TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> MSRP Will Be $999 & Available starting March <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
smak is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 07:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc
This would almost be welcome news.

At $700 I still couldn't afford it but could really stretch and make it happen. But it would hurt.

At a grand I'm not going to even think about it.

But you've already committed $700, so it's really only $300 more.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 08:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

quote:
Originally posted by smak

-smak-

Eh, it's more like I can swing $400 and I'm willing to not eat for a few months to make up the other $300.

$1000 is simply too much money for me right now.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 08:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Eh, it's more like I can swing $400 and I'm willing to not eat for a few months to make up the other $300.

yes but it is only $792 Euros

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 08:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

quote:
Originally posted by scottchez
Use the Dish 921 has one less OTA tuner but it does have One Firewire out put jack that Dish has confirmed will be turned on by April. The HDTivo does not have the Firewire.

The thing about Dish is that... Can it be really "April"? How long have they delayed 921?

quote:
It is also missing the Coax Out and one Componet video Input jack.

Personally, I don't see the uses of component video input. Is it just for switching? HD Tivo does not have MPEG-2 encoder, so it's not like it can record it.

Hong.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Having an RF modulator output on the HD TiVo would be like offering CGA video modes on an ATI Radeon. But if you must have it, they're real cheap to buy and can be connected to the composite and audio left/right outputs.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilsonc is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 12:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wilsonc Find more posts by wilsonc Add wilsonc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilsonc

quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
Uhhhh, MSRP on the 921 is also $999. The $600 is the *upgrade* price from the 821 offered in the $999 "total" HDTV package they are selling.

Ummm...you must have missed the part about if you already have an HDTV, then they will give you the HD receiever for free and if you want the HDTV DVR, then you pay the $600. See this thread for the details.

quote:
For new customers who already have an HD monitor, DISH Network offers a promotion making the DISH 811 HD satellite TV receiver available for free. The DISH Player-DVR 921 is available for a $600 upgrade when customers purchase the DISH Network HDTV system. The DISH Player-DVR 921 features a 250-gigabyte hard drive capable of recording up to 25 hours of high-definition video or up to 180 hours of standard definition content, or a combination of both.

Last edited by wilsonc on 01-10-2004 at 12:15 PM

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MCodanti is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 12:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MCodanti Find more posts by MCodanti Add MCodanti to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCodanti

quote:
Originally posted by wilsonc
Ummm...you must have missed the part about if you already have an HDTV, then they will give you the HD receiever for free and if you want the HDTV DVR, then you pay the $600. See this thread for the details.

Well you must have not read what you quoted:

quote:
The DISH Player-DVR 921 is available for a $600 upgrade when customers purchase the DISH Network HDTV system.

It is a $600 upgrade when you buy their $1000 HDTV system. Or at least that is how I read it. I doubt the first sentence is unrelated to the free 811 deal.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

goony is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 12:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for goony Find more posts by goony Add goony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
goony

Here's another report from the CES on the HD DirecTivo.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

goony is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 12:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for goony Find more posts by goony Add goony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
goony

quote:
The thing about Dish is that... Can it be really "April"? How long have they delayed 921?

Sure, it will be available April 1st!!!

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nabsltd is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nabsltd Find more posts by nabsltd Add nabsltd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nabsltd

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Having an RF modulator output on the HD TiVo would be like offering CGA video modes on an ATI Radeon.
...unless it was an 8-VSB modulator. That would allow easy transfer of the HD material to a computer with an HD tuner card. Before anybody asks...never gonna happen.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jonnyboy7 is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 01:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jonnyboy7 Find more posts by jonnyboy7 Add jonnyboy7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonnyboy7

quote:
Originally posted by smak

-smak-

Er, but that's 3/7ths additional cost -- suggesting that the final product will be 10/7ths of what he's willing to pay.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 01:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by nabsltd
...unless it was an 8-VSB modulator. That would allow easy transfer of the HD material to a computer with an HD tuner card. Before anybody asks...never gonna happen.
Nice theory, but unfortunately an 8VSB modulator would require an MPEG-2 encoded source. So it's doubly never gonna happen. Otherwise there may as well be a firewire output on the thing.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Archangel is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 10:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Archangel Find more posts by Archangel Add Archangel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Archangel
Advanced Member

If the $999 MSRP turns out to be correct....I look at it the same as the new Apple mini iPods.

No manufacturer can raise the price on a product....so they left themselves room for price reductions....but probably not until the first wave is sold out. So probably no discounts until summer.

On the other hand...it also leaves them room to offer a special discount with a DirecTV program package upgrade. Upgrade your sat receiver and HD programming package...at a discount. This sounds more like a Rupert Murdoch move...than just a simple $999 price tag.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilsonc is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wilsonc Find more posts by wilsonc Add wilsonc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilsonc

quote:
Originally posted by MCodanti
Well you must have not read what you quoted:

It is a $600 upgrade when you buy their $1000 HDTV system. Or at least that is how I read it. I doubt the first sentence is unrelated to the free 811 deal.

I just called their 1-800-WOW number and was told, yes, you can buy the $600 upgrade.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 10:18 PM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by wilsonc
I just called their 1-800-WOW number and was told, yes, you can buy the $600 upgrade.
Of course you can buy the $600 upgrade. Now did you ask if you can buy JUST the 921 for $600?

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilsonc is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 10:22 PM
wilsonc

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Of course you can buy the $600 upgrade. Now did you ask if you can buy JUST the 921 for $600?

I specifically said I already have an HDTV and heard that you would give the HD receiver for free and asked could I still purchase the upgrade for to the DVR for $600 and they said yes.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

While the $600 price for the 921 is good news, the bad news is I think that promotion ends at the end of the month. So it could be irrelevant to the HD-Dtivo pricing by the time we can order it. Dish is being smart by forcing people's hands before they have the option of DirecTV's HD PVR offering.

Of course, the next question is, how fast can Dish deliver the 921 in volume? If you go ahead & order a 921 on the 31st, you might be able to order a TiVo by the time they can fulfill the order. Then you could call DirecTV and say "I've got this Dish PVR on order for $600..."

Hmmmm.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JTAnderson is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JTAnderson Find more posts by JTAnderson Add JTAnderson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JTAnderson

quote:

Good. That will improve the chance that I can actually score one in March or April.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vstone is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vstone Find more posts by vstone Add vstone to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vstone

Any word anywhere on whether the disk interface will be ATA or SATA?

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

I'm afraid I'm with Bryan on this. I remember a year ago when we were debating what the cost would be... some thought it would be around $1,200. I felt certain that it would have to come in at or under the $1k mark... I'd buy it at that price, but anything over that I thought was ridiculous. Well, a year has passed, and I'm pulling my offer! Now I even think $999 is too much. I was prepared for $699, and willing to spend it. But if it's really going to cost $1k, I'll sit it out till the price drops substantially. Which I hate, because I hate watching SD now that I've gotten used to HD, and I hate having to give up the convenience of TiVo to watch HD.

I know some of you are glad to read posts like this, because you think it will help you get one faster, but I really don't think it's going to make much of a difference. I don't remember a HUGE backlog for the series 2 boxes, and those were something everyone could buy, not just people with HD. I just don't think there are going to be so many people that will pay that kind of money for an HD box, that they won't be able to keep up with demand. There are just too many other options becoming available, and they will HAVE to price accordingly. I WILL pay a premium for a TiVo, over some free DVR like some cable companies are starting to roll out, but not $1k.

Competition is really starting to heat up in both DVRs and HD. I'll give them some time to make it available for a more reasonable price, but I think they're fools if it doesn't drop in price fairly soon. Fortunately, I don't think they are fools.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged