling."

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 02:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
Crapcrapcrapcrap. I will be steaming mad if they didn't offer some way to network. C'mon guys! Use your head!

Auggie and Feldon seemed to be pretty quick to the thinking that USB is offered... Do you guys know something the rest of us dont?

In my case it is blind assumption. I see no reason why they would not included USB in the SA HDTiVo if for no other reason than to be able use your broadband network to download guide data and get software updates. At the moment I have 2 tivos and I don't have HMO, but I still have them hooked to my network so they can phone home they way they should - through the freaking internet.

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mercurial is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mercurial Visit mercurial's homepage! Find more posts by mercurial Add mercurial to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mercurial
Not-So-New Member

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
But for many people it's a subsidy you already got yourself, so they're simply giving similar incentives to new subscribers... incentives that ins some form were available to you when you were a new subscriber.

And DirecTV does have the infamous retention department, which regularly hands out $20 off for 6 months on Total Choice Premier and other such deals to those "thinking of canceling."

I'm one of those that gets a little ticked off when I see new customers get a better deal than I can but I rationalize it a few ways:

1) I got such a deal when I started so I can't be too greedy...
2) There typically some customer loyalty deals that come down that new customers can't get. They may be fewer and further between but you still get them.
3) More customers == more $$ for D* == more money they can put into things like new satellites and adding features/upgrading features in the TiVo software == happier existing customers with more channels/features/better PQ/faster HDTV channel roll-out.
4) More customers also means more people bugging them for HMO and other features.

I know 3 is a bit idealistic but I think there is probably a bit of trickle-down for the rest of us that we need to remember.

And remember, if you gripe and moan to the right people loudly enough, you might be able to get the new subscriber pricing on the sly as a customer retention tool.

DirecTV HR10-250 w/ 30 HD hours.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
I just wish there was a greater loyalty FROM some of these companies TO their existing customers than there is. After all, if DTV let's new customers into HD-TiVo for $200 less than you - they're using YOUR money for that subsidy...

But you also have to consider that many of the costs of running a satellite company are fixed, so the more customers they have, the lower the cost can be while still staying profitable. So they're using our money to help get new customers, and using THEIR money to help keep OUR rates affordable. In the end, it's all a wash. If they offered those deals to all customers all the time, they'd have to raise rates to compensate (they aren't in business to lose money). The new customer incentive helps them better compete with cable, as getting cable is relatively cheap and easy compared to satellite, though generally more expensive on a monthly basis. As Doug already pointed out, you likely already got a deal to get in the door, and are now able to enjoy more value for your money.

Each of us as DirecTV customers should WANT DirecTV to continue to get more customers, as that gives them the revenue to continue to offer more service for our subscription fees. Personally, I won't feel one bit slighted if a new customer can get a better deal on an HD-DirecTiVo than I can. BUT, I'm not so loyal that I'd continue to be a customer if I felt I could get a better overall value elsewhere. THAT is what you should base your decision on.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dvdude is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 03:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dvdude Find more posts by dvdude Add dvdude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dvdude

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow

This is dragging the whole thing off topic, so I'll make this my last post regarding all this - if anyone wants to start a new thread or continue via PM, I'm more than willing to participate.

In my particular case, I didn't get any incentives. I bought my first DTV system (a Sony SAT-B1 and 18" dish) from Sears in 1995 for $850 plus $100 installation fee. I knew the cost of the gear would come down, and it didn't irk me when they started this "new customer incentive" thing. But, like I said, it's only with the cooperation of the existing customer base that they can adopt the philosophy. This time, it's different. HD-TiVo is something everyone on this board wants. I'm gonna feel seriously kicked if new D* customers get a chunk of money lopped off at my expense. I know of one company (sadly, only one) that has made it their philosophy to actually reward their loyal customers with discounts and a dividend check every year (anyone who knows New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance understands this). Every year they become more successful, the businiess is growing steadily without any additional incentives to new customers. I don't think I've even seen a commercial for them. All that in a state that most insurance co's (even the big ones) won't touch with a 10 foot barge pole. Which just proves that it can be done.

How good I would feel with a simple "You've been a customer of ours for x years, so there won't be a bill this month"! It'd certainly feel better than "ok, you're already hooked so now we're going to take some of your money and give it to others who aren't customers at all yet - thanks for 9 years worth of subs though".

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AstroPHX is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 03:27 AM
AstroPHX
Paradiddle

Re: Why so important to have networking?

quote:
Originally posted by jkrell
I'm just curious... why is networking functionality so important. It'd be one thing if we could remotely schedule recordings and share programming over a home network, but just for the "daily call" I don't see the point. Am I missing something?

Thinking of just the daily call is too shortsighted, and you're on the right track for remote scheduling. One thing that I loved about TiVo when I originally purchased it is that it was so superior to other products out there. But by not offering a high-speed connection, they'll never be able to do things like remote management, simple multi-TiVo networking (record on A, play anywhere...), fast software updates, MP3 jukeboxing, and - in general - the next-great-idea.

The LAN connection should not be thought of as an alternative to the phone connection. It should be thought of as the gateway to the future for TiVo. The simple fact that so many people have hacked away at the TiVo to give it some pretty cool and (in some cases) rather obscure after-market functionality should help TiVo understand that the box they're selling right now may only be a fraction of what the box could do tomorrow.

(added thought...)
Let's also not forget that there's a great big company in the Pacific northwest that likes to keep its finger on the "next great idea." If TiVo isn't careful, and isn't keeping their eyes on the next step, their great idea of a PVR will only be a quaint memory as we're all running the 2006 version of Media Center Super Special Home Edition.

Last edited by AstroPHX on 01-08-2004 at 03:37 AM

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 03:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

I too paid over $800 (though installed it myself) for my first generation RCA DirecTV receiver and satellite dish. But I got something out of it that was priceless: getting satellite television and being able to dump cable.

And as I've added receivers, I've gotten, at times, various discounts that are available to new subscribers, too. I also paid relatively "full price" for my SAT-T60... but I got TiVo functionality, also priceless, from the moment they were available.

Over the time I've had DirecTV, it would appear I've spent somewher eon the order of $10,000 in subscription fees -- probably more back in the days I used PPV a lot, since I'm just looking at monthly costs for regular subscriptions and mirroring fees.

If DirecTV offered me a $200 discount for being a long-term customer when I buy my HDTiVo, so be it, but it'd seem to pale in comparison the money I've invested over the years anyway. That I get the services I want is far more important to me.

I'm not too worried about it. Comparatively, even a $200 new subscriber discount on an HDTiVo isn't much different than what DirecTV already "spends" on new subscribers' subsidies of equipment, and I suspect that the typical HD-enabled DirecTV subscriber probably produces a bit more average revenue, too, so a bit higher subsidy might be appropriate.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jkrell is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 05:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jkrell Find more posts by jkrell Add jkrell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkrell

quote:
Thinking of just the daily call is too shortsighted, and you're on the right track for remote scheduling. One thing that I loved about TiVo when I originally purchased it is that it was so superior to other products out there. But by not offering a high-speed connection, they'll never be able to do things like remote management, simple multi-TiVo networking (record on A, play anywhere...), fast software updates, MP3 jukeboxing, and - in general - the next-great-idea.

The LAN connection should not be thought of as an alternative to the phone connection. It should be thought of as the gateway to the future for TiVo. The simple fact that so many people have hacked away at the TiVo to give it some pretty cool and (in some cases) rather obscure after-market functionality should help TiVo understand that the box they're selling right now may only be a fraction of what the box could do tomorrow.

I agree with a *LOT* of what you said, and even said some similar things on another post over in the other DirecTiVo forum, regarding being lost in the dust if they don't continue to innovate. I would *LOVE* to have remote scheduling and the ability to record on one and watch on another (although interoperatability of HDTV and non-HDTV TiVos is probably too much to ask). I don't care so much how long the software updates take and I don't care about MP3 or Media Center functionaility, because I feel that other devices will do this better than TiVo ever could.

HOWEVER, despite the fact that I agree with you on all of this potential functionality, WE WILL NEVER GET IT BECAUSE DIRECTV FEARS CHANGE. They will never give us any of these cool features. We won't get HMO. It is just never going to happen. So who cares, quite frankly, whether we have ports on the back of our TiVos that DirecTV will disable anyway??!??! I know this is not very optimistic of me, but there it is.

I love TiVo. But I fear their future innovations (if they continue to have them) will be horded by the SA owners and not us DirecTiVo owners.

I hope I am someday forced to eat my words...

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 06:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

Most cell phone companies will give the existing customers the same price on new phones if they sign up for another year (or 2).

The current HD receiver deal, which is good for current customers, makes you keep total choice for a year.

I know NEW customers are attractive to D*, but guaranteeing themselves $400+ in subscriber fees for $200 off of a box seems like something they'd want to make available to as many people as possible

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rleffler is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 06:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rleffler Find more posts by rleffler Add rleffler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rleffler
HD Tivo Owner

So what was covered in the press conference, for those of us that were unable to listen?

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

I think the press conference is tomorrow...

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DLiquid is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 07:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DLiquid Visit DLiquid's homepage! Find more posts by DLiquid Add DLiquid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DLiquid
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale

Host: Mike Ramsay, Chairman and CEO of TiVo

What: TiVo press conference from the 2004 International Consumer
Electronics Show

When: Thursday, January 8, 2004; 11:00 a.m. PT

Where: Dial-in: 719-457-2625; Password: 180587

Replay dial-in: 719-457-0820; Password: 180587

Webcast: www.tivo.com/ir

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Oknarf is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 08:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Oknarf Visit Oknarf's homepage! Find more posts by Oknarf Add Oknarf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oknarf

Thumbs down Re: Re: Why so important to have networking?

quote:
... If TiVo isn't careful, and isn't keeping their eyes on the next step, their great idea of a PVR will only be a quaint memory as we're all running the 2006 version of Media Center Super Special Home Edition.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114174,00.asp

What kills me is that everyone is trying to sell you a new "box" even though we already have teh capability to do exactly this if DirecTV would just get off their lazy asses. and we are willing to pay for it also, you opinon may vary.

300-600 for a box that let's you access the net and share mp3 and video stored on your PC? Microsoft has to be kidding. XBox already does this, hacked and not. Tivo can do this, wake up DirecTV, and their are many off the shelf solutions both wired and wirelss that do it for alot less. Ignoring the fact that Microsofts solution is for Media Center PC's and not XP when you can't even buy a MCE upgrade so again they are hitting you with the "buy new hardware" stick. This is just stupid, IMO.

FrankO

?
Hughes HTL-HD Receiver
DSR708
DSR708
HDVR2
DSR6000R01

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeSRC is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeSRC Visit MikeSRC's homepage! Find more posts by MikeSRC Add MikeSRC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeSRC
Tivo Veteran

Sorry guys, I believe I was wrong about it not having a USB port. Looking at the picture again it looks like there are two behind a cable that was partially obscuring them.

Mike

SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com
(Original SA Tivo now in its 60th month of use)

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

W Auggie H is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 09:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for W Auggie H Visit W Auggie H's homepage! Find more posts by W Auggie H Add W Auggie H to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
Sorry guys, I believe I was wrong about it not having a USB port. Looking at the picture again it looks like there are two behind the cable that was partially obscuring them.

I had a hard time believing they would not include USB ports. This is good news. I guess the question now is are they USB 2.0 high speed?

Humax DRT800 DVD-R/TiVo(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
TiVo Series2(80hr) - networked w/ D-Link DUB-E100 (Ethernet)
Philips 30PW850H 30" Widescreen HDTV

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged